Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,794

2 members and 2,792 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Mouse question

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Mouse question

To preface, not feeder mice, just pets lol.
    I've been thinking a bit recently about getting into mice & possibly breeding them in the future, nothing's definite yet but it's a hobby that's really interesting to me. Thing is, my home is heated primarily by a wood stove which makes the air quality not great during the cooler months, I have pet rats as well & I think the air here has definitely affected their respiratory systems, so I'm not sure if mice would even be an option. But I was thinking & I was wondering if keeping them in a tank as opposed to a cage would make a difference at all? Or an air purifier perhaps?
    Like I said, I'm not sure if I'll end up getting some if at all possible, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to find out if I could

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Mouse question

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    I've been thinking a bit recently about getting into mice & possibly breeding them in the future, nothing's definite yet but it's a hobby that's really interesting to me. Thing is, my home is heated primarily by a wood stove which makes the air quality not great during the cooler months, I have pet rats as well & I think the air here has definitely affected their respiratory systems, so I'm not sure if mice would even be an option. But I was thinking & I was wondering if keeping them in a tank as opposed to a cage would make a difference at all? Or an air purifier perhaps?
    Like I said, I'm not sure if I'll end up getting some if at all possible, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to find out if I could

They actually need more ventilation than being in an aquarium. My female got pregnant and had a lot of babies but I made sure she didn't get pregnant after that cuz I kept almost all of them.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post

I have had several houses where I used a wood stove HEAVILY for heat in the winter, with no "air quality" issues at all. I'm worried about YOU, if you're breathing smoke, there's something wrong, IMO.

I don't think using a tank will make any difference...same air. Also, tanks are nasty to clean & empty, trust me, it WILL "get old". (I had pet rodents in glass tanks long before I ever got into keeping snakes & thinking about rodents as "food".) Also, if you're planning to breed mice in your house, they may leave lasting odors (male mice have stronger scent to attract the females) that you may regret, especially if you rent the place & don't own. Of course it also depends on how many you plan to have around.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-28-2019 at 09:32 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-28-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have had several houses where I used a wood stove HEAVILY for heat in the winter, with no "air quality" issues at all. I'm worried about YOU, if you're breathing smoke, there's something wrong, IMO.

I don't think using a tank will make any difference...same air. Also, tanks are nasty to clean & empty, trust me, it WILL "get old". (I had pet rodents in glass tanks long before I ever got into keeping snakes & thinking about rodents as "food".) Also, if you're planning to breed mice in your house, they may leave lasting odors (male mice have stronger scent to attract the females) that you may regret, especially if you rent the place & don't own. Of course it also depends on how many you plan to have around.
    Sorry, I should have clarified, the house isn't smoky or particularly harmful (the rats' respiratory issues were last year before we had the stove quite figured out & it was honestly a little smoky, but they do have some permanent damage that I feel awful about), but I do believe the air quality is still a bit worse than it would be in a more conventionally heated place and I'm not sure how sensitive mice respiratory systems are.
    That makes sense about the tanks, at the time of posting I was thinking it might be different because there is less ventilation in a tank but now that seems a bit silly. Thanks so much for the advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

We have one male pet mouse that we keep in a 10 gallon. He was supposed to be snake food for a fussy eater but she wouldn't go for him. Now he's living the good life lol. One mouse in one cage is manageable, but I definitely wouldn't want to have a bunch in tanks.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-28-2019),Ditto (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Tanks have plenty of air circulation for mice, because even though they are so much taller than the mice, rodents have a high rate of metabolism & generate
    quite a lot of body heat...heat rises, & when it does, outside air flows in thru the screen top & down to where they are. But quality (heavy duty) lab cages are
    SO much better, because the food (primarily lab blocks) stays clean in the hopper overhead (they eat thru the bars), and the water bottle is up & out of their
    way too. With a tank, you'll have to install a water bottle inside using an adjustable holder (metal ones are by FAR the best), but they can still chew on (destroy)
    the water bottle, and they WILL climb up the outside of it, & leave pee to mark all over it. It gets pretty gross, trust me. Add to that the weight of the glass tank
    that's very awkward to tip over to empty out (or slow, if done by hand) & you'll regret raising mice in a tank. Now if you want them as pets, you might set up a
    temporary playground in a tank to watch them using wheels & all that, but that's your call.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-28-2019),Lord Sorril (03-29-2019)