Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,975

0 members and 1,975 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I’m sorry but I don’t use tap water for any of my animals or drink it myself. If $5 for a pack of waters that lasts forever is to much then I shouldn’t be keeping animals. They put all kinds of stuff in tap water, I’ve tesed the water thousands of times as I worked for a custom fish store, and I’ve seen some crazy levels that made me not want to drink it. So my animals and I drink bottle water. I have those big hot/cold 5 gallon water dispensing machine. So it’s really convenient.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-24-2019)

Thanks
    Depends on the water quality in your area, but I think if it isn't unsafe for humans it's probably fine for reptiles. It's amphibians that definitely need treated water because their skin is permeable.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-23-2019),MarkL1561 (03-23-2019)

Thanks

Re: Treating water (reptisafe)

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I’m sorry but I don’t use tap water for any of my animals or drink it myself. If $5 for a pack of waters that lasts forever is to much then I shouldn’t be keeping animals. They put all kinds of stuff in tap water, I’ve tesed the water thousands of times as I worked for a custom fish store, and I’ve seen some crazy levels that made me not want to drink it. So my animals and I drink bottle water. I have those big hot/cold 5 gallon water dispensing machine. So it’s really convenient.
    No need to be sorry. That's what you do, that's cool. I have always used straight tap water for all of my animals (mostly tortoises, snakes, lizards etc.), and I still have several animals that I acquired when I first got into keeping reptiles so they have been in my care for going on 15 years now. So far, no problems, and I don't expect there will be problems, but our tap water here is supposedly alright (I've never tested it). Other areas are known for having not so good water, and it sounds like that's your neck of the woods.

Thanks

I run all my water for my BP through my Brita and then I add a few drops of reptisafe chems. Too much chlorine in my water, even in a small town. Figure few drops costs me so little overall, but I am afraid of just providing my city water without charcoal filtration or reptisafe added in!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-24-2019)

Thanks

All I know is I wish I had the vision many years ago to start bottling water and people would buy it from me. Greatest legal scam ever invented. But hey if it makes people feel better thinking they are getting healthier water at the same time they are chewing on a Big Mac and searching Google deciding what vape machine to buy next. Priceless.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    All I know is I wish I had the vision many years ago to start bottling water and people would buy it from me. Greatest legal scam ever invented. But hey if it makes people feel better thinking they are getting healthier water at the same time they are chewing on a Big Mac and searching Google deciding what vape machine to buy next. Priceless.
    I partly agree with you...there are plenty of scams with bottled water. So-called "spring water" has often come directly from a tap, so not only are you paying more, but
    you're creating more pollution (plastic bottles), most of which aren't recycled... In case no one's noticed, our planet is getting more crowded...we need to address all this.

I've been using tap water for my snakes, but I've considered treating with Reptisafe, because while my tap water is considered safe* to drink, that doesn't mean that
    it's equally safe for our much smaller pet reptiles, whose bodies may be less equipped to handle chlorine & other chemicals added. *For that matter, not all are in agree-
    ment that it's good for us either (especially when you factor in fluoride & other things). My tap water (both here & in previous locations (other state) carries footnotes
    that suggest those with compromised immune systems should perhaps not drink it or check with their doctors, so it's not as if our water is "perfect", it's only that it's con-
    sidered safe for the average healthy humans. I think this is a helpful discussion, and the smaller a snake is, the more we might want to think twice about serving tap.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info! I guess I will scrape together my pennies and start buying water...jk
    money was never the issue, just asked out of curiosity.

Thanks
    I fill a pitcher with water and let it sit for 24 hours before offering to critters in my care. This allows the chlorin to evaperate (off-gassing).

Thanks
    I use filtered water from my tap to fill water bowls, but I do buy distilled water for my fogger to help prevent mineral buildup. I am in agreeance that if it is safe for me to drink it is safe for my pets!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12