Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

0 members and 2,905 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Hobbies/Passions Other than Reptiles - Who are you other than a herp lover?

1. Cars and driving. My other half and I accumulated some cool cars and motorcycles. I was fortunate to be able to keep them all when he passed. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, a 1980 Corvette and a 2003 ZO6 Corvette (all originally his), plus my 2007 Chrysler Crossfire (daily driver) and 2010 Dodge Challenger. We each had a Harley, 1995 Softail Custom for him and 1999 Heritage Springer for me. I don’t know near as much about the mechanics and nuances between models like he did, but love to drive and look. The journey is every bit as important as the destination. We’ve ridden from Virginia to Montana twice, Virginia to Arizona & Utah once, and all up and down the east coast to the gulf coast a few times. Then we repeated some of those trips in one of the cars. I will always come home, but if money were no object I would point the front wheels west and roam.

2. Reading. Mostly fiction: fantasy, paranormal, historical romance, mystery, espionage, psychological thrillers, classics, and literary fiction. I also dabble in nonfiction, some history, science and biography. Basically Amazon can’t figure out what to suggest, so each day I get an assortment of suggestions with any mix of the above. This is my biggest pass time and very relaxing at the end of the day.

3. Quilting, mostly machine quilting but want to try my hand at full-on hand quilting. Mostly I’ve made lap quilts or baby quilts, though nothing in the last year. Time just hasn’t been on my side.

4. Almost forgot the biggest one other than snakes! I collect antique and art glass, mostly Fenton art glass and carnival glass. I like the shiny things.

Most weekends find me at local cruise ins where I meet up with other car folks to look at cars and chew the fat.
    Last edited by Dianne; 04-02-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-03-2019),dakski (04-03-2019)

Thanks

I guess I'm pretty boring and pretty much a solitary individual I stay at home a lot with my 4 dogs and two snakes.
    I have been on Unemployment for a while and that's about to run out and I think I'm going to start driving for Uber. The thought of going back to work in an office full of all the drama it comes with it's just not something I can stomach doing anymore

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 04-02-2019 at 09:07 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-15-2019)

Thanks

At this point I have way too many time consuming hobbies. I would like to cut back a bit, but where. I did cut back on one as it was getting too costly and time consuming for the gains. But here’s my list, with pictures if I have any.

1- the one I’ve cut back on, long range
    Shooting. A few buddies and I started stretching the distances quite a bit, so I put together a 284win on a Savage 10 action with a 32” pack or barrel. I’ve put about 1000 rounds down range with it at 1000 yards, keeping a majority of shots well within 1/2gallon milk jugs. And a few times have rung steel at 1740 yards with it.

2- fly fishing and fly tying

3 - building and shooting wooden bow. (And kilt wearing) this was my hunting get up this last fall. The bow is a 68# at 27” walnut heartwood English longbow. and a 70# at 29” black locust recurve. BTW, I hand sewed and tanned everything but the kilt in the full getup picture. In addition to making the bow, arrows and quiver.

4 - I do some trapping and hide tanning come winter time, mostly for beaver, muskrat, and try for otter.

5- I’ve recently gotten into PCP air rifles and currently have a hatsan flash in 22. Lots of fun, quiet and more accurate than the average 22lr rifle. But still knocks a squirrel flat with minimal damage to about 70 yards

6- I’ve been training Brazilian JiuJitsu 3 days per week for going on 2 years now. Hoping to see the blue belt about the time the 2 year mark rolls around, currently a 3 stripe white belt

7- to supplement the BJJ and shooting. Heavy draw read bows. I spend about 4 hours per week in the gym doing lots of body weight manipulation type excerciees and compound power lifting lifts. So far I’m up about 20# over my beginning mass. And still creeping up in weight as I change to more complex excercises, have started eating better and taking amino acid supplements.

8- Anime, I have a few anime series I like to keep up with, especially Fairy Tail at the moment.

I know there are still more things, but I can’t quite recollect what they would be at the moment

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kroberts10 For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-03-2023),dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019),Jbabycsx (04-03-2019)

Thanks

Currently I don’t really have any time for anything other than school I’m working on finishing up my graduate degree in biology. My research is focused on zooplankton population dynamics in response to biotic and abiotic factors. I’m primarily concerned about biotic (predation) within the system I’m working with. I’m going to be running bioenergetic modeling for multiple species to determine lake wide biomass consumption spatially (vertical) and temporally. Along with bioenergetic modeling I will be incorporating niche overlap models to determine the impact of nonnative salmonids on native populations. My thesis is coming along nicely and field season starts up again pretty soon. Right now I’m getting ready for a conference, yippee haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019)

Thanks

I do a lot of art in my free time! I do digital pieces, as well as acrylic painting. I've done many commissions for people over the years and I'm constantly working to get better and better! I enjoy drawing and painting animals the most, as I'm a HUGE animal nerd. I'd love to combine my love of reptiles and my art and start a series of snake appreciation pieces, and maybe start doing pet portraits for people (I've done dogs/cats, but I'd love to paint peoples' reptiles!)

I also play many, many hours of video games! By far my favorite game right now is Red Dead Redemption II, which I played through, went back and played the first one, and now I re-downloaded and I'm playing through the second again... lol. I really appreciate a good story-driven game, and Bioshock, RDR, Assassin's Creed (Ezio series), and the Outlast trilogy are among my favorite titles!

And of course, I really enjoy the outdoors, whether it's physical activity (disc golf, tennis, hiking, cycling, swimming, etc), or just getting a breath of fresh air away from the noise. My husband and I go hunting often, especially hogs and dove, even though I've proven to myself that I don't have the mental constitution for killing things. My favorite part of hunting is the field dressing, and if we ever moved out to the country, I would love to start my own deer processing and taxidermy shop! My husband and I are also really big into dirt bikes; we try to go to as many motocross and flat track events as we can, and enjoy going out to recreation parks to kick up some dirt!
    Last edited by wolftrap; 04-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolftrap For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-03-2019),Aspen0122 (01-03-2023),dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019)

Thanks
    Hobbies... let's see.....

Gardening: I not only grow a full veggie garden each year, but I also grow orchids and carnivorous plants. I used to have a basement greenhouse full of them, but life happened and I lost it all. Still grown US native carnivores like sarrecenia and flytraps outside and have a few less fussy orchids hanging around the house.

Fishing: I fish for everything from perch to salmon to pike and have caught nearly everything that lives in NY waters over the years. Only things still on my to do list are muskie, sturgeon, and bowfin.

Wine and mead making: I have always liked wine and mead, and recently have gotten deep into the method and science of making my own, especially mead, since good mead is hard to come by commercially. Since last October I've made 12 different kinds of mead and 3 kinds of wine, and all have been better than the last. May even make a business out of it, since everyone who has had it keeps asking for more. Lol

Video games: I like action and rpgs, elder scrolls and fallout are my jam, and am currently playing red dead redemption 2.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-03-2019),dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

There are so many people with such cool hobbies and interesting lives on here! I am pretty boring lol. I have two younger kids (ages 2 and 4), so most of my free time when not working is taken up by parenting. We try to go to some fun places on the weekends (museums, aquarium, the zoo) and spend a lot of time outside when it's summer. Otherwise I enjoy reading (mainly fiction and sci-fi/fantasy), binge watching various shows on Netflix, and coloring.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019),Sonny1318 (04-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    1. Cars and driving. My other half and I accumulated some cool cars and motorcycles. I was fortunate to be able to keep them all when he passed. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, a 1980 Corvette and a 2003 ZO6 Corvette (all originally his), plus my 2007 Chrysler Crossfire (daily driver) and 2010 Dodge Challenger. We each had a Harley, 1995 Softail Custom for him and 1999 Heritage Springer for me. I don’t know near as much about the mechanics and nuances between models like he did, but love to drive and look. The journey is every bit as important as the destination. We’ve ridden from Virginia to Montana twice, Virginia to Arizona & Utah once, and all up and down the east coast to the gulf coast a few times. Then we repeated some of those trips in one of the cars. I will always come home, but if money were no object I would point the front wheels west and roam.

2. Reading. Mostly fiction: fantasy, paranormal, historical romance, mystery, espionage, psychological thrillers, classics, and literary fiction. I also dabble in nonfiction, some history, science and biography. Basically Amazon can’t figure out what to suggest, so each day I get an assortment of suggestions with any mix of the above. This is my biggest pass time and very relaxing at the end of the day.

3. Quilting, mostly machine quilting but want to try my hand at full-on hand quilting. Mostly I’ve made lap quilts or baby quilts, though nothing in the last year. Time just hasn’t been on my side.

4. Almost forgot the biggest one other than snakes! I collect antique and art glass, mostly Fenton art glass and carnival glass. I like the shiny things.

Most weekends find me at local cruise ins where I meet up with other car folks to look at cars and chew the fat.
    Very cool hobbies!

Might be getting into Bikes too. Katie's father rides! We will see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I guess I'm pretty boring and pretty much a solitary individual I stay at home a lot with my 4 dogs and two snakes.
    I have been on Unemployment for a while and that's about to run out and I think I'm going to start driving for Uber. The thought of going back to work in an office full of all the drama it comes with it's just not something I can stomach doing anymore

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Hang in there. Your attitude is great! That's key.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Hobbies... let's see.....

Gardening: I not only grow a full veggie garden each year, but I also grow orchids and carnivorous plants. I used to have a basement greenhouse full of them, but life happened and I lost it all. Still grown US native carnivores like sarrecenia and flytraps outside and have a few less fussy orchids hanging around the house.

Fishing: I fish for everything from perch to salmon to pike and have caught nearly everything that lives in NY waters over the years. Only things still on my to do list are muskie, sturgeon, and bowfin.

Wine and mead making: I have always liked wine and mead, and recently have gotten deep into the method and science of making my own, especially mead, since good mead is hard to come by commercially. Since last October I've made 12 different kinds of mead and 3 kinds of wine, and all have been better than the last. May even make a business out of it, since everyone who has had it keeps asking for more. Lol

Video games: I like action and rpgs, elder scrolls and fallout are my jam, and am currently playing red dead redemption 2.
    Awesome on making wine and mead. I age beer and cigars, but whiskey is already aged when you get and tastes the same forever.

Thanks
    This thread is so cool!!

I'm into outdoors stuff, writing, art, and gardening. But art and writing are my first loves. I've done illustrations for a couple books, mostly sasquatch-oriented, and the publisher I worked with on a few projects was awesome enough to put out one of my novellas.

Although he's not exactly what I'd call a hobby, we're also raising a sport/working line German shepherd. By we, I mostly mean me If I wasn't in the middle of nowhere, I'd really like to join a dog club and see if I couldn't put a couple titles on him. That's just always seemed like fun to me.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    hmmm lemme see. imma try to make this as quick as possibly...

Sports - esp pro football. i've been a traveling 12 the last few years, attending away games for my Seahawks. used to play pub league soccer.
    Sneakers - can get expensive very quickly. i think me and Phil got a thread on some of our shoes and snakes lol.
    live music, live bootlegs and vinyl records - not so much these days, but i used to go to shows, mostly indie stuff, like every other night. i have TB's of live music recordings.
    Watches - nothing expensive, expensive really. just Swatches, Casio's/G-Shock's and Seiko's or whatever catches my eye. i have duplicates and almost have all the deadstock/outta production Seiko SNA 300's and SNA 700's collection. i started b/c my dad had one and it was lost when he passed. it took me like 3years to find a duplicate of that watch and i just continued.
    thriftstore knick knacks - whatever i think is cute and/or seasonal. they get putaway and then back to Goodwill when i get too much clutter.
    and lastly - politics or LGTBQ and immigrant rights. these are my human rights and issues important to me and my community, so i follow alot of it and show up to fight for it.

well damn that's a long post and i hate long posts lol.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-03-2019),dakski (04-03-2019),Dianne (04-03-2019),tttaylorrr (04-14-2019)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast