Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

2 members and 2,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Stuck shed on head

My snake recently had a really bad shed because she was dehydrated but yesterday I gently took off most of the remaining shed after giving her a warm bath. I didn’t know if i should get the skin on her head or not so I left it because she also has retained eye caps. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether I should leave the skin for her next shed or go ahead and try to take it off. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    In my experience, it's never going to get easier to remove it...it only gets more "stuck" the longer you wait.

I'd try misting heavily, then putting the snake in a ventilated container with a thick & very damp towel for a few hours, with towel over the snake's head.

(Just a very damp towel...NOT underwater!) Then check back & see if you can gently work off the remaining shed & eyecaps. Check the tail tip too, btw.

You probably know by now, but if not: working slowly & gently with a snake, they may squirm some but rarely lash out at you...they mostly seem to
    catch on that we're helping or at least that we are not predators...at least, that's my experience, & I've helped plenty of snakes over many years.

For the face/head especially, don't hold the snake too tightly to get this done; rather, it's a give & take, somewhat loose restraint, even though it takes
    longer, will get you better results. So be patient but determined.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-24-2019 at 03:42 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-25-2019),Jasmijn (03-27-2019),snakesnakesnake (03-24-2019)