Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,229

0 members and 1,229 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Is it ok to leave on a stuck eyecap?

Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I just wanted to make sure:
    I recently moved my snake into a new cage and didn't have the humidity worked out by the time he shed, so now he has a retained eye cap. I was able to get the rest of his stuck shed off with a wet washcloth, but he would not let me get near his head. Is it safe to leave his retained eyecap on until his next shed in hope it will come off naturally, or should I attempt to remove it myself?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I personally wouldn't let it on, but you don't want to try and remove it yourself per say.

What you can do however, is soak him for a bit, then take a wet t-shirt, or a wet towel and cover his head and let him slide through it, this will allow him to get it off by himself. If you go to try and pull it off or grab it with something you can do more harm than good.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-01-2019),Bogertophis (04-01-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-01-2019),Shoyle (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    In my opinion is one eye cap isn’t going to hurt to leave until next shed. However if it doesn’t come off the next time then I would get involved. I have done this with a ball that I adopted and I upped the humidity to 75 when he was in blue and everything went great. I didn’t want to stress a snake that was already mistreated and miserable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Shoyle (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I wouldn't leave it on either...they seem to get more difficult to remove, not easier. Agree with Neal.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-01-2019),Neal (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Is it ok to leave on a stuck eyecap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I wouldn't leave it on either...they seem to get more difficult to remove, not easier. Agree with Neal.
    Im in no way saying I’m right, but in my case of having a very stressed animal that was practically abandoned, it didn’t make sense to mess with it.

Also im curious, can one eye cap do damage? I know multiple can and if the animal is having trouble then yes I’d Intervene, but if it’s just one and u know it was the cause of poor humidity, then why stree the animal? I’m asking because I know u know more than me and I’d like to know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Im in no way saying I’m right, but in my case of having a very stressed animal that was practically abandoned, it didn’t make sense to mess with it.

Also im curious, can one eye cap do damage? I know multiple can and if the animal is having trouble then yes I’d Intervene, but if it’s just one and u know it was the cause of poor humidity, then why stree the animal? I’m asking because I know u know more than me and I’d like to know.
    I've kept lots of "stressed" (rescued) snakes so let me explain a little more. It's not so much WHAT you do, but HOW you do it. I've found that when I stay calm & just
    focused on helping a snake (with whatever challenge), it's almost like they 'feel' it & know you aren't trying to hurt them.

As far as your snake not letting you get near his head, you have to learn to be subtle with snakes...instead of directly coming at them, let them crawl over & thru your
    palm, & gently encircle their head with your fingers...they learn gentle restraint this way. They may not love it, but it's also not going to cause real panic. Forcefully
    restraining a snake, that's what you should never do...not if you want your snake to trust you. Sudden moves & force just means you're a predator to a snake & to most
    animals. If you need to help a snake with something, use gentle restraint, persistence, & never hurry- it's a give & take. Absolutely no creature likes to feel over-powered.

But we are all individuals too, so if you cannot manage it, then don't try. IMO, it's far more stressful for a snake when you wait for something to get worse so that a vet
    needs to intervene. It's also a lot more expensive.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-01-2019),Shoyle (04-01-2019),Toad37 (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've kept lots of "stressed" (rescued) snakes so let me explain a little more. It's not so much WHAT you do, but HOW you do it. I've found that when I stay calm & just
    focused on helping a snake (with whatever challenge), it's almost like they 'feel' it & know you aren't trying to hurt them.
    :
    I've actually experienced this. One of my bps is very head shy. He doesn't mind handling just doesn't like it when you get too close to his head. He had a retained eye cap (and a lot of stuck shed) on him when I got him from his previous owner. I soaked him a few days after having him to get the stuck shed off and that was the one and only time he was completely content with me getting near his face. I VERY gently used a wet wash cloth to remove his eye cap. It's almost as if he knew I was there to help him out.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-01-2019),Shoyle (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    I've actually experienced this. One of my bps is very head shy. He doesn't mind handling just doesn't like it when you get too close to his head. He had a retained eye cap (and a lot of stuck shed) on him when I got him from his previous owner. I soaked him a few days after having him to get the stuck shed off and that was the one and only time he was completely content with me getting near his face. I VERY gently used a wet wash cloth to remove his eye cap. It's almost as if he knew I was there to help him out.
    This is exactly what I mean...I've seen this many times & so have others. And I cannot recall ever getting bit for doing such things...I think many are nervous about
    helping because they expect to get bit, then they virtually radiate that nervousness instead of empathy, which is counter-productive. The focus must be on helping.
    I've tube-fed and medicated snakes, & done all sorts of things- I get a real sense that the snake knows I'm there to help, just like with yours, and it works. Snakes
    know a lot about our intentions by how we touch them, just as they do with each other.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (04-01-2019),Toad37 (04-01-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There are records of snakes having more than half a dozen retained eye caps stacked up without damage to the eye.

An herper who is experienced with retained eye caps would probably take that eye cap off now. If the herper is not very experienced or if the shed was over a week ago, then I say leave the eyecap alone until the next shed and then really try to do a good job keeping the humidity up. If the retained eye cap comes off with the rest of the shed, the problem is solved. If the eyecap doesn't come off, then I'd recommend soaking the snake and taking the eye cap off with a wet rag as soon after the shed as possible. Choose the answer that best describes the situation.

Good luck.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2019),Shoyle (04-01-2019),Toad37 (04-01-2019)