Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,729

1 members and 2,728 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

View Poll Results: What should I name her?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artemis

9 45.00%
  • Athena

11 55.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I don't think venomous snakes are any MORE beautiful & appealing than harmless ones, but they're also not "less than"; you get a feeling of mutual respect- when
    you work with them in the right frame of mind they do seem to know us & realize we are safe room-mates. The ones I've known...I didn't enjoy them "because"
    they were hots but rather "in spite of it". And there's still some ways to interact with them safely, but for sure, they don't belong in most households.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (03-26-2019),Neal (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Newest venomous addition

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't think venomous snakes are any MORE beautiful & appealing than harmless ones, but they're also not "less than"; you get a feeling of mutual respect- when
    you work with them in the right frame of mind they do seem to know us & realize we are safe room-mates. The ones I've known...I didn't enjoy them "because"
    they were hots but rather "in spite of it". And there's still some ways to interact with them safely, but for sure, they don't belong in most households.
    Right and it's a matter of opinions. I think bush vipers are the best looking snakes because of the way they remind me of a dragon. I had two but I wanted to solely focus on cobras because I can't work with vipers in the same with I can with cobras. Every cobra I've ever worked with will let you know what kind of mood it's in, a viper you can't really tell and if you get within striking range, you're likely to get bit.

As far as keeping, yes I think may people shouldn't keep because of either lack of being prepared or in some cases they get them for the wrong reasons.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Right and it's a matter of opinions. I think bush vipers are the best looking snakes because of the way they remind me of a dragon. I had two but I wanted to solely focus on cobras because I can't work with vipers in the same with I can with cobras. Every cobra I've ever worked with will let you know what kind of mood it's in, a viper you can't really tell and if you get within striking range, you're likely to get bit.

As far as keeping, yes I think may people shouldn't keep because of either lack of being prepared or in some cases they get them for the wrong reasons.
    I'm partial to rattlesnakes & they can be read & even influenced once you understand them. Don't get me started- I've known quite a few as they were native where
    I used to live in the desert. I've only known one cobra, an albino monocled that was venomoid with every reason to have the attitude she came with. "Moody" would
    be an understatement, but not her fault...the guy she came from was a disrespectful jerk. Bush vipers ARE pretty adorable...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Neal (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm partial to rattlesnakes & they can be read & even influenced once you understand them. Don't get me started- I've known quite a few as they were native where
    I used to live in the desert. I've only known one cobra, an albino monocled that was venomoid with every reason to have the attitude she came with. "Moody" would
    be an understatement, but not her fault...the guy she came from was a disrespectful jerk. Bush vipers ARE pretty adorable...
    Indeed they are, and I've had rattlesnakes. I had one Crotalus tortugensis that was curious as ever, anytime I would touch the tank he would pop his head out, and come to the front of the cage and try to come out. Almost like he was trying to come get a hug(not really but yea lol). I just find it more enjoyable to work with cobras, and I'm able to read their behavior. When I had my two bush vipers and my horned viper, I never knew what to expect from them.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I have no experience in venomous snakes, but I couldn't help noticing that little Artemis has a head scale pattern nearly identical to my black ratsnake, and very similar body structure! Very cool! Are they related in any way?
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I have no experience in venomous snakes, but I couldn't help noticing that little Artemis has a head scale pattern nearly identical to my black ratsnake, and very similar body structure! Very cool! Are they related in any way?
    Not hardly, lol....many snakes have similar patterns...nature "keeps" designs that work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not related, but very neat about the patterns though. She's goin to get big, though I hope she stays on the 5 foot side. I know they can get to like 7 feet. That's a big spitting cobra lol.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Cobras, like rat snakes, are active & fairly "out-going", but happily you don't have to worry about venom with a rat snake...just enjoy their personality. We're lucky here
    in the U.S. in that most of our snakes are harmless...it's not like that everywhere. Places like Africa & Australia have "more than their share" of venomous snakes, but
    no matter where you are, don't handle a snake unless you are absolutely SURE you know what it is [that it's harmless], since it's still possible to encounter a non-native
    snake that escaped captivity. It's always good to become familiar with the "locals" in your area...but sometimes they still vary from photos shown, so if you're not sure,
    use a hook.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Not related, but very neat about the patterns though. She's goin to get big, though I hope she stays on the 5 foot side. I know they can get to like 7 feet. That's a big spitting cobra lol.
    I have a couple of rat snakes (c/b males, Florida yellow x gulf hammock) that are each roughly 7'....I'm really glad they're not cobras! That's a lot of spit...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Name her Medusa! LOL.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast