Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Scientific Discovery?

Scientific discovery?

So I was waiting to post this after the third episode of Kingdoms, but I'm too excited to wait. So the Skink Dynasty has two possible discoveries. I'll explain the more interesting one now I can wait for the other.

The Southeastern Five Lined Skink is said to only eat live insects, but I've been discovering something very interesting and uncharacteristic about them. I believe the Skinks are consuming carrots, blueberries and strawberries! There is one snail left in the Skink Dynasty and I put fruits in last night. I was anticipating the snail to eat all he could. This evening I saw blueberries taken out of the container and one was split into two and one was absolutely crushed. I'm only releasing the footage in the third episode of the berries. This was unbelievable to see the carnage done to the blueberries and I saw bite marks in the carrots.

I will be working diligently to try and record one of the Skinks to see if they are truly consuming the fruit. If I get this on video it would be undeniable evidence.

Why does this matter? Try and find information on American Five Lined Skinks eating fruit. It's not common and I haven't found any research to show they eat fruits. There is no research on the Southeastern Five Lined Skinks on this subject. This could explain more about these mysterious Skinks. We don't know much about this subspecies so this could be a real discovery!

Why it makes sense
    These Skinks can live on islands where no water is present to drink. No freshwater but they flourish. They would most likely find fruit on the islands and in their territory and the fruit especially has juice in it. Blueberries are sweet and would be very healthy for the Skinks to eat but they must eat wild berries as well. They could get an easy meal and water which makes it very desirable. These Skinks seem to be very opportunistic and I have more to back this up but I don't wish to reveal all yet. So they are very opportunistic and I would not put this past them. That would show a higher intelligence in my opinion that these Skinks possess.

This could ask the question do Anoles eat fruits and vegetables too? Do other native skinks? What about other lizards if given the opportunity?

Have you ever seen a native lizard eat fruit?

Do you consider this to be a discovery?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-28-2019),Gio (04-09-2019),Jessibelle (04-17-2019)

Thanks

Re: Scientific Discovery?

To checkout the lives of the Skinks checkout the thread on the forum here!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Thanks

I got the footage!!

I wanted to let you all know that I got the footage of my skink eating blueberries tonight! I saw how he eats them and I was floored. He actually attacks them but he knows they are a fruit. It's so unbelievable to see. Not only did I record this but I FINALLY saw the Squirrel Tree Frog eat!! And while I was filming Pharaoh eating blueberries Florence was croaking right above him! I was in the right place at the right time tonight! I don't have the clips off my camera yet so I will have to get a picture to post.

So tomorrow I am going to give Pharaoh different food to try. Like strawberries tomorrow I will see if he eats them. This would be really cool to document. Then I will try carrots and so on. Kingdoms Episode 2 is waiting on the Dumpy Family to eat the Black Soldier Flies and I'll get them on film but so far no luck. So we will just have to wait a little bit longer.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (04-09-2019),Jessibelle (04-17-2019)

Thanks

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TechnoCheese For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (02-18-2020)

Thanks

Get ready for the sequel of this thread in the link below

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AAronCap; 02-18-2020 at 01:48 AM.