Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

1 members and 3,129 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pets or Display Animals?

I only have one ball python, but I'm already rabid for so many other species of snakes that it's insane. However, there are some species that I would consider getting that I would want purely as a display animal, not so much as a pet to interact with for fun. For instance, a green tree python. I think they're beautiful snakes, but I would mostly want to leave it be and just look at it and admire from afar.

So in your opinion, is it wrong to have an animal that's just for display that you don't intend to interact with? This is besides the obvious interactions, like cage cleaning, feeding, medical examination, etc, that naturally you are obligated to perform when you take on an animal.

I also want to make a point that if your animal will be involved in an educational program, it's the educator's responsibility that the animal can be interacted with safely.

So what do y'all think?
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

Thanks

Re: Pets or Display Animals?

From what I understand - and I may be wrong, by no means am I an expert - things like green tree pythons and emerald tree boas shouldn't be handled too often anyway because of their very delicate ribs. They're not as hardy as some of their cousin species. IMO as long as the animal is being cared for and is thriving in their environment I don't see an issue with it. As long as you keep their enclosure clean and keep them fed and husbandry on point so they're happy I think they would make great display animals.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

wolftrap (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with that at all.. there are some snakes that dont take well to handling, or are generally unsafe to handle (venomous species).

Others are too delicate and stress easily to be held often or for long periods of time.

Emerald tree boas, vine snakes, mangrove snakes, flying snakes, and tentacled snakes are the ones that jump to mind first.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (03-27-2019),Sonny1318 (03-26-2019),wolftrap (03-26-2019)

Thanks

I agree! In my opinion, reptiles don't need affection or attention, like dogs or cats (from what I know), so to leave them be and never try to pet or "cuddle" isn't a problem. However, I never hear of others having that opinion.
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftrap For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-26-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    My Amazon Tree Boas are display snakes, I only really interact with them for feeding, cleaning and taking photos.
    They can be safely handled, they just prefer to be left alone and I enjoy not getting bit a ton. haha
    For the Horde!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-26-2019),richardhind1972 (03-26-2019),Sonny1318 (03-26-2019),wolftrap (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrap View Post
    So in your opinion, is it wrong to have an animal that's just for display that you don't intend to interact with? This is besides the obvious interactions, like cage cleaning, feeding, medical examination, etc, that naturally you are obligated to perform when you take on an animal.
    Nope. Most snakes don't care if we interact with them or not. As long as their husbandry is correct and they are fed they're fine.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-26-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (03-26-2019),wolftrap (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrap View Post
    I agree! In my opinion, reptiles don't need affection or attention, like dogs or cats (from what I know), so to leave them be and never try to pet or "cuddle" isn't a problem. However, I never hear of others having that opinion.
    As already said, some species are better off with little or no handling, and certainly NO snakes evolved as pets for humans, but some do seem to like handling while
    others don't. So I wouldn't say it's "wrong" to have an animal for display...that's what zoos do for a living, lol. Personally I love to interact with what I keep, & choose
    animals accordingly. Sooner or later you have to do some interaction for maintenance, & it would seem to be less stressful for those already familiar with being handled.

The other way I look at it (ie. justify handling) is that a snake that is never handled is basically living in fear of what they assume is a giant predator lurking nearby (us!)-
    and since (excessive) stress has a negative impact on health for pretty much all living creatures, I want my animals to understand that they have nothing to fear from
    me, thru "hands-on". You have to remember that while handling wild creatures such as snakes may not happen in nature, they are also free to hide or flee, whereas we
    are holding them captive at a very close distance from us. Putting myself in their place (mentally), I think finding ways to reassure them is helpful, so while they may not
    "need" cuddling, it can benefit them because of their captive status. My snakes tend to live long & healthy lives, incidentally.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-26-2019),Dianne (03-26-2019),fadingdaylight (03-26-2019),Godzilla78 (03-26-2019),Jakethesnake69 (03-26-2019),richardhind1972 (03-26-2019),Shayne (03-26-2019),Sonny1318 (03-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The other way I look at it (ie. justify handling) is that a snake that is never handled is basically living in fear of what they assume is a giant predator lurking nearby (us!)-
    and since (excessive) stress has a negative impact on health for pretty much all living creatures, I want my animals to understand that they have nothing to fear from
    me, thru "hands-on". You have to remember that while handling wild creatures such as snakes may not happen in nature, they are also free to hide or flee, whereas we
    are holding them captive at a very close distance from us. Putting myself in their place (mentally), I think finding ways to reassure them is helpful, so while they may not
    "need" cuddling, it can benefit them because of their captive status. My snakes tend to live long & healthy lives, incidentally.
    Interesting approach. I like it.

Thanks
    I also agree with Boger, while there are some snakes that benefit from display status only, there are indeed many that seem to benefit from regular handing. I have several kings, a hognose, a bp, and had a bcc that all truly seemed to enjoy human interaction, so it may not be as black and white as many think it is.

Certain species seem friendlier than others, and there is great variations within a given species for such temperment.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),distaff (03-26-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    In my opinion, I prefer being able to handle my pets, no matter the species, even if it is for 5 min a week. I love to be able to see them up close, feel and examine their fur or scales, their beautiful eyes and be amazed each time how evolution or domestication (for my furballs) had come. My husband, on the other hand, likes display pets like fish and tarantulas. Imo, a pet is something you can bond by physical interaction. In his opinion, it is by the care and trust gained when the animal relaxes in your presence without physical touch.

To each his own.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),Dianne (03-26-2019),Godzilla78 (03-26-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast