Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

2 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    I don’t know a single person that doesn’t know the old saying. Red against black well who cares leave it alone and it won’t bite u!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-06-2019)

Thanks

Re: PETA Calls For An Investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Anyone with any respect for wildlife can manage to move a snake into a tall plastic trash-can with a snake hook, & take it far enough away to be sure of not seeing it again.

Remember that they were working in the snake's home, it wasn't invading theirs. Standard practice & common sense dictated they were obliged to have an experienced
    person on site for any wildlife encounters...it's attitudes like theirs (& yours) that will push our wildlife to extinction.
    I wouldn't have attempted to move a potentially deadly snake. Like it or not, it's the practical reality of life in a rural area. Sometimes its necessary to kill a snake for your own safety or the safety of someone else. These snakes aren't going extinct any time soon. They are thriving. We will just have to disagree on this.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    No it's like saying if you were trying to get pregnant, you should have a obgyn because it's the responsible thing to do. In their profession they know they might encounter venomous snakes because of where they're filming. It's the same as if you were planning to conceive a baby, it would be irresponsible not to have an ob Dr because you know what could happen. It's not apples to oranges here. It's the reality of being an adult and a responsible and respectful human being.
    No, it isn't reasonable to expect that they would need a snake handler where they were filming. Have you ever been there? I have and I know the area. This wasn't at all a likely occurrence. It isn't crawling with snakes, far from it. They really should have been fine. This was a chance encounter that no one would have reasonably foreseen. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I don’t know a single person that doesn’t know the old saying. Red against black well who cares leave it alone and it won’t bite u!!
    In the reptile community or thse who live in the area sure, but an LA film crew who have probably never even been in the woods? not likely
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks

No bubbles bursted here. My morals are perfectly intact inside their bubble.

[QUOTE=reptilemom25;2686599 I am not going to argue.[/QUOTE]

What happened here tho?

Thanks
    I was going to say, its my understanding that coral snakes are not highly aggressive. Bites from coral snake are rare and often require someone to step on them barefoot or attempt to handle them bare handed. Since 1967 there appear to be two cases of death from coral snake bites- one of which the man didn't seek treatment. (http://thevenominterviews.com/2016/0...-coral-snakes/)

So killing a snake because you can't ID it... let's face it attacking the animal is putting the people at a much larger risk then leaving it alone. Its a bad tradition built on fear, not one built on logic. We have that out here with people and rattlesnakes. Everyone seems to think killing a rattlesnake is a public service to protect others.
    All they end up doing is breaking the law and putting themselves at risk for a painful snake bite.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2019),Godzilla78 (03-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timelugia View Post
    I was going to say, its my understanding that coral snakes are not highly aggressive. Bites from coral snake are rare and often require someone to step on them barefoot or attempt to handle them bare handed. Since 1967 there appear to be two cases of death from coral snake bites- one of which the man didn't seek treatment. (http://thevenominterviews.com/2016/0...-coral-snakes/)

So killing a snake because you can't ID it... let's face it attacking the animal is putting the people at a much larger risk then leaving it alone. Its a bad tradition built on fear, not one built on logic. We have that out here with people and rattlesnakes. Everyone seems to think killing a rattlesnake is a public service to protect others.
    All they end up doing is breaking the law and putting themselves at risk for a painful snake bite.
    I have had some experience encountering coral snakes that runs contrary to this, a fair amount actually. One actually chased me once.

I can see your point about endangering oneself, but when you are dealing with an aggressive snake that is unlikely to back down and slither off, which has been my experience with corals in the area, it’s a different situation.

Look, it’s ok if you don’t agree with me, all I am saying is that I have actual experience in the area and I can see how it would be warranted based on what I know. It isn’t popular, but its my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Humans really do suck sometimes.
    I say that ALL the time. It's sad, but true.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    The exact saying words vary a bit, but the idea is: red touching yellow can kill a fellow, red touching black is a friend to Jack...

The trouble is that if you follow that rule, you're likely to be killing a harmless shovelnose or Western (or Texas) longnose snake, since coral snakes are adept at hiding,
    and even IF you find one, they are so small as to have a hard time getting a hold of you for envenomation to occur. Coral snakes are in the elapid family & have serious
    venom, but their fixed front fangs are weak & small, & non-retractable. You'd mostly need to try hard (pick up, or step on with bare feet) to get bit. Unlike a rattlesnake,
    their fangs cannot swing forward to envenomate a flat surface (like your leg) even with their mouth open wide- they must get their mouth around their prey to be effective.
    According to livescience.com, it's hard enough for them to get their teeth into human skin, much less leather boots. Some of them would rather hide their head & produce
    microfarts to scare off predators...boy, that takes a real macho person to kill one, doesn't it? How pathetic...

https://www.livescience.com/43938-co...rts-facts.html

Could everyone just learn to walk away & stop killing our wildlife please??? If you're that freaking afraid, you belong living in a freaking city.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (03-29-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    I have had some experience encountering coral snakes that runs contrary to this, a fair amount actually. One actually chased me once.

I can see your point about endangering oneself, but when you are dealing with an aggressive snake that is unlikely to back down and slither off, which has been my experience with corals in the area, it’s a different situation.

Look, it’s ok if you don’t agree with me, all I am saying is that I have actual experience in the area and I can see how it would be warranted based on what I know. It isn’t popular, but its my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not so much that I don't agree with you...I don't even believe you. If it chased you, it wasn't a coral snake. Few snakes act aggressively. I've seen a coachwhip
    come towards me (& have heard the same from others) but few snakes like to tangle with humans at all...at least in this country. BTW, coachwhips are harmless, &
    that one was being mobbed by birds until I chased off the birds...so he was in a panic when I got there & didn't realize I was helping him. I did not get bit...I walked
    away.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (03-29-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast