Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

2 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: PETA Calls For An Investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's not so much that I don't agree with you...I don't even believe you. If it chased you, it wasn't a coral snake. Few snakes act aggressively. I've seen a coachwhip
    come towards me (& have heard the same from others) but few snakes like to tangle with humans at all...at least in this country. BTW, coachwhips are harmless, &
    that one was being mobbed by birds until I chased off the birds...so he was in a panic when I got there & didn't realize I was helping him. I did not get bit...I walked
    away.
    Believe what you want. I have been chased by the coral and by a cottonmouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me preface this with I live in the south and I live in the country (obviously not born or raised here), I love the people here but….when you are in the south and talk to country people the amount of ignorance is pretty mind-blowing, mention a snake to a southern country person and they will tell you “a good snake is a dead snake”, it’s not just old people either, it’s such an issue in GA they have been pleading for people not to kill snakes having to explain to them because most of the time they actually kill good snakes that eats the bad ones, even simplify to that level they still think a good snake is a dead one.

I am sure the religious upbringing in combination with teaching your kids that you should fear certain animals does not help.

Should you fear some animals? Yes, should you kill them? I wouldn’t, you see a snake just walk away it’s that simple, if it’s in your barn or house, move away from the area call someone to relocate the animal.

Here sadly it’s cut it’s head off, or run over it with your car 10 times or decapitate it and ask questions later, and most of the time they kill non venomous snakes and those are usually the same people that will brag about it on social media thinking it’s makes them look like bad asses.
    Sad but true.

As for PETA investigating animal cruelty it's like the pot calling the kettle black.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-29-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-01-2019),Bogertophis (03-29-2019),MissterDog (03-29-2019),pretends2bnormal (03-29-2019),the_rotten1 (03-30-2019),Timelugia (03-30-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    The PETA article started this conversation, but I EXPECT better of members here...of people who understand & like snakes...c'mon folks, we have to lead &
    educate! If not us...who???

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    Believe what you want. I have been chased by the coral and by a cottonmouth...
    While I can't say I've experienced being chased by a cottonmouth, I've heard that from so many that I'll rate that as a "maybe so"?
    Either way, they come off as "cranky", but this discussion was about coral snakes, & I did say "few" snakes come off as aggressive.
    The thing is, when people are terrified of snakes, it doesn't take much to convince them they are being "chased". I'd love some
    actual statistics of how many were actually "caught" by those snakes, lol. Remember, you aren't glued to the ground...just walk away!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I like finding timber rattlers around here. Most locals freak out, scream and shoot it. I just go observe like a nature documentary, until the Rattlesnake gets abboyoed by my presence and leaves. (They always leave, if unprovoked)
    The people that attack and provoke them are more likely to get bit, than a casual peaceful observer.
    But we as snake keepers know that, and most do not.

https://www.morphmarket.com/stores/kaos-balls/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2019)

Thanks

The PETA article started this conversation, but I EXPECT better of members here...of people who understand & like snakes...c'mon folks, we have to lead &
    educate! If not us...who???

While I can't say I've experienced being chased by a cottonmouth, I've heard that from so many that I'll rate that as a "maybe so"?
    Either way, they come off as "cranky", but this discussion was about coral snakes, & I did say "few" snakes come off as aggressive.
    The thing is, when people are terrified of snakes, it doesn't take much to convince them they are being "chased". I'd love some
    actual statistics of how many were actually "caught" by those snakes, lol. Remember, you aren't glued to the ground...just walk away!
    Do you have any idea how fast a cottomouth can move? You don't "walk" away, thats for sure. I am not and have never been afraid of snakes. I am the first one advocating for leaving the rat snake alone to catch rats. I do have a healthy respect for venomous ones, however, and when a venomous snake is a threat to people something needs to be done. I know you would say they are never a treat to people, but I would beg to differ. Humans and venomous snakes occupying the same immediate area is a recipe for disaster.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    Do you have any idea how fast a cottomouth can move? ..... I know you would say they are never a treat to people, but I would
    beg to differ. Humans and venomous snakes occupying the same immediate area is a recipe for disaster.
    Yes, I do, & I think you mean "threat"? Then stay out of their area...didn't you ever learn to share? A planet covered with nothing but humans is not a pretty sight,
    nor is it viable. We need a balance of nature & the whole web of living creatures of all shapes & sizes, trust me. It's the mass production of humans that is making a
    mess of things...wildlife pretty much keeps itself in balance when humans don't muck it up & try to claim the entire territory as their own back yard. The native
    Americans figured that out, but look what "we" did to them...

When humans kill off certain species, it upsets the balance & then other things proliferate in a negative way. If you fancy living in a perfectly paved over 'safe' world,
    there are plenty of cities to choose from. But I think you'll soon find that some % of humans pose far more danger than a few venomous snakes...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-01-2019),Toad37 (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Yes, I do, & I think you mean "threat"? Then stay out of their area...didn't you ever learn to share? A planet covered with nothing but humans is not a pretty sight,
    nor is it viable. We need a balance of nature & the whole web of living creatures of all shapes & sizes, trust me. It's the mass production of humans that is making a
    mess of things...wildlife pretty much keeps itself in balance when humans don't muck it up & try to claim the entire territory as their own back yard. The native
    Americans figured that out, but look what "we" did to them...

When humans kill off certain species, it upsets the balance & then other things proliferate in a negative way. If you fancy living in a perfectly paved over 'safe' world,
    there are plenty of cities to choose from. But I think you'll soon find that some % of humans pose far more danger than a few venomous snakes...
    You do realize correcting other's typos and grammar is a little petty?
    So when a a rattlesnake chooses to nest in my yard(happened to us), I should just move, or not worry about whether my young children will get bitten? That is ridiculous.
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 04-01-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks

What's petty is you keep going on and on about a repressed childhood memory of an imaginary snake chasing you. We get it. Let's move on with our lives.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    What's petty is you keep going on and on about a repressed childhood memory of an imaginary snake chasing you. We get it. Let's move on with our lives.
    Not a repressed memory, I remember it just fine, always have. Nothing "imaginary" about it. Real snakes on both occasions i was chased and real snakes breeding in our front yard. One incident I was a young teen and the other a young adult so not really "childhood"' either.

I realize it makes you guys feel better to believe it didn't happen and that conflicts between humans and reptiles don't happen unless humans provoke or mistreat them, but that just isn't the case. Yes, leaving the area is the asnwer most of the time, but not always. Sometimes that simply isn't possible. We had a 4 year old at home when there was a den of rattlesnakes about 30 ft from our door. That was simply NOT a safe situation. I have had many encounters with reptiles over the course of my life, and I have only ever had to kill the one who wouldn't stop coming back to the den in the yard. It just wasn't safe for the children. Sorry, but I am not willing to risk the life of a child for a one stubborn snake. I am just saying that I can see how it might have been necessary in this situation, and it often is in others. I would be happy to move on if you guys could quit accusing me of lying.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks
    I know a guy in a GA reptile group (on FB) that actually clears sites of snakes and is a snake wrangler as his profession. I think he works sites in GA for the film industry, not sure about AL though. He told the group once that he is the first one in and the last one out and has to clear all venomous snakes and then relocate or put them back when they finish. So I do think it is standard practice in the industry to have such a person on site when working rural areas... In that regard, yes, the crew screwed up.

That said, I can totally relate to Reptilemom25's point. If I was in charge of the safety of a crew and had no idea what kind of snake I had just found, then I can see them killing it fearing for the crew's safety. Were there better ways to handle the situation? Yes, of course, but the reality is that didn't happen and someone had to go on their "best judgement". For a person that probably had zero knowledge of snakes and was likely from the city, that "best judgement" was not what most of us would have done but I don't think we should virtually crucify them for it.

I live in GA and was raised in a religious family here, so I don't think the irrational fear of snakes has anything to do with geography or religion. I believe it is more about what is learned directly from parents and close relatives when young. I would hazard that if you polled the same number of northern "city slickers" and southern "red necks" most would probably lean on the side of killing any snake they find. It is sad that this is our reality, but better education about wildlife will hopefully help the situation improve.

There have been many cases of untrained people trying to move venomous snakes and ending up getting bitten, so I'd say that if one hasn't had venomous handling training, it is better to leave the snake alone or call someone to move it. If you are in a really rural area without access to someone to help, then that becomes a very tough decision to make if the snake is, say, inside your house... I have luckily not been in that situaion myself, so I will not pass judgement on someone who has.

Lastly, to GA residents, I think the GA reptile society hosted venomous snake traning sessions earlier this year. I am not sure if they will be doing them again at some point, but it might be worth checking out if you are interested in learning how to safely relocate venomous. Other state's herp societies might also have similar training available.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast