Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

0 members and 3,020 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is Grimm

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    He's a killer alright! Next thing you know he'll be trying to "measure" you.

The best thing about feisty snakes is that it's so satisfying when we turn them into cuddle-monsters. I like darker boas too, he's so very handsome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: This is Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Beautiful addition Willow. It's great to see more folks keeping BCO. They're very underrated imo.
    You were an inspiration in my choice to get Mirabelle, Ziggy! And I agree, very underrated and incredibly awesome snakes for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-24-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great new pick there, love the Argentine boas, nice to see a smile for the camera.
    You should hopefully win him round in time.
    You got too love a little hisser

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oohhh he's beautiful!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    what a cute little spitfire!
    congrats! I'm glad more people are keeping this awesome species!
    For the Horde!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-24-2019)

Thanks
    Neat boa!

As a youngster they can be defensive and will back it up with a bite but they are not quick to do so and I don't recall ever getting bit by my pair in something over 12 years (I never used a hook either). The Occidentalis in my care (as large mature adults) prefer to be interacted with on their terms. If I open one of the doors to the enclosure and just reach at them, either one will give a loud open mouth hiss to this day. If I open the door and give them a couple of minutes to see what's up they will come check me out and let me drag them out without a hint of care. -And I rarely handle them.

When kept so they feel secure (and loose the defensive youth) both of mine are the most interactive reptiles I've kept in many decades. Either one will come to an open door (especially when hungry) and even hang way out to check things out no matter what is going on in the room. Its pretty awesome to have an eight and half foot snake cross the floor of her home and put her face about 3 inches from your hands while I'm spot cleaning.

Another thing about them is their ability to thermoregulate. If you use undercage heat they will compress their body so more surface area is touching the floor to gain heat or the opposite to loose heat -other boas do this to some extent but Occidentalis can stay on a floor temp that is higher than desired for a much longer time than other boas. They also do well when offered seasons with a long cool period.

Sorry...I could go on and on about these...there is nothing like an Occidentalis. Adapt yourself to this boa and enjoy the uniqueness they offer.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-27-2019),EL-Ziggy (03-27-2019),jmcrook (03-27-2019),richardhind1972 (03-27-2019),WhompingWillow (03-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    Neat boa!

As a youngster they can be defensive and will back it up with a bite but they are not quick to do so and I don't recall ever getting bit by my pair in something over 12 years (I never used a hook either). The Occidentalis in my care (as large mature adults) prefer to be interacted with on their terms. If I open one of the doors to the enclosure and just reach at them, either one will give a loud open mouth hiss to this day. If I open the door and give them a couple of minutes to see what's up they will come check me out and let me drag them out without a hint of care. -And I rarely handle them.

When kept so they feel secure (and loose the defensive youth) both of mine are the most interactive reptiles I've kept in many decades. Either one will come to an open door (especially when hungry) and even hang way out to check things out no matter what is going on in the room. Its pretty awesome to have an eight and half foot snake cross the floor of her home and put her face about 3 inches from your hands while I'm spot cleaning.

Another thing about them is their ability to thermoregulate. If you use undercage heat they will compress their body so more surface area is touching the floor to gain heat or the opposite to loose heat -other boas do this to some extent but Occidentalis can stay on a floor temp that is higher than desired for a much longer time than other boas. They also do well when offered seasons with a long cool period.

Sorry...I could go on and on about these...there is nothing like an Occidentalis. Adapt yourself to this boa and enjoy the uniqueness they offer.
    Thank you, I love hearing more and more about them! So far he's made good use of his cage, as bare bones as it is until we are sure he didn't come in with any critters. He's pretty active and very alert - will come right up to me if I'm looking at him through the glass. We've had him out twice, once for cage cleaning (he was a VERY exuberant eater) and once to get a weight. Both times there's been a lot of posturing but no actual biting yet, although I'm expecting some tags from him. So far he has been pretty good to handle when in your hands unless anything in the environment changes - being set down on a surface, someone else walking into the room - then he goes a bit nuts lol. Handling will remain at a bare minimum until he's had at least 3 meals. I'm looking forward to gaining his trust over time.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-27-2019),jmcrook (03-27-2019),richardhind1972 (03-27-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    So true! I was cracking up tonight because you could tell he was trying his best to be scary, but he's just adorable.

He's our only snake that hisses and the only one who is very defensive, so that's been a new experience. Our carpets and other boas don't make a peep, and here comes Mr. Grimm all hisshissstrikehissstrikeatyourfacehisstailrattle ��
    One of my BPs is like this. "YOU NO TOUCH SNEK! YOU NO TOUCH SNEK!!" HE's tagged my sister 3 times during water changes before the move. Once he's out though, he's perfectly chill.

Paul

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Grimm is an absolute gorgeous Argentine boa! Love the attitude! XD
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

We are making a more concentrated effort to work with Grimm because he is still very defensive, and today was the first day of having him out that he didn't hiss. He got a bit squirrelly and made a few half-hearted strikes, but nothing like he usually does. Hopefully we continue to make progress.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-02-2020),EL-Ziggy (02-03-2020),jmcrook (02-02-2020),richardhind1972 (02-02-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast