Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,456

2 members and 1,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Setting up a tub/UTH questions

Sound like a solid plan.

As for ideas for climbing, if you want stuff to climb on/around, you might find some small cork bark pieces you can put in any open space. Flatter ones can be climbed on or around. They can be baked or cleaned/sanitized with a bleach soak then water soak as needed, but may be best not to add until you are sure you're mite-free.

Or you can get some PVC pipe, some elbows or tees and end caps and build your own short climbing structure. PVC is pretty easy to sanitize with bleach or other disinfectants for QT.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-29-2019)

Thanks

I use a zoo med UTH on a tub. Where to even start...

first of all you'll need to tape the heat mat to the tub b/c it won't stick. Second, I'm not sure how you will be able to get even temps if you are sandwiching a probe between the UTH and the tub (in fact, you won't get even temps). Even if the UTH is completely flat against the bottom of the tub, you will still experience hot spots with the Zoo Med UTH.

My advice. Get a thermostat, set it up and run it for 48 hours. Then check temps across the entire surface area of the UTH the second the Thermostat kicks off (some spots will be hotter than others). Also, make sure there is no heat lamp or CHE on when you do this b/c it could throw temps off.

I know people have their own methods, but I put the probe INSIDE the tub, but never in the actual hide (so the snake can't lay on it). I tape it directly to the bottom of the tub, and ensure that the setting on the thermostat prevents hot spots. Then I cover it with a rock or decoration so the CHE doesn't impact it as much.

Even if you think the temps are spot on...check with the temp gun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Sound like a solid plan.

As for ideas for climbing, if you want stuff to climb on/around, you might find some small cork bark pieces you can put in any open space. Flatter ones can be climbed on or around. They can be baked or cleaned/sanitized with a bleach soak then water soak as needed, but may be best not to add until you are sure you're mite-free.

Or you can get some PVC pipe, some elbows or tees and end caps and build your own short climbing structure. PVC is pretty easy to sanitize with bleach or other disinfectants for QT.

Good idea I forgot about little PVC jungle gyms. I may actually do that once I switch to a bigger cage, for now since its QT I'll probably keep it more simple

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post

first of all you'll need to tape the heat mat to the tub b/c it won't stick. Second, I'm not sure how you will be able to get even temps if you are sandwiching a probe between the UTH and the tub (in fact, you won't get even temps). Even if the UTH is completely flat against the bottom of the tub, you will still experience hot spots with the Zoo Med UTH.

My advice. Get a thermostat, set it up and run it for 48 hours. Then check temps across the entire surface area of the UTH the second the Thermostat kicks off (some spots will be hotter than others). Also, make sure there is no heat lamp or CHE on when you do this b/c it could throw temps off.

I know people have their own methods, but I put the probe INSIDE the tub, but never in the actual hide (so the snake can't lay on it). I tape it directly to the bottom of the tub, and ensure that the setting on the thermostat prevents hot spots. Then I cover it with a rock or decoration so the CHE doesn't impact it as much.

Thanks for the feedback

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post

No tape inside the enclosure for any reason, ever. Setting decor on top means nothing as most snakes can move around things far heavier than you might expect.

If you're going to put it inside the tub or tank despite the risks of temperature spikes from a tipped water bowl or a large pee (especially a risk when using paper towels in a quarantine setup), at least secure it with something safer like hot glue or silicone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Might help to give info on the species. Sounds like it is not a BP from your post, but I'm not sure what it is.

I like the ultratherm heat mats (Reptile Basics sells them) or you could get heat tape that they wire for you from them as well which is just as easy to use as a heat mat. In my experience, the zoomed heat mats heat fairly unevenly. Not unusable, but annoying to find and test the hot spots of the mat to keep it all in a safe range.

If the species is small or good at escaping, I prefer these gasket tubs. Plenty of size for juvies of most species through a QT period and extremely secure. I'm sure you have a tub already since you state the size, but a consideration if it is a pretty small snake if the lid isn't extremely secure. I've had poor luck with adding binder clips or luggage straps to secure long sides of tubs with small snakes. There are various sizes in this style, but this is a good size for most things. https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...XDtUAaQWJgS6Bf

When working with tubs, I like to tape the UTH to the table (My QT table is just a particle board surface on a table we built at one point), then tape the thermostat probe to that on the cord right before the probe tip, then just set the tub over it. This lets me fully remove the tub for thorough washing without worry about probes or electrical.

It does end up with a slight air gap above the UTH below the tub, but that air gap is supposed to be good for UTH anyway, it gives space for the probe when you use tubs that have the feet like the gasket sterilite tubs I linked, and it doesn't need to be set much higher on the thermostat than when it is pressed against the bottom of a tub. 1-2 degrees is what I see for mine, though it may need more if there is a draft or A/C vent blowing along where the tub is placed. It also eliminates the odd bump that you usually get by sandwiching a probe and taping the heat mat to the enclosure itself.

@pretends2bnormal I actually went out and bought that tub today, it's perfect. One thing I don't understand though, it has legs about half an inch or so. How will the UTH actually provide any heat without it taped to the bottom? Would be a pretty decent sized gap

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    @pretends2bnormal I actually went out and bought that tub today, it's perfect. One thing I don't understand though, it has legs about half an inch or so. How will the UTH actually provide any heat without it taped to the bottom? Would be a pretty decent sized gap

The uth sticks to the bottom with the probe of the thermostat sandwiched between them, I had to reread the post too, it says to leave a gap between the insulation and the heater. 90* won’t hurt the tub

edit ok it does say leave a gap but I never have
    Last edited by Danger noodles; 03-30-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    The uth sticks to the bottom with the probe of the thermostat sandwiched between them, I had to reread the post too, it says to leave a gap between the insulation and the heater. 90* won’t hurt the tub

edit ok it does say leave a gap but I never have
    Thanks Danger, but I think you misunderstood. Pretends and Ax are talking about taping the heat mat to a surface, not to the tub, and placing the tub on top of it with the probe sandwiched in between. This makes incredible sense for cleaning purposes, and I have done it in the past when I had a qt rack for a couple new bps that i had gotten. However, the tub recommended has short legs, while the tubs i had used in that previous application were flat on the bottom. Hence I am asking Pretends for clarification on how that has worked out in his experience with these specific tubs.

I do appreciate the response though

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Thanks Danger, but I think you misunderstood. Pretends and Ax are talking about taping the heat mat to a surface, not to the tub, and placing the tub on top of it with the probe sandwiched in between. This makes incredible sense for cleaning purposes, and I have done it in the past when I had a qt rack for a couple new bps that i had gotten. However, the tub recommended has short legs, while the tubs i had used in that previous application were flat on the bottom. Hence I am asking Pretends for clarification on how that has worked out in his experience with these specific tubs.

I do appreciate the response though

It would make more sense if I didn’t know what I was talking about lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I use the Sterlite gasket tubs with the 11x11 Ultratherm heat mats. My probe is taped to the wood base, the uth taped in place over the probe, and the tub sits on top. Depending on where in the stack it is, my thermostats are set from 90-92F to get a hot spot of 88-90F. I haven't had any issues with the tub temps from the small gap.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-30-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast