Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

1 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Male not feeding in spring?

Okay, so this is gunna be a little lengthy because I don't know what info is going to be helpful.
    I got Loki, age three Pastel Super Stripe, at the end of April/beginning of June last year. He's my first ball python, not my first snake. The breeder fed him live and assured me he was an avid eater. Brought him home to a prepared 20 long, waited a couple weeks and he took a frozen/thawed just fine! After a few posts on here, I was encouraged to upgrade him to a 40. (never missing a meal!)
    So around September I upgraded him. Same substrate and hides. He ate all through January, which I was excited about because isn't it fall/early winter when they fast? But he took to the change, continued to eat whatever and whenever I offered. Breeder fed him once every 14, I've tried to feed every 7-10.
    Starting the beginning of February he stopped eating! For the whole month, not a single meal!! Still active, hasn't lost any weight. Starting March, I added some fake leaves around his house, thinking maybe he felt exposed randomly after all this time. But still didn't eat until the 19th, he took his first meal! I tried to feed him last night and nothing.
    When I try to feed him, he'll look at it and get close but he won't strike. If I wiggle it in his face he like gets scared, cinnamon rolls and hisses. (Loki doesn't quite ball, he turns into a tight, neat circle and his colors make him look like a cinnamon roll)
    I just checked (digital thermometer gun thing) and his cool side is a 78 and his warm is at 91. His warm side is maintained with a heat mat and a thermostat regulator thing. I live in Florida and the humidity in my room is usually enough for all my animals. But he does have a large tupperware to soak in. A small rock to drink from and I do occasionally mist his tank when I mist my geckos. Though Loki usually lives on his cool side.
    In my head I think he's just being a stinker, but if I'm doing something wrong I want to fix it.
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 03-25-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    At that age I personally wouldn’t sweat a month or so of his not eating. I’d cut back to like maybe every two weeks. Maybe even skip three. Long as his husbandry is on point, I won’t worry at all. Best of luck
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),Dianne (03-25-2019),mischiefneko (03-25-2019),SVT Wylde (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    It might be a spring thing. My male has been feeding like a champ but he has been slow to respond the last 2 weeks of feedings. He usually takes the rat instantly but now I have to heat it and reheat it and do a rat zombie dance right in front of his face. It’s very unlike him but as Sonny said, I’m going to offer every 2 weeks for a while and see what happens.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),mischiefneko (04-06-2019),Sonny1318 (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I would feed every two weeks. My guy was an avid eater too. He did his hunger strike and now will not eat every week only every two weeks.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),mischiefneko (04-06-2019),SVT Wylde (03-26-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Male go of feeds for variety of reasons, fasting to catch up because they are being fed too often and or too much, sexual maturity, husbandry issues, and mainly because they are ball python and they are not the most voracious species.

I think here you definitely have sexual maturity involve, maybe even a little too much food.

The best you can do is make sure everything is on point husbandry wise and wait it out, depending on the size of your male a fast could last a long time.

Over the years I have kept my males in smaller enclosure during a certain time of the year so they continue to feed but than again those males are breeding which is why I need them to feed as breeding plus fasting could take it's tall very fast, for a pet that would not worry me at all but the option of downsizing could still be something I would look into as well.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-07-2019),mischiefneko (04-06-2019),SVT Wylde (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I agree with the others: feed (offer) every 2 weeks. Your boy is growing up...at age 3, he may also be thinking of "other things" but either way, just doesn't
    need to eat as often. This is really normal behavior for BPs.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-26-2019),SVT Wylde (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    For everyone who has mentioned breeding, the Breeder has bred him in the past. (selling Loki as one of his sons is replacing him in the breeding program).
    I don't know his birth date, but I'd say he's four or almost four at this point.
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 04-06-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks
    Definitely feed every two weeks. Also do you have other snakes to feed his uneaten food to? If mine doesn't eat it goes to boop. That way I don't waste food.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Male not feeding in spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Definitely feed every two weeks. Also do you have other snakes to feed his uneaten food to? If mine doesn't eat it goes to boop. That way I don't waste food.
    I do not. The only other snake I have is a Kenyan Sand Boa. Who eats hopper mice. I'm wanting to get another ball python, I just haven't found one I want yet....

Thanks

Re: Male not feeding in spring?

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    I do not. The only other snake I have is a Kenyan Sand Boa. Who eats hopper mice. I'm wanting to get another ball python, I just haven't found one I want yet....
    thats just another reason to get another beep lol
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast