Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

2 members and 2,833 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    He refused a rat pup

Thanks
    Isn't it frustrating as hell when they refuse to eat!

I have a BP that's been off feed for two months now. Wish he'd chill and go back to being a good little snake....

Good luck with yours eating. How long you think Sangre is?
    \m/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2019),sur3fir3 (05-02-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Id say he is around 2.5 Feet

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New blood python progression thread

and yes, it is frustrating. I've nvr had a snake that has such a poor feeding response. Sangre does eat, but he never actively seeks out food when I have it out. he just sits there and smells it. I've never seen him strike at a prey item. I'm thinking of trying a live item soon, the last time I tried to feed live he was starting to go into shed. So I think I need to give him another chance. I know its going to take a while for me to figure him out. He really is a great snake. His temperment is great. The only time I've seen him strike was when the pet store owner was trying to sex him. Other than that I havent seen any agreesion from him what so ever. He is almost too chill. He doesnt even hiss when I goto to take him out of his cage. He does puff up though

Only having had corns and king snakes previously I am not used to the temperment, and feeding response I get from Sangre. He has to be one of the most calm Blood Pythons there is. When I dealt with Corns and kings I never had an issue when it came to feeding. So this feeding reponse I am getting from him is not something I am used to. I know I dont have anything to worry about until he refuses for a few months, but it is worrysome when your snake won't eat. Everytime he doesn't eat I go thorugh a string of things in my head that could have caused this failure. Then I analyze and change my habits if needed.

The more i read on snakes, and update my knowledge I just realize how much I forgot in those 20 years. That aside this forum has been a lifesaver when it comes to learning about snakes. I have learned more here, than just about any other site. Not to mention that most of the sites are dead now.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First one is today 2nd one is about a month ago

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

239 grams.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks

He’s a stunner! Looking real good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    and yes, it is frustrating. I've nvr had a snake that has such a poor feeding response. Sangre does eat, but he never actively seeks out food when I have it out. he just sits there and smells it. I've never seen him strike at a prey item. I'm thinking of trying a live item soon, the last time I tried to feed live he was starting to go into shed. So I think I need to give him another chance. I know its going to take a while for me to figure him out. He really is a great snake. His temperment is great. The only time I've seen him strike was when the pet store owner was trying to sex him. Other than that I havent seen any agreesion from him what so ever. He is almost too chill. He doesnt even hiss when I goto to take him out of his cage. He does puff up though

Only having had corns and king snakes previously I am not used to the temperment, and feeding response I get from Sangre. He has to be one of the most calm Blood Pythons there is. When I dealt with Corns and kings I never had an issue when it came to feeding. So this feeding reponse I am getting from him is not something I am used to. I know I dont have anything to worry about until he refuses for a few months, but it is worrysome when your snake won't eat. Everytime he doesn't eat I go thorugh a string of things in my head that could have caused this failure. Then I analyze and change my habits if needed.

The more i read on snakes, and update my knowledge I just realize how much I forgot in those 20 years. That aside this forum has been a lifesaver when it comes to learning about snakes. I have learned more here, than just about any other site. Not to mention that most of the sites are dead now.
    My advice is general, as I've never kept a blood, but have you considered having his stool checked? Sometimes snakes that are unusually passive are that way because
    they aren't feeling well for some reason...stool is an easy place to start. And sometimes giving an oral de-worming med. will also stimulate their appetite...just saying.

(Sad to see so many other sites disappear, isn't it?)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    My advice is general, as I've never kept a blood, but have you considered having his stool checked? Sometimes snakes that are unusually passive are that way because
    they aren't feeling well for some reason...stool is an easy place to start. And sometimes giving an oral de-worming med. will also stimulate their appetite...just saying.

(Sad to see so many other sites disappear, isn't it?)
    From my research on bloods through some other groups & breeders of them, it is actually very common for bloods to only take drop feeding and refuse to strike or tong feed. Despite the reputation for being aggressive or mean, they're even shyer than ball pythons and just you being within smelling range is enough to put some off of eating or striking, especially juveniles (and a juvenile that gets used to drop feeding tends fo continue preferring that as an adult)

The mellow bloods that don't bite at people seem to be the least likely to strike feed and prefer to just approach a dead rat or mouse and start eating.

If I had to guess, their large size relative to not especially frequent meals as an adult in the wild hard coded them more genetically to expend as little effort as possible to eat; it seems like once they realize prey is dead and will eventually show up, they'd rather just wait and eat when it arrives already dead.

I'm not an expert, having only 1 juvenile blood, but if there is no weight loss and the snake is eating, even if not by striking at prey, it seems pretty unlikely that there would be a problem. My guy is 50/50 on striking prey and won't do it at all if the prey isn't warm (warmer than the BPs want it even), but will eat it fairly quickly on days he won't strike if I leave it near the hide and walk away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 05-09-2019 at 09:24 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    From my research on bloods through some other groups & breeders of them, it is actually very common for bloods to only take drop feeding and refuse to strike or tong feed. Despite the reputation for being aggressive or mean, they're even shyer than ball pythons and just you being within smelling range is enough to put some off of eating or striking, especially juveniles (and a juvenile that gets used to drop feeding tends fo continue preferring that as an adult)

The mellow bloods that don't bite at people seem to be the least likely to strike feed and prefer to just approach a dead rat or mouse and start eating.

If I had to guess, their large size relative to not especially frequent meals as an adult in the wild hard coded them more genetically to expend as little effort as possible to eat; it seems like once they realize prey is dead and will eventually show up, they'd rather just wait and eat when it arrives already dead.

I'm not an expert, having only 1 juvenile blood, but if there is no weight loss and the snake is eating, even if not by striking at prey, it seems pretty unlikely that there would be a problem. My guy is 50/50 on striking prey and won't do it at all if the prey isn't warm (warmer than the BPs want it even), but will eat it fairly quickly on days he won't strike if I leave it near the hide and walk away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^ My experience exactly. Good to know that I'm not the only one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2019)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast