Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

0 members and 3,109 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Snek Momma

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New Snek Momma

I’ve see people used like a foam material or something softer underneath. I don’t use a glass enclosures or tub, nor am I using a Uth so I’m not 100% sure. I’ll let others with hands-on experience answer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks
    update -

handled her for the first time for about 15 minutes, she was calm and relaxed the whole time, lots of tongue flickering and i even got to sneak in a snoot boop.

also while i had her out of her habitat i moved the probe for her heat pad from inside to inbetween the UTH and the glass on the underside, going to set it for 95 degrees, just estimating a 5 degree loss in heat through the glass.

Thanks everyone!

ps - also ordered a scale, so will post her weight when it gets here!
    Last edited by Neiska; 04-04-2019 at 05:09 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neiska For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-04-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Since your picking up a scale you may want to grab a temperature gun too. Theyre relatively cheap and you can get exact temp of the glass..
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Theoretically couldn’t you secure it under the substrate with duck tape or something? Depending on the species and setup I don’t see it being a huge issue.

No no no!!
    DEFINITELY no tape inside an enclosure. Especially over a heat source. The adhesive will soften and your snake will burrow under it eventually.
    I've seen some horrible scale damage from take and even read of one case where the snake got stuck to the tape. It must have panicked and thrashed because the animals neck broke and the snake died.

No tape ever inside a reptile enclosure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Lusiphera (04-05-2019)

Thanks

yea, every source i read online said 100% no kind of tape whatsoever, it can heat up and the humidity can irk the tape depending on the kind of tape, and then if the snake rubs against it, the tape can stick to it and do damage.

so i used those rubber suction cups to attach anything in the tank. havent had any fall off yet and they seem 100% safe for your danger noodle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    No no no!!
    DEFINITELY no tape inside an enclosure. Especially over a heat source. The adhesive will soften and your snake will burrow under it eventually.
    I've seen some horrible scale damage from take and even read of one case where the snake got stuck to the tape. It must have panicked and thrashed because the animals neck broke and the snake died.

No tape ever inside a reptile enclosure.
    Seems unlikely but yeah I see how it’s a bad idea. I was just trying to think of a way that would work with the probe inside the enclosure. If you have a species that doesn’t burrow and had a layer of packed substrate I think the chances of them moving the probe is minimal. You could always place a heavy object over it as well. I could see a problem arising if the snake tried to eat it That could be bad. I agree it’s not worth the risk when there’s an alternative.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    Update -

Luna's scale arrived and I have just weighed her. She is 126 grams. I "think" she is about 1.5-2 months old now, but that is just a guess. I have only had her sense the 14th of March. i dont have an exact hatch date for her, but i did email the breeder to ask. So hoping thats a good weight for her.

Thanks everyone!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neiska For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-05-2019)

Thanks
    Hello BP forums, heres an update!

Luna has done well over the year. No bad sheds yet to date and has only refused 4 or 5 meals over the entire year. Her 1 year birthday is this week, and she weighs 525 grams. She hasnt ate in 2 weeks now, but i suspect thats due to the cold weather and humidity drop, which i am fighting now.

Ive kept a close eye on her weight, and she has lost a little bit, but if she doesnt eat this week Ill be calling the vet, just to be safe.

Some updated pics!

https://ibb.co/3BqQz10

https://ibb.co/SV9V4Hm

Did have a question though - How long can a 1 year old BP go without food before I should start to worry? Pretty sure this is her longest without food. Not overly worried just yet, but do want to be safe and sure.

Thanks in advance!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345