Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,942

0 members and 1,942 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Follicles aborbed

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudynight1017 View Post
    To each their own.
    While I normally agree to each their own and different things work for different people, what's the point in this? Why does it matter or do you need to know how many eggs/slugs there will be? Once the female ovulates, it's done. It just seems like unnecessary stress. Sorry if this is going off topic.

OP - it might be nothing, might be she built but won't ovulate or maybe she will.
    Females of a variety of species can and do lay full clutches of non-fertalized eggs and there is no harm. I think surgery to remove follicles seems totally unneeded and would be a waste of money not to mention the stress it would put on the female. My female corn lays a clutch of eggs each year now that there's a male corn in the house, but they have never been in contact. I would only think surgery would be necessary if the female becomes egg bound while trying to lay.
    Hope everything works out okay!
    For the Horde!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (03-26-2019)

Registered User Cloudynight1017's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colin-java View Post
    I don't know exactly when the male is meant to be introduced, but if its before ovulation that might trigger her to start building up the follicles, I donno, just speculating there.
    The male can be introduced before hand to stimulate follicle growth. Some pair every shed cycle of the female. Some pair once a month. I personally aim for every other week. All pairings are before ovulation. Once ovulation occurs it’s a done deal. This site helped me a great deal. I still give it a read or 2 every season
    https://ballpython.ca/breeding/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in GOD only I spell it NATURE

0.1 Albino 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Clown
    1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly
    1.0 Pastel Banana 1.0 Mojave 100% Het Clown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-26-2019)

Registered User Cloudynight1017's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know exactly when the male is meant to be introduced, but if its before ovulation that might trigger her to start building up the follicles, I donno, just speculating there.
    I should mention that more people than not follow the “breeding season”. This will start typically between the months of October and January as that’s when it gets colder in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in GOD only I spell it NATURE

0.1 Albino 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Clown
    1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly
    1.0 Pastel Banana 1.0 Mojave 100% Het Clown

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    While I normally agree to each their own and different things work for different people, what's the point in this? Why does it matter or do you need to know how many eggs/slugs there will be? Once the female ovulates, it's done. It just seems like unnecessary stress. Sorry if this is going off topic.

OP - it might be nothing, might be she built but won't ovulate or maybe she will.
    Females of a variety of species can and do lay full clutches of non-fertalized eggs and there is no harm. I think surgery to remove follicles seems totally unneeded and would be a waste of money not to mention the stress it would put on the female. My female corn lays a clutch of eggs each year now that there's a male corn in the house, but they have never been in contact. I would only think surgery would be necessary if the female becomes egg bound while trying to lay.
    Hope everything works out okay!
    Doesn't the prelay shed strongly indicate laying will occur?

I also don't wanna do surgery as theres no need for it after just 2 weeks time of the diagnosis of the follicle growth, its not like a broken leg or something (which snakes don't tend to get anyway).
    Obviously its bad for the snake and my wallet too.
    The vet is gonna phone me tomorrow, I'm gonna tell him I'll wait for her to shed and give her a month or so to lay eggs before I do anything.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Doesn't the prelay shed strongly indicate laying will occur?

I also don't wanna do surgery as theres no need for it after just 2 weeks time of the diagnosis of the follicle growth, its not like a broken leg or something (which snakes don't tend to get anyway).
    Obviously its bad for the snake and my wallet too.
    The vet is gonna phone me tomorrow, I'm gonna tell him I'll wait for her to shed and give her a month or so to lay eggs before I do anything.
    As I explained previously you do not know if it was pre-lay, if your snake was building up which means developing follicles it does not mean she ovulated (egg fertilization) nor that she will ovulate especially since there is no male involved and that parthenogenesis is highly unlikely.

Female will build up (developing follicles) however if not bred they just simply absorbed their follicles (some rare cases of ova being expelled have also been documented)

Follicular development is something that last 4 to 8 months and during that time females will shed, those are not pre-lay shed, a pre-lay shed is something happening withing 14 days of ovulation and an ovulation is hard to miss and very different than just building up, the animal is VERY swollen in the mid section and hard nothing like the picture you posted.

Worst case if you missed the ovulation (again unlikely without a male) and the animal had a pre-lay shed your eggs would be laid 30 days after the pre-lay (on average)

I will say it again drop your vet he has NO CLUE.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    As I explained previously you do not know if it was pre-lay, if your snake was building up which means developing follicles it does not mean she ovulated (egg fertilization) nor that she will ovulate especially since there is no male involved and that parthenogenesis is highly unlikely.

Female will build up (developing follicles) however if not bred they just simply absorbed their follicles (some rare cases of ova being expelled have also been documented)

Follicular development is something that last 4 to 8 months and during that time females will shed, those are not pre-lay shed, a pre-lay shed is something happening withing 14 days of ovulation and an ovulation is hard to miss and very different than just building up, the animal is VERY swollen in the mid section and hard nothing like the picture you posted.

Worst case if you missed the ovulation (again unlikely without a male) and the animal had a pre-lay shed your eggs would be laid 30 days after the pre-lay (on average)

I will say it again drop your vet he has NO CLUE.
    Thanks, but those pictures were a few days after I noticed the heavy swelling, it had gone down quite a bit by then, I should have took pictures when I first noticed it.

So I think it might have been an ovulation, it does tie in with the pre-lay shed.

On the other hand, she does look pretty much back to normal, only slightly wider around the bottom third of body, so perhaps all follicles have been absorbed.

Is it possible for a large follicle to not be reabsorbed, and not develop into an egg (fertilised or unfertilised), and just sit there doing nothing???

The vet is gonna phone me today, I'm gonna tell him I'm just gonna wait to see if any eggs get laid.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I want some pie. Anyone else?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123