Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

1 members and 3,024 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question Can I Be a Breeder?

Ok so currently I am a college freshman and I am trying to plan for my future. I'm going into business management and marketing and I just can't shake the idea of wanted to own a snake breeding business. I doubt it would serve as my main source of income but it is a dream career of mine for sure. I am just curious if it is feasible.

Info:
    Funds
    -I know it takes an initial investment of thousands of dollars and years of work until you can even get a paycheck from this but I am willing to put the work in.
    -I am getting a full ride to a 4 year university and I will be living with my parents until I graduate so all money I earn by working three jobs now will be saved up for future living and business investments.
    Knowledge
    -I've been doing research for a few years on snake owning and breeding I am just missing the business part of it all.

My Questions:
    -Would it be wise to purchase a handful of females in a year or two so they're ready to breed by the time I graduate?
    -Because I am so young would it be wise to start building my business now or should I wait until I am graduated?
    -Will my degree serve to be helpful in any way in getting my name out there, understanding the market, and/or making sure this business grows?
    -Any other advice for making a big decision like this would be appreciated.

Obviously there isn't one answer to these questions, I am just looking for some advice since I am so young but I am definitely determined and have been doing research for quite some time. If I do take any large steps to building up a business it would be a year from now or two at the very earliest.

Thanks so much for reading!!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you be a breeder? Yes

Now there are different level of success from the person having a collection that pay for itself to the person making an extra income to the person making a living.

In all 3 cases it takes passion, knowledge of the genetics, work, knowledge of the market, marketing skills, customer service skills, capital investment, business plan, a vision.

So it can be done but a lot of people do fail most because they do not have a plan, they don't have a vision, they have no knowledge of the market, they buy the cheapest snakes they can put their hands and hope they will break even and or even make money.l

If I were you I would finish with college before worrying about breeding snakes or even raising animals in hope of breeding, college and work will leave you very free time and the little free time you have you should try to enjoy yourself, if you don't you could get burned out before you even get started.

Will your degree help? To some extent it will many "breeders" out there thinks all they have to do is put 2 snakes together however the business and marketing part is also very important and some people are often seriously lack those basic skills.

Here are some good insights.

http://ozzyboids.com/?p=874

http://ozzyboids.com/?p=885
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BurntFrosting (03-21-2019),Cloudynight1017 (03-22-2019),Godzilla78 (04-12-2019),JRLongton (03-22-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Can I Be a Breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by BurntFrosting View Post
    I'm going into business management and marketing...-Will my degree serve to be helpful in any way in getting my name out there, understanding the market, and/or making sure this business grows?...I am definitely determined and have been doing research for quite some time.
    Sure.
    Do keep in mind that a business is about making a profit.

I recommend:
    Performing a comprehensive Cost Analysis for Snake Breeding (with inflation added-in).
    Perform a Market Trend Analysis for the price of snakes/morphs over time (in the region you are planning to sell).
    Perform a Risk Analysis vs. your financial position long-term (assess the impact to your overall life).
    Study your data and logistical requirements.
    Study and know everything about your competition.

Be advised: Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    The best advice I ever read with regards to starting a breeding program was written on the old Major League Reptiles blog before it was sold to a new owner (I don't think the blog post is still there).

His advice was to start small, invest in a couple quality females to grow up and then pick a very nice multi-gene male that would complement the females a year later. That way, your initial investment isn't insane and your animal care workload won't be insane either while you start off. This will allow you to try out breeding with a smaller number of animals and then re-invest any funds you get from selling the offspring into growing your program.

I think all of the advice above is sound. Your degree may help you with technical analysis and reports, knowing how to do the accounting and tax sides of things, but you will also need practical hands-on experience with animals. You may start keeping and find that you don't really enjoy the cleaning work load, etc. and may find it is not for you.

I would agree that waiting until you are out of school and have a stable living/work situation going would be best. Consider that it can be hard to move with animals and finding a place to rent that allows animals (when you get out of school) may be difficult.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Can I Be a Breeder?