Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,542

5 members and 1,537 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Handling. How often.

How often do you handle your BPs?
    Everyday? 3-4 days a week?

Also when you get them out how long do you have them out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    This is gonna vary a lot, & it should, because each snake is different, the time they've been kept in present home is different and how they respond to handling
    is gonna be different, as is the skills & empathy of "the handler". I say this because I have the feeling you're looking for "the one right answer" & IMO, there
    really isn't one.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-21-2019),distaff (03-20-2019),FollowTheSun (03-20-2019),JRLongton (03-20-2019),Jus1More (03-27-2019),mandymg86 (03-20-2019),Rufus73 (03-20-2019),Shayne (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    My ratsnake that I've had since she was very tiny-- I handle daily. Sometimes just a quick pick up and say hello and put back. Other days I let her crawl through my bathrobe, which she loves. She never freaks out or gets defensive when I open her hide and pick her up because she totally trusts me. I've had her out for 45 minutes before, but most of that time she's doing what she wants-- crawling in and out of my robe, in and out of the sleeves, or just hiding in the pocket.

My BP- I do a daily check, but sometimes that just means opening the hide and saying hello without touching. If he's in a "chill" mood he will happily sit in my lap for an hour watching a movie with me (I keep him covered with a blanket to feel secure). Sometimes he's in a curious mood and I let him explore the bed and go in and out of the comforter (I make "caves" for him). But sometimes he's just not in a mood to be out of the enclosure and if it's clear he's not having fun or relaxed I put him back.

Exceptions for both snakes: 24 hours after ratsnake eats and 48 hours after BP eats I leave them totally alone except for a daily visual wellness check. If they are in shed I leave them alone except for a visual check.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-20-2019)

Thanks

Re: Handling. How often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This is gonna vary a lot, & it should, because each snake is different, the time they've been kept in present home is different and how they respond to handling
    is gonna be different, as is the skills & empathy of "the handler". I say this because I have the feeling you're looking for "the one right answer" & IMO, there
    really isn't one.
    Not really looking for a right answer. I just tend to go off body temp. If he feels cool I plonk him back in the viv.
    Just wondering how long is too long to have them out for.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    This varies with each of my snakes (all different species), but since you're asking about BPs I'll limit my answer to my BP.

My BP is super chill, so he tends to be out longer than my others, but not more often. He comes out 3-4 times per week, obviously avoiding shed time and digestion time. On average he's probably out 20-30 minutes, but sometimes shorter. Since he's so chill, he's ok out a bit longer. But I cut handling sessions short if he seems to be "just not feeling it".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    Not really looking for a right answer. I just tend to go off body temp. If he feels cool I plonk him back in the viv.
    Just wondering how long is too long to have them out for.

Our body temperature is 98.6*, whereas a ball python will be mostly in the 80* range, so they will ALWAYS feel cool to us. If your snake is relaxed there is no reason
    they cannot be out for a while. If we're holding them, they'll get enough warmth from us, unless the room is very cold...then you want to make sure & keep them close.

When I kept a large BCI, she was occasionally out with me for about 3 hours, watching movies & snuggling around me for warmth...but I also put a blanket over her to
    keep in warmth, & besides me for heat, I used my (human type) heating pad, as she was 7.5' long- there was a lot to keep warm & it wasn't summer (my house is set
    to 80* in summer, & 70* in winter). I had a very hard time getting her to go back into her cage after such sessions...she liked being out though I don't think she follow-
    ed the plot of the movies very well... In the summertime, the extra warmth wasn't needed, of course. I also carried her outside (on shoulders) for sun now & then.

When I had BPs, I lived in the desert...my house was always warm so it wasn't a concern.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MuicyJelon (03-20-2019)

Thanks
    I handle my BP 1-3 times a week. If my life is busy at the time I'll only handle when cleaning. If my life is going slow and I have nothing to do I might handle more often. I usually keep the snake out for no longer than 15 minutes, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to go longer.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    We typically feed on Saturdays, so usually Wednesday-Friday I try to handle each snake each day. Pax is very chill and she hangs out with me probably the most. Orion gets a bit nervous, so his handling sessions are shorter, BUT he is definitely getting more comfortable. If either look like they're in "hunt mode" I leave them be. I don't really need my hand to be mistaken for a meal.
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mandymg86 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2019)

Thanks

The only time my bp is not handled is the 2 days after a meal and very limited while in shed. There are times he could probably sit in my lap for hours and then there are times when he will sit for a short period of time and then want to re positioned himself or crawl around on the bed a little.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I handle my BP 4 days a week, every day except the day he gets fed, and two days after. Even if I don't take him out I do check on him daily just to make sure everything's okay.

I take him out anywhere from 5-30 mins at a time, sometimes 2-3 times a day. If he doesn't climb into my sleeve, like FollowtheSun, I will make a "cave" for him with a blanket since he seems nervous when out in the open and will search around for a dark space. As long as he has a warm, enclosed space to chill he is a lovely lap snake and will sit with me and poke his head out of his blanket cave as I watch YouTube videos or surf the web.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast