Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,146

1 members and 2,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Snek Momma

Thanks

Re: New Snek Momma

mhm, i have a heat lamp hanging over her tank now about 10 inches away (for safety). its regulated by the cold side thermostat (unplugged cold side heat pad).

So now for the past 24 hours its been sitting at -
    90 degree hotspot
    78-80 air temp
    52% humidity

but yes, currently all heat sources are controlled by thermostats. (no burning sneks!)
    Last edited by Neiska; 03-29-2019 at 07:01 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neiska For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-29-2019),Lusiphera (04-02-2019)

Thanks

Here is a copy/paste of what I sent someone who has been helping me on the forums, i hope im just reading too far into things, but am a little worried something isn't right -

------------------------------------------------------

Hello again,

Sorry to keep pestering you, but i just wanted your imput.

She ate on the evening of the 28th, havent handled her or anything sense then.

Last 2 nights when the lights were out/early evening, she was exploring her tank, climbing the plants and so on. (i asusme this is normal)

Today however, shes doing the same during the day. Normally she just hangs out in her hide. but today shes crawling around in the daytime.

I double checked her habitat and heres the following -

Fresh water,
    90F hot spot
    78-80 air temp
    55% humidity

The forums said that if they are out and about in the daytime, that means something is off or they arent happy. But ill be darned if i can think of anything. Everything was fine for a few days but today shes pretty active during the day even.

But she is mostly climbing up her plants (they are stuck on the wall with those suction cups), but i would think its possible shes trying to escape out the top, she is nosing around the walls too.

So just wanted to check. She did poo but its still too soon to feed rigt? (guides say every 5-7 days, but its only been 3?) So its too soon to feed her again?

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance, and sorry to bother you. I will also copy/paste this in my post.

Neiska

-----------------------------------

Just hope maybe shes curious or just checking things out, but shes been climbing her plants for the past two nights, and now during the day today too. Is this normal or a sign something is wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neiska View Post
    Here is a copy/paste of what I sent someone who has been helping me on the forums, i hope im just reading too far into things, but am a little worried something isn't right -

------------------------------------------------------

Hello again,

Sorry to keep pestering you, but i just wanted your imput.

She ate on the evening of the 28th, havent handled her or anything sense then.

Last 2 nights when the lights were out/early evening, she was exploring her tank, climbing the plants and so on. (i asusme this is normal)

Today however, shes doing the same during the day. Normally she just hangs out in her hide. but today shes crawling around in the daytime.

I double checked her habitat and heres the following -

Fresh water,
    90F hot spot
    78-80 air temp
    55% humidity

The forums said that if they are out and about in the daytime, that means something is off or they arent happy. But ill be darned if i can think of anything. Everything was fine for a few days but today shes pretty active during the day even.

But she is mostly climbing up her plants (they are stuck on the wall with those suction cups), but i would think its possible shes trying to escape out the top, she is nosing around the walls too.

So just wanted to check. She did poo but its still too soon to feed rigt? (guides say every 5-7 days, but its only been 3?) So its too soon to feed her again?

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance, and sorry to bother you. I will also copy/paste this in my post.

Neiska

-----------------------------------

Just hope maybe shes curious or just checking things out, but shes been climbing her plants for the past two nights, and now during the day today too. Is this normal or a sign something is wrong?
    One of my BP’s is extremely active at night, one is mildly active and one comes out every few days for a few minutes. None of then are active during the day unless they’re going for water or moving hides. You do have hides available on the warm and cool side? If you only have one on the warm side she could be coming out looking for a hiding spot somewhere cooler. Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, she does have two appropriate sized hides correct (One hot and one cool)? Also, what are you using measure temps?
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks

i have a thermostat/humidity gage on the side of the tank, but i use digital thermostats to control temperature. so i set it, and when the heat reaches that point both the heat lamp or UTH pad shuts off.

but in other news, Luna did accept her 3rd meal in a row without a fuss. no feeding issues at all whatsoever, aside from she refuses frozen/thawed. but other than that? no issues. just happy shes eating.

She just seems like shes a climber/explorer, she will climb around her fake plants and the cork wood i have in her habitat. lately shes sort of hanging out in her hides, with her head out, unballed body, sort of just relaxing there with her chin propped on her water dish. she just seems active sometimes and i wondered if that was a normal thing or a sign something was off.

Thanks

My bp only becomes really active at night near his scheduled feeding time. I think he’s just searching for food, doesn’t mean there’s husbandry issues. Although if yours is constantly moving that means it’s looking for something it can’t find. Maybe the temperature gradient is off, it’s hungry, or there could be a lack of hiding spots. If the animal is new it might take a while to calm down as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi I first wanted to mention many of the things Craig been saying I wanted to second. He is patiently and kindly with honesty trying to help you which I think is very noble. There are so many people through the years that need help. And it gets easy to become impatient with them. Some people listen some don't. I have seen many give advice and sometimes it becomes kind of unkind or blunt. So I believe you can get help from him. (pm or forum )

Next i noticed by the pics that your girl is larger than many of us might have expected and is their a way you can get a weight of her in grams so we can use the feeding guide to get the right size feeder or feeders. Most charts say feed every 7 days.

I noticed the back bone of your snake is kind of prominent which means it might need some larger feeders or maybe even more that one so we really need a weight in grams. I missed it if you posted the weight I apologize if I did. But if you haven't can you please weigh your snake in grams. You'll need a scale that converts to the gram units by the push of the button.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also by the pics I noticed you have the half log wooden hides. Those are what they use in pet stores, they don't offer much security and can be a problem in other ways so when you get a chance and the money you might want to get some better hides I like the black plastic type you find at reptilebasics.com and on Amazon too. They clean well and have off set openings which snakes seem to prefer going by the latest poll taken from them according to snake whisper's magazine. No seriously they like em.

Thanks
    I dont currently have a scale, but i will order one from amazon, as a few people have asked about her weight now. it just wasnt on the recommended supply list to start off.

And i actually have one of those plastic style hides, i will swap one out for it the next time i change her water and see if she likes it!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yeah, she would have two hides.. one on each side and the hides should touch the snake on all sides so they feel secure (not too big). The sides should also be closed on three sides and have a single opening. If the snake is wandering during the day, I’d think something it it’s enclosure is off. If it wayndering at night it’s probably hungry. I ask what you’re using to measure temps because the stick on dial types are not accurate.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast