Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,545

4 members and 1,541 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Snek Momma

Thanks

Re: New Snek Momma

i use these, one to control her hotspot and one to control the lamp for ambient air temperature -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they have temperature probes that read pretty exact temps. one is attached to the side of her tank (but not touching the glass) and the other one is buried in the substrate under her hot spot.

she does have 2 hides, one on her cool side and one in her hotspot.

she hasnt been wandering lately though, i think she may have just been hungrys, she hasnt been doing much sense she ate. but will try swapping out her log hide for the plastic one thats covered on 3 sides.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neiska View Post
    i use these, one to control her hotspot and one to control the lamp for ambient air temperature -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they have temperature probes that read pretty exact temps. one is attached to the side of her tank (but not touching the glass) and the other one is buried in the substrate under her hot spot.

she does have 2 hides, one on her cool side and one in her hotspot.

she hasnt been wandering lately though, i think she may have just been hungrys, she hasnt been doing much sense she ate. but will try swapping out her log hide for the plastic one thats covered on 3 sides.
    Just an FYI that proper probe placement for a UTH is to be sandwiched between the bottom of the enclosure and the UTH. So it would go UTH -> thermostat probe -> glass. You don't want the probe under the substrate inside the cage because a lot of things can affect the accuracy, ie snake moving the probe, peeing on it, etc.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Not to question that, but that's directly opposite of what was already directed to me before. They said that keeping the sensor under the glass wouldn't be an accurate reading, as it wouldn't be the actual temperature of what the snake is experiencing.

Currently its UTH - Glass - Sensor - Substrate,

and you are saying to make it UTH - Sensor - Glass - Substrate, so its actually outside of the tank, but on the underside?

I mean, if that's whats supposed to be i can certainly move it, its just the opposite of what I have already been told.

Thanks,

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neiska View Post
    Not to question that, but that's directly opposite of what was already directed to me before. They said that keeping the sensor under the glass wouldn't be an accurate reading, as it wouldn't be the actual temperature of what the snake is experiencing.

Currently its UTH - Glass - Sensor - Substrate,

and you are saying to make it UTH - Sensor - Glass - Substrate, so its actually outside of the tank, but on the underside?

I mean, if that's whats supposed to be i can certainly move it, its just the opposite of what I have already been told.

Thanks,
    Yes you want the thermostat prob outside of the enclosure.. You may have to bump it up a couple of degrees to get it to the correct temp inside the enclosure... Lets say the snake dragged the probe away from the heat source somehow.. that is going to crank up the heat and potentially burn her..
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarshall View Post
    Yes you want the thermostat prob outside of the enclosure.. You may have to bump it up a couple of degrees to get it to the correct temp inside the enclosure... Lets say the snake dragged the probe away from the heat source somehow.. that is going to crank up the heat and potentially burn her..
    Theoretically couldn’t you secure it under the substrate with duck tape or something? Depending on the species and setup I don’t see it being a huge issue. Sometimes placing the probe between the uth and the bottom of the enclosure is difficult. If you’re on a flat surface and the probe is round it doesn’t work very well. To fix this you need “legs” on the corners of your enclosure. I definitely agree to set it up properly if you can although I think there are ways around it if you need. If you securely fasten it to the bottom and layer substrate correctly I don’t see a major issue. The main thing would be inaccurate readings due to the substrate but you could always make a “capsule” to secure to the bottom. Anywho.... I’m just saying if you’re careful and inventive I think there are ways to safely control a uth with the probe on the inside. For the most accurate reading though place it under the enclosure if you can. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Theoretically couldn’t you secure it under the substrate with duck tape or something? Depending on the species and setup I don’t see it being a huge issue. Sometimes placing the probe between the uth and the bottom of the enclosure is difficult. If you’re on a flat surface and the probe is round it doesn’t work very well. To fix this you need “legs” on the corners of your enclosure. I definitely agree to set it up properly if you can although I think there are ways around it if you need. If you securely fasten it to the bottom and layer substrate correctly I don’t see a major issue. The main thing would be inaccurate readings due to the substrate but you could always make a “capsule” to secure to the bottom. Anywho.... I’m just saying if you’re careful and inventive I think there are ways to safely control a uth with the probe on the inside. For the most accurate reading though place it under the enclosure if you can. Hope this helps!

You never want to put tape inside a snakes enclosure. I have heard of individuals using silicone to attach a probe but I just see room for mistakes to happen. And if something WERE to happen it could turn out very badly. I just dont see it worth the risk.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarshall View Post
    You never want to put tape inside a snakes enclosure. I have heard of individuals using silicone to attach a probe but I just see room for mistakes to happen. And if something WERE to happen it could turn out very badly. I just dont see it worth the risk.
    True. Have any ideas if they’re enclosure is on a flat table? What’s the best way to raise the enclosure while maintaining structural stability?

Thanks

*their wow horrible typo my bad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    True. Have any ideas if they’re enclosure is on a flat table? What’s the best way to raise the enclosure while maintaining structural stability?

Personally I use little cans of wet cat food, lol. But I plan to order some hockey pucks. Others have styrofoam on the bottom of their tanks, which they cut into to route the probe and nestle it in directly under the UTH. That way the probe is secure on the outside of the enclosure but you don't actually have to put it under the UTH. I think Sunnyskies (sp?) has a good tutorial for it.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Replying to add link to her tutorial: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ight=styrofoam

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Lusiphera (04-05-2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast