Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,780

4 members and 2,776 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Setting up a tub/UTH questions

Hi guys, I have a new acquisition on the way. Should be here in around the month. Not gonna tell anyone right now, gonna have to be a surprise when I get it.

I'm setting up a 28qt tub for the new animal, for quarantine time+. Should probably last around 3-6 months before it needs to be moved to a larger enclosure, just want to keep the animal feeling secure until it gets a bit older.

I have experience setting up quarantine tubs for BP's, in this case it is for an animal that will be a bit more active and I wanted to ask some opinions for the setup.

I'm going to use just a UTH on the bottom of the tub (thermostat probe sandwiched between) and a space heater in the qt area to bring up ambients.

My main question is, what is your preferred brand of uth for a tub setup? I usually would go with the zoo-med ones but just curious what people trust to be the best at that smaller size. I don't want to wire my own heat tape.

Also, if anyone has some good hacks or cool ideas for setting up a tub please feel free to share here.

Thanks guys, can't wait to share when I get the new addition!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Setting up a tub/UTH questions

Might help to give info on the species. Sounds like it is not a BP from your post, but I'm not sure what it is.

I like the ultratherm heat mats (Reptile Basics sells them) or you could get heat tape that they wire for you from them as well which is just as easy to use as a heat mat. In my experience, the zoomed heat mats heat fairly unevenly. Not unusable, but annoying to find and test the hot spots of the mat to keep it all in a safe range.

If the species is small or good at escaping, I prefer these gasket tubs. Plenty of size for juvies of most species through a QT period and extremely secure. I'm sure you have a tub already since you state the size, but a consideration if it is a pretty small snake if the lid isn't extremely secure. I've had poor luck with adding binder clips or luggage straps to secure long sides of tubs with small snakes. There are various sizes in this style, but this is a good size for most things. https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...XDtUAaQWJgS6Bf

When working with tubs, I like to tape the UTH to the table (My QT table is just a particle board surface on a table we built at one point), then tape the thermostat probe to that on the cord right before the probe tip, then just set the tub over it. This lets me fully remove the tub for thorough washing without worry about probes or electrical.

It does end up with a slight air gap above the UTH below the tub, but that air gap is supposed to be good for UTH anyway, it gives space for the probe when you use tubs that have the feet like the gasket sterilite tubs I linked, and it doesn't need to be set much higher on the thermostat than when it is pressed against the bottom of a tub. 1-2 degrees is what I see for mine, though it may need more if there is a draft or A/C vent blowing along where the tub is placed. It also eliminates the odd bump that you usually get by sandwiching a probe and taping the heat mat to the enclosure itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-29-2019),Dianne (03-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Might help to give info on the species. Sounds like it is not a BP from your post, but I'm not sure what it is.

I like the ultratherm heat mats (Reptile Basics sells them) or you could get heat tape that they wire for you from them as well which is just as easy to use as a heat mat. In my experience, the zoomed heat mats heat fairly unevenly. Not unusable, but annoying to find and test the hot spots of the mat to keep it all in a safe range.

If the species is small or good at escaping, I prefer these gasket tubs. Plenty of size for juvies of most species through a QT period and extremely secure. I'm sure you have a tub already since you state the size, but a consideration if it is a pretty small snake if the lid isn't extremely secure. I've had poor luck with adding binder clips or luggage straps to secure long sides of tubs with small snakes. There are various sizes in this style, but this is a good size for most things. https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...XDtUAaQWJgS6Bf

When working with tubs, I like to tape the UTH to the table (My QT table is just a particle board surface on a table we built at one point), then tape the thermostat probe to that on the cord right before the probe tip, then just set the tub over it. This lets me fully remove the tub for thorough washing without worry about probes or electrical.

It does end up with a slight air gap above the UTH below the tub, but that air gap is supposed to be good for UTH anyway, it gives space for the probe when you use tubs that have the feet like the gasket sterilite tubs I linked, and it doesn't need to be set much higher on the thermostat than when it is pressed against the bottom of a tub. 1-2 degrees is what I see for mine, though it may need more if there is a draft or A/C vent blowing along where the tub is placed. It also eliminates the odd bump that you usually get by sandwiching a probe and taping the heat mat to the enclosure itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Great response, was actually thinking ultratherm that's probably where I'll go. I have one of the Ziploc gasket tubs on order already lol. Thanks!

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    I like the flukers small heat pads for small tub too. they are 6 inches wide.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks

Any good ideas on something that can give a climbing opportunity with just 7" of height?

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

wait! a 28quart tub can't house a Newfie!

i still have my original ZooMeds UTH on my original enclosures - 2 glass tanks. they've worked fine in my experience. Ultraterms are better tho. the only thing i don't like about them really is how their connectors are connected to the heating element.

^ see that plastic thingy. it creates a lump.

i also agree w/ not taping them to the tub but to a separate surface. it makes it sooo much better to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Any good ideas on something that can give a climbing opportunity with just 7" of height?
    not much. the top of a hide?

Edit: or better yet, a sky hide!
    Last edited by Ax01; 03-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    wait! a 28quart tub can't house a Newfie!

i still have my original ZooMeds UTH on my original enclosures - 2 glass tanks. they've worked fine in my experience. Ultraterms are better tho. the only thing i don't like about them really is how their connectors are connected to the heating element.

^ see that plastic thingy. it creates a lump.

i also agree w/ not taping them to the tub but to a separate surface. it makes it sooo much better to clean.

not much. the top of a hide?

Edit: or better yet, a sky hide!
    Lol I am gonna be ordering a sky hide with this RBI order to go into the Vision that this new animal will end up in after this tub.

Hahaha good memory with the Newfie

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

Gonna pick up a melamine board at home depot, use an 11"x11" ultratherm and tape it to the board, tape probe to Ultratherm, use 2 medium RBI hide boxes (one on each side) and a water bowl, and I think that about cuts it. Does that sound about right for a qt setup?

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Gonna pick up a melamine board at home depot, use an 11"x11" ultratherm and tape it to the board, tape probe to Ultratherm, use 2 medium RBI hide boxes (one on each side) and a water bowl, and I think that about cuts it. Does that sound about right for a qt setup?
    i also like to use paper substrate for QT rigs for monitoring mites/bugs and wierd poops and stuff. sounds like your buying from a good breeder but i always prep or be ready w/ supplies and stuff for nasty bugs. lastly have appropriate food sizes.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i also like to use paper substrate for QT rigs for monitoring mites/bugs and wierd poops and stuff. sounds like your buying from a good breeder but i always prep or be ready w/ supplies and stuff for nasty bugs. lastly have appropriate food sizes.
    Done, done, and done

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python