Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

0 members and 2,964 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Hobbies/Passions Other than Reptiles - Who are you other than a herp lover?

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    What kind of bike are you getting?
    2016 Triumph Street Twin.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    That's what I'm talking about, I have always wanted a Bonneville, love the classic styling. Congrats! And feel free to PM me, I will send you a bell.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Cars, I have a 74 datsun rebodied to look like a 62 ferrari with a small block chevy in it. I think ive posted it on here before. I like tech, phones, computers, programming type of stuff. Wood working, metal working, home remodeling might count as i bought a fixer upper lol. Also slowly working on building a cnc mill that can cut 4x8 sheets of wood/plastic. hopefully use that to combine a few of my hobbies and make racks and caging lol.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2019),Dianne (04-15-2019),gunkle (04-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Very cool! The Triumphs are classics. There is nothing else that compares to riding in my book. I hope to do a bit more this year. I’ll be doing Rolling Thunder in May, an event that is close to my heart. I’ve only missed it once or twice in the last 23 years. I am also planning a trip with my best friend and his son to ride Tail of the Dragon in NC....hoping for June but his son’s schedule will determine the date.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-15-2019),fadingdaylight (04-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Very cool! The Triumphs are classics. There is nothing else that compares to riding in my book. I hope to do a bit more this year. I’ll be doing Rolling Thunder in May, an event that is close to my heart. I’ve only missed it once or twice in the last 23 years. I am also planning a trip with my best friend and his son to ride Tail of the Dragon in NC....hoping for June but his son’s schedule will determine the date.
    Awesome! I want to drive the "Tail" one day too. Not sure if on bike or in my Porsche yet, but we will see.

Ultimately, I think I want a Street Triple R Low Ride height (Triumph as well), as I love the low weight and power to weight, linear and torquey motor, etc. Also, they offer a low ride height version and I am 5'4" on a good day with a 27" inseam!

HOWEVER, I NEED TO WALK BEFORE I RUN! I know that. I've been reading this, as well as other books on Motorcycling and controlling a bike. Not sure how soon that will happen, and I imagine the Street Twin will be great for now, if not forever. I really like the classic look and it's got a good amount of go.

https://smile.amazon.com/Proficient-...s%2C134&sr=8-1

I read about high performance and track day manual before getting my Porsche and my Formula car. I also, if I didn't already mention, take a 2 day, 16 hour, safety/beginner rider course.
    Last edited by dakski; 04-15-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Awesome! I want to drive the "Tail" one day too. Not sure if on bike or in my Porsche yet, but we will see.

Ultimately, I think I want a Street Triple R Low Ride height (Triumph as well), as I love the low weight and power to weight, linear and torquey motor, etc. Also, they offer a low ride height version and I am 5'4" on a good day with a 27" inseam!

HOWEVER, I NEED TO WALK BEFORE I RUN! I know that. I've been reading this, as well as other books on Motorcycling and controlling a bike. Not sure how soon that will happen, and I imagine the Street Twin will be great for now, if not forever. I really like the classic look and it's got a good amount of go.

https://smile.amazon.com/Proficient-...s%2C134&sr=8-1

I read about high performance and track day manual before getting my Porsche and my Formula car. I also, if I didn't already mention, take a 2 day, 16 hour, safety/beginner rider course.
    I’ve been all over Virginia and the Carolinas on the bikes with my other half, but we never rode Tail of the Dragon, though he was on it once in his 80 Corvette. There are plenty of little squiggly roads I have ridden in both the Blue Ridge and the Rocky Mountains around Glacier National Park. This will be a fun trip.

I’ve never taken the motorcycle course, just taught to ride by my other half. I’ve been riding for over twenty years now, all over the country in all kinds of conditions. You are right in concentrating on bikes that fit your frame. Too many folks pick out bikes that are too tall to firmly plant their feet at a stop. When you are in less than ideal conditions, especially with uneven pavement or ground that may require unplanned stops or slow walking, you will appreciate good foot placement.

The Triumph are popular bikes, and as I mentioned earlier, real classics. The power to safely get out if the way is important, and most bikes have that in spades these days. I started out with a Honda Rebel, moved to a 883 Hugger Sportster (Harley), then a 1999 Heritage Softail, and ultimately ended up with my 1999 Heritage Springer. The biggest thing is to feel comfortable on the bike. In all honesty, I am more comfortable on the larger bikes than I was on the Sportster because the seat height overall fit me better.

The book you picked up looks like it will have some good tips. Might have to pick that up myself.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’ve been all over Virginia and the Carolinas on the bikes with my other half, but we never rode Tail of the Dragon, though he was on it once in his 80 Corvette. There are plenty of little squiggly roads I have ridden in both the Blue Ridge and the Rocky Mountains around Glacier National Park. This will be a fun trip.

I’ve never taken the motorcycle course, just taught to ride by my other half. I’ve been riding for over twenty years now, all over the country in all kinds of conditions. You are right in concentrating on bikes that fit your frame. Too many folks pick out bikes that are too tall to firmly plant their feet at a stop. When you are in less than ideal conditions, especially with uneven pavement or ground that may require unplanned stops or slow walking, you will appreciate good foot placement.

The Triumph are popular bikes, and as I mentioned earlier, real classics. The power to safely get out if the way is important, and most bikes have that in spades these days. I started out with a Honda Rebel, moved to a 883 Hugger Sportster (Harley), then a 1999 Heritage Softail, and ultimately ended up with my 1999 Heritage Springer. The biggest thing is to feel comfortable on the bike. In all honesty, I am more comfortable on the larger bikes than I was on the Sportster because the seat height overall fit me better.

The book you picked up looks like it will have some good tips. Might have to pick that up myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Tail of the Dragon

If you are gonna run the Dragon, make sure you have some ground clearance on what you are riding. The place is littered with Harley parts from guys that tried to lean further than their bikes could go.

Honest, I only need one more ...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-17-2019),Dianne (04-17-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Other hobbies.

My hobby other than snakes is computers and electronics. I have a i7 4930k with 16gb ram, 6 hard drives. 3 SSD, 3 platter drives. 1x256GB, 1x512GB, and 1x1TB, for the ssd, and a 10,000 rpm 600gb Velociraptor, a 3tb WD Blue, and a 1TB. I also have the Oculus Rift <SP>. I have 2 3d printers as well. one CR-10Mini, and a CR-10S. Then I have a 4k tv 55", and a 42" 1080p tv. I used to be into car stereos as well, but I started going deaf so I gave that up. I also did Remote Control cars and drones. I still I still fly the drones, but I don't race the cars anymore. I'm groing through a phase in my life where my hobbies are changing. I stayed away from keeping reptiles for a while because my home life wasn't very stable. Now that things are more stable I am getting back into it.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-17-2019),Dianne (04-17-2019),gunkle (04-17-2019)

Thanks

"I collect spores, molds, and fungus."

I spend most of my free time listening to music and watching movies. Music-wise, I'm really digging Church of the Cosmic Skull these days. Someone said, "They put the ABBA in Black Sabbath" which I thought was perfect. I lovely describe them as Fleetwood Doom. Check out their song "Cold Sweat." Movie-wise, I've been watching Hereditary and The Witch quite a bit lately and I'm looking forward to Ari Aster's Midsommar and Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse.

As a Star Wars fan since 1977, I'm really excited to see Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, too!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeptiball For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (04-17-2019)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast