Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

2 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Threaded View

Thanks

Male not feeding in spring?

Okay, so this is gunna be a little lengthy because I don't know what info is going to be helpful.
    I got Loki, age three Pastel Super Stripe, at the end of April/beginning of June last year. He's my first ball python, not my first snake. The breeder fed him live and assured me he was an avid eater. Brought him home to a prepared 20 long, waited a couple weeks and he took a frozen/thawed just fine! After a few posts on here, I was encouraged to upgrade him to a 40. (never missing a meal!)
    So around September I upgraded him. Same substrate and hides. He ate all through January, which I was excited about because isn't it fall/early winter when they fast? But he took to the change, continued to eat whatever and whenever I offered. Breeder fed him once every 14, I've tried to feed every 7-10.
    Starting the beginning of February he stopped eating! For the whole month, not a single meal!! Still active, hasn't lost any weight. Starting March, I added some fake leaves around his house, thinking maybe he felt exposed randomly after all this time. But still didn't eat until the 19th, he took his first meal! I tried to feed him last night and nothing.
    When I try to feed him, he'll look at it and get close but he won't strike. If I wiggle it in his face he like gets scared, cinnamon rolls and hisses. (Loki doesn't quite ball, he turns into a tight, neat circle and his colors make him look like a cinnamon roll)
    I just checked (digital thermometer gun thing) and his cool side is a 78 and his warm is at 91. His warm side is maintained with a heat mat and a thermostat regulator thing. I live in Florida and the humidity in my room is usually enough for all my animals. But he does have a large tupperware to soak in. A small rock to drink from and I do occasionally mist his tank when I mist my geckos. Though Loki usually lives on his cool side.
    In my head I think he's just being a stinker, but if I'm doing something wrong I want to fix it.
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 03-25-2019 at 03:38 PM.