Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

1 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Safe spray paint for blacking out side of enclosure?

Just got my ball python an upgraded tank, but before I put her in it I want to black out the sides so she can feel more secure. I used paper and hot glue last time, but want something a little cleaner looking for this larger enclosure. And before anyone asks, this will be going outside the enclosure. Not inside.

So I'm just curious if anyone knows any good, safe brands of black spray paint to use? Any that might have been used before successfully? Even brands that would be good to avoid entirely. I'd also be interested if someone knows another technique that might work and still give a clean look that paper and hot glue just can't provide.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Since you're using a glass tank, why not put up some nice scenery around the sides & back, then insulate with the material of your choice? (insulate using foam-
    board, cork tiles/cork roll, etc etc.) Privacy can be more practical & attractive than just blacking it out. I'm so not a fan of spray paint, & IF you use it, be sure
    to get no-VOC type paint...all odors must be gone around snakes, most paint & stains take time to cure & give off toxic fumes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-20-2019 at 07:09 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I did this to one tank - much nicer than paper! Check the label on the spray can. Go SLOW! Make several very light passes. Otherwise, you will get drips. I put masking tape over the plastic trim. Good results on glass - common among aquarium keepers.

My next custom foam enclosures will also be spray painted black.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Safe spray paint for blacking out side of enclosure?

Honestly for blacking out things, I prefer just simple black acrylic paint on the outside. It dries quickly, goes on easy without mess, and the brush strokes only tend to be visible outside, the inside always comes out smooth. I've painted designs on the back of small aquariums before and on the outside it certainly won't hurt anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-20-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Safe spray paint for blacking out side of enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Since you're using a glass tank, why not put up some nice scenery around the sides & back, then insulate with the material of your choice? (insulate using foam-
    board, cork tiles/cork roll, etc etc.) Privacy can be more practical & attractive than just blacking it out. I'm so not a fan of spray paint, & IF you use it, be sure
    to get no-VOC type paint...all odors must be gone around snakes, most paint & stains take time to cure & give off toxic fumes.
    I've generally heard 72 hours for off gassing. A basic paint on the outside should be fine by then. Looking in from the outside, ...so many snakes look gorgeous against a dramatic black background. As for the outside - cork can look nice, I just drape hand stitched quilts, indigo shibori, and pretty weavings over mine.