Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

4 members and 3,120 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

KSB- How long after shed to feed

My little guy is a yearling that's just completed his first shed in my care this very morning. He missed his usual feed date because of the shed cycle (offered, but he refused), so I offered a brained f/t pinkie this morning and he wouldn't eat it. Tried in and out of his cage, since I had trouble getting him to strike in his plastic tub last time.

I'm wondering if he's just still tired from the shed or if I should be worried? How long do you generally wait after shed to feed your ksb? Are there signs that you look for that they're hungry, or do your snakes eat on a schedule? I don't want to keep wasting mice but I don't want to risk him starving either.

Just in case you need the info, my cage is a 20 gallon exo-terra style, hotspot is heated both undertank and heat lamp to a thermostat monitored 93° to account for fluctuation, and cold side is 82-83°. Cage has a screen top so he has conditioned water in a shallow bowl at all times.

I'm a first time snake owner so I'm very concerned, as in "losing sleep and actually struggling not to have panic attacks over it," kind of concerned. As such, any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by rosered96; 03-21-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When do I offer, I offer on schedule shed or not and mine never turn down food, they are voracious little things with a strong feeding response.

Question for you before I comment further, has it ate f/t for you before and how many times?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: KSB- How long after shed to feed

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    When do I offer, I offer on schedule shed or not and mine never turn down food, they are voracious little things with a strong feeding response.

Question for you before I comment further, has it ate f/t for you before and how many times?

He has eaten a f/t pinkie once for me before, but I've only had him a couple weeks. His previous owner says that he's been eating them for quite some time and that he usually doesn't eat during shed.

Thanks

I should add that he was last fed on Tuesday March 11th.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    First and foremost, you should be feeding in him in his enclosure, not in a separate container. Through my personal experience, I usually wait two days. I found offering the day of shed or one after sometimes leads to refusals. So I’ve gone to a two day wait approach. Your high end temp seems a degree or two on the high side. I prefer closer to 88 to 90 for my high end. Good luck, hope this helps.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

rosered96 (03-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    First and foremost, you should be feeding in him in his enclosure, not in a separate container. Through my personal experience, I usually wait two days. I found offering the day of shed or one after sometimes leads to refusals. So I’ve gone to a two day wait approach. Your high end temp seems a degree or two on the high side. I prefer closer to 88 to 90 for my high end. Good luck, hope this helps.
    I was afraid of him swallowing substrate and becoming impacted. He's on plain aspen but I've read lots of posts saying it's still safer to feed them in a substrate-free environment. Also the tutorials and things I've read have said that 90-95 is suitable but I'll keep that in mind. I'm thinking I'll try again Saturday based on what his previous owner said and your advice.

That being said if anyone else has more tips I'm still very much open to them!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rosered96 View Post
    I was afraid of him swallowing substrate and becoming impacted. He's on plain aspen but I've read lots of posts saying it's still safer to feed them in a substrate-free environment. Also the tutorials and things I've read have said that 90-95 is suitable but I'll keep that in mind. I'm thinking I'll try again Saturday based on what his previous owner said and your advice.

They do just fine eating in their own habitat, in the wild they do just fine. I’m much more concerned now with the 90 to 95, just so you know it’s way easier to overheat then you realize. On here most say 92 degrees tops. Me personally , and I know I’m not the only one prefer 88 to 90. Especially little ones, much easier to overheat. Plus the 88/90 is better for yearlings anyway. Peace
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rosered96 View Post

I have been feeding a variety of snakes on aspen from BP to Hognose to KSB without any issue if that put you at ease and not just one or two.

One other thing I would do is downsize the enclosure 20 gallons even for an adult male is BIG but for a yearling 5 gallons, 6 quarts tubs, or V18 tubs would be a lot better.

Temperature wise 95 would be pushing it, 92 at the most would be a lot better with temps in the low 80's on the cool side.

If after that it still does not work try switching from Aspen to coco husk type bedding (needs to be dry of course)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-21-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-21-2019)

Thanks

I should mention that it's a 20 gallon cube, not standard or long. I'll try lowering the temp and when I offer him the mouse on Saturday I'll try it in his enclosure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

How often do you offer food to your male KSBs? I've seen differing opinions on the subject. When you do, what's your exact technique?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast