Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,023

1 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User Cloudynight1017's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Follicles aborbed

Quote Originally Posted by colin-java View Post
    Actually I had both an ultrasound and x-ray done, the ultrasound showed a couple of egg like things, but it was hard to tell what was what without the x-ray. The vet just said it was the follicles.

I donno if this is relevant, but she has just gone into shed, about 2 weeks after the follicles got enlarged and she was bloated.
    Might just be a coincidence she is shedding right now, but parthenogenesis is statistically unlikely, I suppose I can research it during the next month so I know what to do.

I would love some babies though, it would be great if it happened.
    It sounds like ovulation occurred 2 weeks ago and now she is entering her pre-lay shed. It’s typically 30 days (give or take) after this you should see some eggs. The eggs will pass whether they are slugs (unfertilized egg) or viable eggs with life inside. Did the vet by any chance measure the follicles during the ultrasound? Ovulation occurs when the follicles are around 40-45 mm in diameter (roughly the size of a golf ball). Have you tried palpating? This method is very helpful as they near the lay date. Fertile eggs will feel soft, squishy, and marshmallow like while unfertilized eggs will feel hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in GOD only I spell it NATURE

0.1 Albino 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Clown
    1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly
    1.0 Pastel Banana 1.0 Mojave 100% Het Clown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-25-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This method is very helpful as they near the lay date. Fertile eggs will feel soft, squishy, and marshmallow like while unfertilized eggs will feel hard.
    Not sure what your breeding experience is but before giving that kind of advice you might want to do a little more research, no one palpates near lay date nor would it be helpful, actually you want to avoid palpating once the animal ovulated (and there is no proof that the animal did in this case, the animal was more than likely just building up and they will shed during follicular development.

People palpate to feel for follicles not eggs.

unfertilized eggs will feel hard.
    Yes and no slugs may feel hard however unfertilized eggs with no vein structure will feel like any normal eggs.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-25-2019)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Deborah;2685840]Not sure what your breeding experience is but before giving that kind of advice you might want to do a little more research, no one palpates near lay date nor would it be helpful, actually you want to avoid palpating once the animal ovulated

It is very helpful and I have been palpating after ovulation 3 years now. I can tell exactly how many slugs vs. fertile eggs my females and the females of friends will be laying. With the exception like you said the ones with no vein structure that are plump like a fertile egg (which was one egg in my case). This is the first that I’m hearing of “no one palpates near lay date” I’m going to have to kindly disagree with you.

1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-25-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is very helpful and I have been palpating after ovulation 3 years now. I can tell exactly how many slugs vs. fertile eggs my females and the females of friends will be laying. With the exception like you said the ones with no vein structure that are plump like a fertile egg (which was one egg in my case). This is the first that I’m hearing of “no one palpates near lay date” I’m going to have to kindly disagree with you.

So you accomplish nothing (because you could have an entire clutch of unfertile eggs and you would not know). All you do is putting the female through unecessary stress at a time you should really not, squashing around eggs that you should really avoid squashing.

All that is common sense and the fact that other let you do this on their females is actually crazy.

Another don't try this at home people.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    So you accomplish nothing (because you could have an entire clutch of unfertile eggs and you would not know). All you do is putting the female through unecessary stress at a time you should really not, squashing around eggs that you should really avoid squashing.

All that is common sense and the fact that other let you do this on their females is actually crazy.

Another don't try this at home people.
    To each their own. I find it hilarious how many “Nazis” there are in this hobby you feel “their way” is the “only way”....face palm. I don’t know if your version of palpating is “hulk smashing” I know mine isn’t. In fact very little pressure is needed because they are so big. Your talking about “squashing” the very same eggs that are in turn so hearty and durable. No where does the “common sense” fall? Before you decide that you are a “keyboard warrior” why don’t you do some research to broaden your narrow mind. You are exactly the wrong person for this hobby. Rather asking questions you make assumptions. Rather than politely disagreeing like I did in my previous comment you got snotty. Apparently it’s an unspoken “rule” that everyone must agree on everything or else you just don’t have common sense. I’m sorry but in this case I would much rather palpate my female to answer my question rather than cause unnecessary stress by vet appointments for X-rays and ultrasounds. Maybe I should double check with you first since CLEARLY you seem to be the master splinter around here.

1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudynight1017 View Post
    It sounds like ovulation occurred 2 weeks ago and now she is entering her pre-lay shed. It’s typically 30 days (give or take) after this you should see some eggs. The eggs will pass whether they are slugs (unfertilized egg) or viable eggs with life inside. Did the vet by any chance measure the follicles during the ultrasound? Ovulation occurs when the follicles are around 40-45 mm in diameter (roughly the size of a golf ball). Have you tried palpating? This method is very helpful as they near the lay date. Fertile eggs will feel soft, squishy, and marshmallow like while unfertilized eggs will feel hard.

Thanks for the help, its all a bit bewildering for me at the moment...
    No he didn't measure them on the ultrasound, but I saw them, or a cross section of them, hard for me to say how big they were to be honest.

I understand the follicles become the eggs when fertilized by a male, that's kinda obvious,
    But without a male (and without parthenogenesis) can follicles become unfertilized eggs (slugs)?
    And if so, I suppose that still counts as ovulation as they are still eggs?

Right now, her eyes are going cloudy, so that matches her swelling up 2 weeks ago.

I didn't try palpating at the time she was bloated as I thought she was a male at that point, she basically just felt squishy underneath in that area, as opposed to firm like under the stomach area.

Thanks for the help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to colin-java For This Useful Post:

Cloudynight1017 (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the help, its all a bit bewildering for me at the moment...
    No he didn't measure them on the ultrasound, but I saw them, or a cross section of them, hard for me to say how big they were to be honest.

I understand the follicles become the eggs when fertilized by a male, that's kinda obvious,
    But without a male (and without parthenogenesis) can follicles become unfertilized eggs (slugs)?
    And if so, I suppose that still counts as ovulation as they are still eggs?

Right now, her eyes are going cloudy, so that matches her swelling up 2 weeks ago.

I didn't try palpating at the time she was bloated as I thought she was a male at that point, she basically just felt squishy underneath in that area, as opposed to firm like under the stomach area.

Thanks for the help.
    Without a male they will either be partho or unfertilized (slug or not). My opinion is that it was ovulation. If it happened to me I would palpate and have my answer right then and there. 2 weeks after ovulation though you really aren’t going to feel the separation/definition of each individual egg. It would feel all fluffy kinda. Unlike when you palpate when there are no follicles you can feel air bubbles and urates etc...this would just feel super soft like a squishy pillow.

1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Without a male they will either be partho or unfertilized (slug or not). My opinion is that it was ovulation. If it happened to me I would palpate and have my answer right then and there. 2 weeks after ovulation though you really aren’t going to feel the separation/definition of each individual egg. It would feel all fluffy kinda. Unlike when you palpate when there are no follicles you can feel air bubbles and urates etc...this would just feel super soft like a squishy pillow.

It felt very squishy, I noticed a few weeks prior to the bloating/ovulating she was drinking a lot more than usual.
    And she's been lying funny as well from time to time with her belly up, but her head is always the right way up.

I don't understand why I don't see her building up follicles every year, since they can breed every year in theory.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to colin-java For This Useful Post:

Cloudynight1017 (03-25-2019)

Thanks

It felt very squishy, I noticed a few weeks prior to the bloating/ovulating she was drinking a lot more than usual.
    And she's been lying funny as well from time to time with her belly up, but her head is always the right way up.

I don't understand why I don't see her building up follicles every year, since they can breed every year in theory.
    I have 1 female that never shows any signs at all. She doesn’t bowl wrap, she doesn’t really swell up (with the exception of ovulation) so doesn’t lay inverted, she doesn’t stay on the cool end. You would think that she just wasn’t going to go if you didn’t palpate or ultrasound her. In fact her ovulations are small as well. She ovulated on the 9th of this month and she isn’t even going into shed yet. I think this year she will be skipping her pre-lay shed. I wouldn’t stress out too much about her not displaying the typical signs while building. You should though make notes because most females typically follow the same schedule every year. My albino girl followed the exact same schedule right down to the day while the others were with a month of the previous year. Maybe next year it will be easier for you to notice her signs now that you kinda know what she does.

1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudynight1017 For This Useful Post:

colin-java (03-26-2019)

Thanks

I have 1 female that never shows any signs at all. She doesn’t bowl wrap, she doesn’t really swell up (with the exception of ovulation) so doesn’t lay inverted, she doesn’t stay on the cool end. You would think that she just wasn’t going to go if you didn’t palpate or ultrasound her. In fact her ovulations are small as well. She ovulated on the 9th of this month and she isn’t even going into shed yet. I think this year she will be skipping her pre-lay shed. I wouldn’t stress out too much about her not displaying the typical signs while building. You should though make notes because most females typically follow the same schedule every year. My albino girl followed the exact same schedule right down to the day while the others were with a month of the previous year. Maybe next year it will be easier for you to notice her signs now that you kinda know what she does.

Thanks, I've had her 24 years though and not noticed before, might be a mid-life crisis or something.
    But I'll pay attention to these dates next year.

I don't know exactly when the male is meant to be introduced, but if its before ovulation that might trigger her to start building up the follicles, I donno, just speculating there.
    Last edited by colin-java; 03-26-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast