Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,542

0 members and 2,542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

PETA Calls For An Investigation

so there's a movie filming in AL and the crew decapitated and killed a snake while clearing the brush. the snake was just minding it's own business and i don't agree w/ how they handled the situation. another member of the crew or someone blew the whistle and now PETA is investigating.

story here: https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...n-alabama.html
    PETA calls for probe after snake killed during filming of Netflix movie in Alabama

The supposed decapitation of a snake during the filming of a movie at Oak Mountain State Park has drawn the ire of PETA, which is calling for investigations by police and conservation enforcers.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has sent letters to the Pelham Police Department and the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources requesting they look into the matter.

According to PETA, they received a report last week that the reptilian slaying happened when crew members of Netflix’s “The Devil All the Time” encountered a snake with red markings – possibly a species of the nonvenomous king snake – while moving rocks in order to prepare a path for foot traffic. “After reporting the presence of the snake to the assistant director Brian Bettwy, the snake was decapitated,’’ according to a letter written by PETA lawyer David Schwartz.

A “whistleblower” tipped off PETA, the organization said. “According to the report, the snake was not posing a threat to, or otherwise manifesting signs of preparing to strike, any member of the film crew during and after the snake’s discovery,’’ Schwartz wrote.

He went on to say no snake handler was present on the set, which is a common practice in the industry when filming in areas where snakes might be encountered. Also, he said, no attempt was made by anyone with the production company to contact a park ranger, state wildlife officer or any other person with authority to handle wildlife before the snake was decapitated.

PETA claims the decapitation of the snake violates regulations pertaining to state parks, which designate each state park as a game and wildlife sanctuary and make it “unlawful for any person to…kill…any wild animal” in any state park.

The American Veterinary Medical Association, according to PETA, does not consider decapitation without the use of an anesthetic prior to decapitation, and without the immediate destruction of the brain after decapitation. Snake “have a slow metabolism and high tolerance to hypoxia. As a result, the brain and other parts of the nervous system can continue to function – and thus the animal remains sensible to pain – for up to one hour after decapitation unless the brain is immediately destroyed. Such a procedure requires expertise and dexterity which cannot be acquired or adequately carried out by laypersons.”
    and here: https://patch.com/alabama/pelham-al/...-netflix-movie
    PETA Wants Probe In Killing Of Snake On Set Of Netflix Movie

PETA is demanding a probe into the reported killing of a snake during the filming of a Netflix movie in Alabama.

PELHAM, AL - The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants an investigation into the reported killing of a snake during the filming of a Netflix movie in Pelham. A whistleblower has reported to PETA that a snake was deliberately killed on the set of the movie The Devil All the Time, which is currently being filmed in Oak Mountain State Park.

PETA sent a letter calling on the Pelham Police Department to investigate the incident to see whether Alabama's Cruelty to Animals Law was violated. PETA has also notified Alabama's Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, as the snake was reportedly killed within a state park.

According to the whistleblower—who contacted PETA's Animals in Film and Television Division whistleblower hotline—there was no snake wrangler on location and the animal posed no threat to the cast or crew before being decapitated. "Decapitation is an extremely cruel method of killing snakes because due to their unique physiology, a snake can remain sensible to pain for up to one hour after their head is severed from the body," PETA said in a release.

Earlier this week, PETA sent a letter to the film's director, Antonio Campos, asking for more information about the incident, but the group has received no answer, according to a PETA statement.

"We were told that this snake was simply in his or her natural habitat—under a rock, doing what snakes do—when someone reportedly came along, moved the rock, and killed the wild animal just for being there," said PETA Senior Vice President Lisa Lange. "PETA is asking anyone with more information about this incident to contact our whistleblower hotline."
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2019),richardhind1972 (03-29-2019),Sonny1318 (03-29-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: PETA Calls For An Investigation

Humans really do suck sometimes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2019),fadingdaylight (03-29-2019),FollowTheSun (03-29-2019),Sonny1318 (03-29-2019),the_rotten1 (03-30-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Happens WAY too often... ......glad it was reported though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-29-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    Flame suit on, because some aren't going to like this, but its the reality of the situation. I live in Alabama. This happened in a very rural area where care for a snake bite would have been minimal at best. We have coral stakes here and king snakes that mimic them. Honestly, If I didn't know which one I had on my hands I would probably have killed it as well (I am capable of telling the difference but someone not from here may not be), given that they have a large amount of people who don't know the area or the wildlife tromping through the woods. It was just too dangerous to leave it and hope it went away if it was venomous. Based on my experience with them, they don't scare easily. It would still have been in the area and its likely someone would have gotten bitten. In this case, the people take precedence.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    Flame suit on, because some aren't going to like this, but its the reality of the situation. I live in Alabama. This happened in a very rural area where care for a snake bite would have been minimal at best. We have coral stakes here and king snakes that mimic them. Honestly, If I didn't know which one I had on my hands I would probably have killed it as well (I am capable of telling the difference but someone not from here may not be), given that they have a large amount of people who don't know the area or the wildlife tromping through the woods. It was just too dangerous to leave it and hope it went away if it was venomous. Based on my experience with them, they don't scare easily. It would still have been in the area and its likely someone would have gotten bitten. In this case, the people take precedence.
    So while walking downtown u see a person and u can't tell if they're a serial killer or just a regular average Joe, but to keep urself safe u kill them anyway?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-01-2019),Alter-Echo (03-29-2019),Bogertophis (03-29-2019),Timelugia (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    So while walking downtown u see a person and u can't tell if they're a serial killer or just a regular average Joe, but to keep urself safe u kill them anyway?
    A ridiculous comparison and you know that. Would be ok if your boss chose allow a known venomous snake to remain loose in your worksite, and hope it didn't bite someone? That's basically what this situation was. The staff had a responsibility for the safety of their employees.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

A ridiculous comparison and you know that. Would be ok if your boss chose allow a known venomous snake to remain loose in your worksite, and hope it didn't bite someone? That's basically what this situation was. The staff had a responsibility for the safety of their employees.
    From the sound of it, their true responsibility to their workers and crew was to have a snake handler (which is stated as standard in the industry) at the worksite to deal with relocating it far enough away to not pose a risk to the crew & make a positive ID if it were venomous and if further action may have been needed at that point. It was not their responsibility for someone not there or trained for the purpose to kill it before anyone even took the time to seek out the appropriate ID & legal guidance for a snake that was stated as not acting defensive and not striking at the time of its death.

In most places, killing a wild snake like this is illegal regardless of if it is venomous.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 03-29-2019 at 02:49 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    From the sound of it, their true responsibility to their workers and crew was to have a snake handler (which is stated as standard in the industry) at the worksite to deal with relocating it far enough away to not pose a risk to the crew & make a positive ID if it were venomous and if further action may have been needed at that point. It was not their responsibility for someone not there or trained for the purpose to kill it before anyone even took the time to seek out the appropriate ID & legal guidance for a snake that was stated as not acting defensive and not striking at the time of its death.

In most places, killing a wild snake like this is illegal regardless of if it is venomous.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Actually, it isn't illegal in this state. They are considered nuisance animals. I am not going to argue. I have said what i think, based on what I know about the area, and the situation. Given the remote location, limited access to medical care, ect I would have done the same. It was really the only option they had to ensure the safety of the crew. It is ridiculous to expect they would employ a snake handler on the off chance the MIGHT see a snake and need it removed. That's like saying I should have my doctor on hand every second just in case i have a heart attack.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Thanks

Actually, it isn't illegal in this state. They are considered nuisance animals. I am not going to argue. I have said what i think, based on what I know about the area, and the situation. Given the remote location, limited access to medical care, ect I would have done the same. It was really the only option they had to ensure the safety of the crew. It is ridiculous to expect they would employ a snake handler on the off chance the MIGHT see a snake and need it removed. That's like saying I should have my doctor on hand every second just in case i have a heart attack.
    No it's like saying if you were trying to get pregnant, you should have a obgyn because it's the responsible thing to do. In their profession they know they might encounter venomous snakes because of where they're filming. It's the same as if you were planning to conceive a baby, it would be irresponsible not to have an ob Dr because you know what could happen. It's not apples to oranges here. It's the reality of being an adult and a responsible and respectful human being.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Anyone with any respect for wildlife can manage to move a snake into a tall plastic trash-can with a snake hook, & take it far enough away to be sure of not seeing it again.

Remember that they were working in the snake's home, it wasn't invading theirs. Standard practice & common sense dictated they were obliged to have an experienced
    person on site for any wildlife encounters...it's attitudes like theirs (& yours) that will push our wildlife to extinction.

Whether it's for people or animals, I'm not a fan of "stand your ground" laws, because in reality, they're nothing but a "free pass" to kill others.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-29-2019 at 03:23 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-29-2019),pretends2bnormal (03-29-2019),Toad37 (03-29-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast