Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

0 members and 2,835 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Talk to me about rosy boas

My new rosy boa should be on his way in the next couple of days. I think I have everything dialed in, but wanted to make sure. He is a baby so I am setting him up in a shoebox tub. Aspen bedding. UTH on a thermostat set to achieve 88-90 on the hot side, seems to be holding cool side close to 80. Two matching hides on the hot and cold end. Humidity holding at about 40%

I do have a couple of questions:
    1. Breeder has him on like pinks, but I would like to feed f/t. Should i try to make the switch at the first feeding, or wait a few weeks?

2. I am going to be setting up an exoterra 24x18x12 for him when he gets bigger. I plan to use a UTH and CHE with it. Any advice on making the setup both visually appealing and comfortable for the snake?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    For best results, I would FIRST offer him a live pink at the first feeding (ALWAYS better to feed what is familiar food) but you could have a f/t thawed one ready
    to feed at the same time...if he takes the live one, wait until it's swallowed & offer the f/t one from tongs w/ a slight wiggle. He'll most likely take it.

Next feeding: you could try just offering the f/t, IF he took one at the first feeding after the live. If not, repeat above until you can switch him completely. Patience.

Aspen will probably work OK. For what it's worth, I always use Carefresh for rosy boas, they like to burrow in it and it's hygroscopic. Carefresh now is compressed,
    (years back it wasn't) so you manually have to work it some by hand, & I add in some paper shreds (my clean papers shredded) to lighten it up some (& recycle).
    When I've raised rosy boas on Carefresh, they actually burrowed tunnels into it (like an "ant farm" ) because it holds together enough...they like that, they feel
    very secure, though like I said, aspen will probably work ok.

As far as cage furnishings, they aren't like rat snakes about climbing, but they will appreciate lower things (like driftwood**) to climb over & hide near, & tunnels*.
    *While they're small, you can even use the cardboard rolls from paper towels, & partly bury them in substrate. **Just make sure nothing has a small hole in that
    they can just barely fit thru...as they grow (or even with a meal) they can get stuck & because of directional scales, may not be able to back out. I recommend
    plugging such holes (if any) no matter what kind of snakes you have. (you can glue a small cork in the hole...the color comes close to driftwood)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice! I have some carefresh on hand so I may try that.

Thanks
    Almost forgot, if he hesitates over the f/t pink, use your feeding tongs to squish/damage the nose slightly...that releases more scent & can make the difference
    between a sniff & refusal or a sniff & pounce.

I've raised 53 neonate rosy boas...this was how I got them feeding on f/t. They're plenty big enough to eat two pinkies, and this way they learn f/t is food too.
    Some catch on faster than others. They're also similar to ball pythons, as far as being "ambush-predators"- if you see them peeking out (of hide or substrate) &
    if it's time for a meal, that's what they're thinking & it's a good time to offer, preferably in evening.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

reptilemom25 (03-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks. I will keep this in mind. I am picking him up from fedex as soon as I get off today! I will give him a week to settle in and then we will see how he does!
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 03-21-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks
    got loose from work for a minute to go pick him up! he looks great! Pics to come.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How are they like temperament wise? Who did you buy your rosy boa from?

Thanks
    I ordered him from reptile rapture. They are supposed to be very docile, and he was when I took him out to check on him.

Thanks
    Rosy boas are typically docile snakes, and they stay a really nice size (about 40" max for females, & roughly 6" less for males). They do typically go off feed a little
    in winter (unlike my colubrids), & being primarily desert-type snakes, do not need additional humidity. Whatever humidity you have where you are, they're fine with.
    I do not brumate my snakes in winter...nor do I obsess about their weight when they skip some meals. They'll put it back on in spring. And if you ever breed them,
    these are live-born, by the way. Very cool to watch being born...