Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,721

0 members and 2,721 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

At what age do a Female Retic's reproductive abilities begin reducing?

I'm considering investing in a few adult females to breed, how old is too old?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: At what age do a Female Retic's reproductive abilities begin reducing?

Quote Originally Posted by DerrickRyan View Post
    Truly depends on the animal and its health. They are not machines to put out but animals that don't just perform when you want them to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (03-31-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DerrickRyan View Post
    I'm not sure if there IS a definitive answer to this. As all animals, each one may be unique and what is true for one may not be true for another.
    I would think a lot of factors would play a role - the health of the animal, if it was 'powerfed' early on, how many clutches has it already had/how often. those types of things.
    These are long lived animals, I have a 20 yr old boa that is currently gravid.
    I would say if under 15, I wouldn't see any issue. Older than that I'd say it probably depends on the animal and care it's had.
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    So correct me if I'm wrong but you've asked a few questions in here about prey items for the large constrictors, sex ratios for breeding large constrictors, and reproductive age groups for large constrictors, all in the hopes of investing in a few adult animals to breed in a spare room...

A few things

If you've never worked with the big guys before, I think the worst possible idea is to purchase fully grown adult animals in the hopes of also breeding them. Take a look at jmcrook for an owner who went above and beyond, was committed to his animals 100% and couldn't outspend or commit enough to have a good keeper-animal relationship and enjoy the hobby. Retics and burms are large animals, demand respect, and aren't just a fun thing to splurge on and learn as you go. You can end up with animals that are hormonal machine guns with males, pushing, cage defensive, etc etc etc.

Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the current landscape of the reptile hobby, but I don't know that we need anyone else breeding more purple tigers. Burms and retics are over produced IMO, considering the caging, food, time and energy requirements these big guys require. I don't really think there is an ass for ever seat capable of taking care of these mainland retics pumped out every year.

There is a bunch of people in here recently who seem to go on purchasing sprees like it's so cool and they have all these breeding plans and they haven't even dealt with one of these snakes as an adult before signing up to take care of 5 of them. These aren't ball pythons you can throw in a rack. They grow before your eyes, and these people are signing up for massive cage bills in no time at all.

With all that being said, if you love retics, go for it. But I'd say talk to breeders and those who work with them vs just asking questions online. And then purchase a hatchling retic. Learn as you go, and you'll end up comfortable and knowing your animal, realize the requirements and respect the big boys demand.

I think it's a downright awful idea to just purchase adult animals, and even worse yet to just purchase them for breeding as a project.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 350z For This Useful Post:

67temp (03-31-2019),AbsoluteApril (04-01-2019),CloudtheBoa (03-31-2019),Dianne (03-31-2019),distaff (03-31-2019),GoatBoy (03-31-2019),jmcrook (03-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 350z View Post
    So correct me if I'm wrong but you've asked a few questions in here about prey items for the large constrictors, sex ratios for breeding large constrictors, and reproductive age groups for large constrictors, all in the hopes of investing in a few adult animals to breed in a spare room...

A few things

If you've never worked with the big guys before, I think the worst possible idea is to purchase fully grown adult animals in the hopes of also breeding them. Take a look at jmcrook for an owner who went above and beyond, was committed to his animals 100% and couldn't outspend or commit enough to have a good keeper-animal relationship and enjoy the hobby. Retics and burms are large animals, demand respect, and aren't just a fun thing to splurge on and learn as you go. You can end up with animals that are hormonal machine guns with males, pushing, cage defensive, etc etc etc.

Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the current landscape of the reptile hobby, but I don't know that we need anyone else breeding more purple tigers. Burms and retics are over produced IMO, considering the caging, food, time and energy requirements these big guys require. I don't really think there is an ass for ever seat capable of taking care of these mainland retics pumped out every year.

There is a bunch of people in here recently who seem to go on purchasing sprees like it's so cool and they have all these breeding plans and they haven't even dealt with one of these snakes as an adult before signing up to take care of 5 of them. These aren't ball pythons you can throw in a rack. They grow before your eyes, and these people are signing up for massive cage bills in no time at all.

With all that being said, if you love retics, go for it. But I'd say talk to breeders and those who work with them vs just asking questions online. And then purchase a hatchling retic. Learn as you go, and you'll end up comfortable and knowing your animal, realize the requirements and respect the big boys demand.

I think it's a downright awful idea to just purchase adult animals, and even worse yet to just purchase them for breeding as a project.
    !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I was watching a breeder video recently, and what the guy said made sense: Customers tend reluctant to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on an animal offered for sale by someone they have never heard of before. It takes time to make a name for yourself.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wish I had proof read more carefully before the "Edit" timed out.

The OP used the term "invest." If the object is financial return, I can think of much better potential investments. Retics are expensive to keep animals in a small niche market. If the offspring don't sell, consider your options for an off ramp.
    Last edited by distaff; 03-31-2019 at 12:24 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (03-31-2019)