Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Upgrading from 20L and wanted ideas.

Hello everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my 2 kings (adult male cal king, juvie fem florida king) from their own 20 long aquariums to something more spacious that will provide them with more room and additional decor for enrichment. I'm not a fan of racks, personally, but I understand why people use them. I was mainly looking for ideas for enclosures; what everyone uses, what they recommend, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Well, I'm one of them old-fashioned types that likes to see my snakes...& not in plastic. When I kept adult king snakes, they lived in 40 gal. "breeder"
    glass tanks, w/ scenery on the outside back & sides, & with plenty of room inside for furnishings. I'll never be a rack person either, but to each their own.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My king is in a T8 Animal Plastics (4 x 2) enclosure. I drilled extra holes on the sides for more ventilation. She was previously house from a 36 inch tub (temporarily) to a 75 gallon tank (4 x 18").

I agree, tubs are terrible for active snakes although mine never nose push her tub or try to get out. It was so obvious she needed the space to move (She is about 4 feet or a little longer). Between the PVC and the 75 gallon tank, I would go with the tank because she would have the option to bask and she will if a basking spot is provided. And I like the glass tank + lights look better (Maybe I'm used to it from my lizards tanks). But the PVC offers more width in comparison (From 18" to 24") and Nibbler feels so secure in there that she would stretch out and sleep out in the open even though hides are provided.

The 75 gallon tank is a Reptohabitat. You may find them at trade shows or reptile specialty stores. They are more costly and difficult to find so you may have to do some calling and searching. It is worth it though because it is a multi-use tank for other types of reptiles if you decide to move your king somewhere else (can be filled with water for turtles or use it dry for lizards like bearded dragons). I would recommend that over a 75 gallon fish tank for more floor space. If you have to use a fish tank, go for 125 gallon for more floor space than height.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 03-24-2019 at 07:24 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I agree...go bigger if you can.