Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

1 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

View Poll Results: What should I name her?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artemis

9 45.00%
  • Athena

11 55.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    she is sooooooo cute.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Newest venomous addition

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    she is sooooooo cute.
    All snakes are "cute"...but it's much easier to love (& care for) the ones you can safely handle. And for any health issues, it's FAR easier to help the snake, also to get
    medical issues taken care of that you cannot handle yourself. Don't miss what's special about the harmless snakes right in front of you to go in search of some mystique
    about hots...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (03-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    All snakes are "cute"...but it's much easier to love (& care for) the ones you can safely handle. And for any health issues, it's FAR easier to help the snake, also to get
    medical issues taken care of that you cannot handle yourself. Don't miss what's special about the harmless snakes right in front of you to go in search of some mystique
    about hots...
    Are..... you trying to run "damage control" on the thread and keep people away from hots? You do realize everyone that shows interest isn't necessarily gonna go out and get one, right?

Having said that, and having owned a few hots when I was younger, other than the mystique factor, they aren't all that different from non venomous behavior wise... many of the species have counterparts that behave similarly. Indigoes and cobras, gaboons and blood pythons.. behaviors between these snakes are not all that different.

Still though, I think venomous species have their place in the hands of responsible keepers who know and accept the risks involved.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),Pengil (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Are..... you trying to run "damage control" on the thread and keep people away from hots? You do realize everyone that shows interest isn't necessarily gonna go out and get one, right?

Having said that, and having owned a few hots when I was younger, other than the mystique factor, they aren't all that different from non venomous behavior wise... many of the species have counterparts that behave similarly. Indigoes and cobras, gaboons and blood pythons.. behaviors between these snakes are not all that different.

Still though, I think venomous species have their place in the hands of responsible keepers who know and accept the risks involved.
    I kept them (mostly rattlesnakes) for 20 years (safely!). Just adding "balance"...hots need love too but on a forum like this, it's easy for a few to make them into
    some sort of fantasy pet in their mind & forget the downsides, like finding a vet to help your "pet" when it's injured or sick. Snakes of all kinds are pretty addicting- I'm
    just keepin' it "real".

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (03-26-2019),Shayne (03-26-2019)

Thanks

I kept them (mostly rattlesnakes) for 20 years (safely!). Just adding "balance"...hots need love too but on a forum like this, it's easy for a few to make them into
    some sort of fantasy pet in their mind & forget the downsides, like finding a vet to help your "pet" when it's injured or sick. Snakes of all kinds are pretty addicting- I'm
    just keepin' it "real".
    True.... I forget there are people who go out and do this without thinking some times... so many idiots with more money than sense... though I doubt one could talk sense into those kinda people anyway.

It's illegal in my state to own venomous animals without a licence and they are only given out to scientists and wildlife educators, so I can't own them legally for hobby purposes anyway, so for me, they will always be a fantasy pet unless I move again. (Also jealous of retic and burm keepers in states where they are legal.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I appreciate all the love she's getting. She's been hiding most of the day when I checked on her.

Venomous animals can be great, just it's a serious commitment that should be well thought prior to getting in, you have pros and cons of anything you keep. When you keep venomous, you're then regulated by a federal agency which also opens up your home to them whenever they want. It can be a very rewarding hobby though in itself.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),Pengil (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    It's really nice to "see" you around here again, Neal...it's been a long time -unless you've been lurking & I haven't noticed? I hope you keep us updated & "don't
    be a stranger" here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Neal (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's really nice to "see" you around here again, Neal...it's been a long time -unless you've been lurking & I haven't noticed? I hope you keep us updated & "don't
    be a stranger" here.
    I come on every once in awhile, I do check the forums here and there, but now that work has situated I'm going to be more active.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Well I appreciate all the love she's getting. She's been hiding most of the day when I checked on her.

Venomous animals can be great, just it's a serious commitment that should be well thought prior to getting in, you have pros and cons of anything you keep. When you keep venomous, you're then regulated by a federal agency which also opens up your home to them whenever they want. It can be a very rewarding hobby though in itself.
    Yeah not worth it imo Personally I don’t think normal citizens should be able to keep venomous animals in their residence. It’s dangerous for the keeper and anyone else in the house. There’s no way to ensure that whoever purchases these animals take the necessary precautions and others including children could potentially be at risk. Also, it requires nearby hospitals to carry anti venom that they normally wouldn’t. I’m sure this would jack up your insurance as well. There’s also the risk of the animal getting out and even potentially becoming invasive in certain areas. Imagine having a situation like the berms but with a venomous species. I really think they should only be housed in professional settings like zoos. If you really want to work with venomous species then go through the required steps to become a herpetologist. So far I haven’t heard a single argument that logically validates owning these animals. Leave these guys to professionals. I’m certain I’ll receive hate for this but come on... if you just sit back and think about it it’s not worth the risk.
    What if the snake escaped and killed your dog or even your child? I’m guessing people might regret their purchase then. Stick to harmless species, this hobby doesn’t need anymore bad press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I’m sure this would jack up your insurance as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From the insurance perspective, it is more likely to get your policy cancelled than the rate increased if you haven’t disclosed your pets up front. Most homeowners or renters policies either completely exclude animal liability (any animal), or provide very limited liabilty coverage geared towards domesticated pets (but excluding vicious breeds, live stock, and exotic pets). There are probably specialized companies where you could purchase coverage, or possibly add on coverage you could purchase, but nothing I know of that is automatically inclusive for exotics.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2019)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast