Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

0 members and 2,929 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Naming? The hardest task of all?

So I got a few new additions as of the reptile show in Tampa last month. As their quarantines are nearing their end I still have not named all of them...

Its the hardest thing for me The money and research are easy as pie compared to the name giving. Most of the time my record print outs just have the morph/species and not the name at this point...Oh boy.

Does anyone else here have this issue? LOL.

Also, I am done. Satisfied with my collection I do not think I will be buying any more reptiles for a LONG while.

Any interesting stories about naming would be a nice read!

One of mine:

My moms Ball Python a pastel got the very affectionate name of "Gidget." Because she used to fidget a lot when handled and my mom refused "Fidget." Lol.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 03-23-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Naming has always been kinda easy for me but I have an off sense of humor. Past pet names: a rabbit named Iggy (short for Iguana Rabbit), an Iguana named Rabbit, A Fat tailed gecko named Boots, A ball python named Mittens, a male guinea pig named sparkles and a female named Sammy. I'm planning to get a Banana morph BP next week and name it Peanut Butter. Trying to talk my wife into naming the Normal BP she wants Fluff... Good thing I don't name things buy their personalities or my kids would be named Whines A Lot and Always Argues....
    Last edited by gunkle; 03-23-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-23-2019),Godisgrace (04-07-2019),VereMyth (03-28-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have nieces and nephews that help me pick names. I do a few that come to me. I can tell you who named what animals in my collection. I can tell you all the names of my breeder rats as well as all the snakes, lol.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Naming? The hardest task of all?

I use a mix of things...book characters, mythology, cartoons, tv/movie characters, etc. It’s not always easy. Sometimes something pops out at me, but not always. One of my bps, my pied, is named Piper. My BEL is named Button, because I kept sayimg he was cute as a button and it stuck. lol I’m still trying to figure out a name for my new carpet python. He reminds me a lot of one I had years ago named Byron, but I try not to reuse names....although three in my collection do have names I have used for pets previously, Button, Loki, and Sabrina.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-29-2019)

Thanks
    I'm having a tough time with this right now as well. My BP has not been sexed, so that isn't helping either. Don't worry, the names will come eventually!
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanks, for the replies! Lol went to the vet today to get my BTS and Imperator(Columbian Red Tail) Boa and I was like...Yeah, just use the species for now no names...Its the hardest part of all however I think I have decided on the Boa's name with how she anchors her tail and curls it I think lily might do it. Was going to use Lotus. But I don't like the phonetic that it has Lotus being a water lily is now simplified to simply...Lily. My BTS is bordering on Gaia because of the brown earth like bands around her. So far this is the farthest I have gone outside of my Latin naming scheme lol.

Thanks

3 months of constant search for the right name. My rescue was named "Bella" or "Bellatrix" after Harry Potter or if referenced as "Bella" think Twilight.

I am Greek, so I went through the Pantheon, but decided on Senua as she was a rescue and the female game character was inspiring

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-28-2019),EL-Ziggy (03-29-2019),VereMyth (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    my 2 newest crested geckos are still nameless a few months later. other than that, i think we're all caught up on names. oh wait, my baby special needs bearded dragon....still no name.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Naming is hard... we have a few that have names that are silly or random. First snake, our corn snake, is Noodle.

Our crestie escaped his tub enclosure at 3 grams and we spent most of an evening hunting for him. Wound up finding him under the toaster oven, but since we didn't like that as a name we named him Flash after the flash lights were were using to hunt in the dark.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I tried to come up with some creative names for my banana BP, and the family vetoed them all. The last attempt was Freckles after the other more sophisticated names were rejected and my daughter said, "That's a dumb name for a snake." So I went with Spot. It's the name of Data's cat in Star Trek and it's also the most simple name ever. And *then* the kids said that Spot was too simple and I said too bad. Somehow it does fit him though.

Noodle -- she was a tiny baby pink albino ratsnake and it's not the most creative name but it fit her and still does. It's a very cute disarming name and I think it has helped to convert some of my friends to like snakes. If I'd given her a name like Killer I doubt that would be the case at all.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast