Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

0 members and 2,973 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python gaining too much weight?

Hey guys I got my ball python Montee last September he was about 5 months old and every now and then I weigh him, recently I’ve noticed he has more of an appetite and he’s gaining weight a lot faster too, I started feeding him small frozen thawed rats when he hit 500g once a week and he is currently 982 g

I’m going to attach his eating chart, basically he’s gaining 100g every month is that normal for an 11 month old BP?

Thank you sorry if this is a stupid question just a little curious.

RP - rat pup
    WR - weaned rat
    SR - small rat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorsa For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-24-2019)

Thanks
    Sounds healthy to me my largest male has gained 100 grams a month for the last couple months. He just hit 623 and has never missed a meal but shows no signs of being overweight. My smallest noodle has definitely beefed up quite a bit since I got him. He is also on his way to 100 a month strong eater never missed a meal since I got him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stickee8 For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (03-23-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It varies from snake to snake focus less on numbers and more on overall proportions.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (03-23-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    That's a big boy. Are you 100% sure he's actually a male?

Any which way, like Deb said, numbers aren't as important as body structure. Your boy doesn't look overweight to me.
    Be prepared though, the "1,000 gram wall" may be coming, but it's kinda late in the season for a food strike, so maybe he'll hold off til next winter.

That's a great looking snake, by the way!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (03-23-2019)

Thanks

Re: Ball python gaining too much weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickee8 View Post
    Sounds healthy to me my largest male has gained 100 grams a month for the last couple months. He just hit 623 and has never missed a meal but shows no signs of being overweight. My smallest noodle has definitely beefed up quite a bit since I got him. He is also on his way to 100 a month strong eater never missed a meal since I got him.
    Ahh okay thank you so much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    That's a big boy. Are you 100% sure he's actually a male?

Any which way, like Deb said, numbers aren't as important as body structure. Your boy doesn't look overweight to me.
    Be prepared though, the "1,000 gram wall" may be coming, but it's kinda late in the season for a food strike, so maybe he'll hold off til next winter.

That's a great looking snake, by the way!!
    The breeder had sexed him but he didn’t seem too sure at the time, you’re right I shouldn’t jinx his appetite haha. Thank you so much by the way

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorsa For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-23-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsa View Post
    The breeder had sexed him but he didn’t seem too sure at the time, you’re right I shouldn’t jinx his appetite haha. Thank you so much by the way

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he was sexed incorrectly. But it's also quite possible he's just a big boy.
    I tend to grow my snakes a bit slower than many in the hobby. My male BP is about 2 1/2 years old and a bit over 1,100 grams. He's healthy and in great proportion though. He's got the tell tale triangular shape, solid muscle.

But like Deb said, there's a LOT of variables that effect growth rate, so as long as your boy is maintaining a good shape keep doing what you're doing

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-24-2019),Dorsa (03-23-2019)

Thanks

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he was sexed incorrectly. But it's also quite possible he's just a big boy.
    I tend to grow my snakes a bit slower than many in the hobby. My male BP is about 2 1/2 years old and a bit over 1,100 grams. He's healthy and in great proportion though. He's got the tell tale triangular shape, solid muscle.

But like Deb said, there's a LOT of variables that effect growth rate, so as long as your boy is maintaining a good shape keep doing what you're doing
    How often do you feed them once they’re around this weight? I thought maybe I should space it out more to once every 10 days rather than 7 maybe? But he’s always got his head out by the 6th day ready to eat again so I’m so conflicted haha. Sorry I’m a new bp owner just want to make sure I’m not stressing or over feeding him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorsa For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsa View Post
    How often do you feed them once they’re around this weight? I thought maybe I should space it out more to once every 10 days rather than 7 maybe? But he’s always got his head out by the 6th day ready to eat again so I’m so conflicted haha. Sorry I’m a new bp owner just want to make sure I’m not stressing or over feeding him.

At this point I feed every 7-10 days. I kinda let him dictate when I feed him. When I see him poking his head out I feed that night or the next.

If your boy is looking for food around day 6 I would stick to a 7 day schedule as long as his appetite remains the same.

No need to apologize, we were ALL new keepers once. I wish I had this forum as a resource when I started out!!!
    Asking questions shows you care, so ask all you need to. The more we know about our pets the better we can care for them.

Oh....and stick to small rats. No need to upsize to the 10-15% rule of thumb once males are on smalls.
    Not sure if that's something you were thinking about or not, just figured I'd throw it out there.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-23-2019 at 10:15 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (03-23-2019)

Thanks

At this point I feed every 7-10 days. I kinda let him dictate when I feed him. When I see him poking his head out I feed that night or the next.

If your boy is looking for food around day 6 I would stick to a 7 day schedule as long as his appetite remains the same.

No need to apologize, we were ALL new keepers once. I wish I had this forum as a resource when I started out!!!
    Asking questions shows you care, so ask all you need to. The more we know about our pets the better we can care for them.

Oh....and stick to small rats. No need to upsize to the 10-15% rule of thumb once males are on smalls.
    Not sure if that's something you were thinking about or not, just figured I'd throw it out there.
    Thank you so much everything you’ve said has been incredibly helpful, much appreciated and I was going to stick to small rats I had read medium rats are more for breeding purposes for males, thanks again!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorsa For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast