Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Boa IBD questions

So, years ago, I had a guyana bcc, she was wild caught at a very young age and I had her for many years before my life situation changed and I had to give her up to a good friend. Back in those days, IBD wasn't well known and most people weren't too worried about it, and thankfully she didn't have it. However, I am now in a situation where I am considering getting another bcc, and now that I have ball pythons, the prospect of getting a snake that has IBD concerns me a bit more.

My main questions are... exactly how common is IBD and how does one avoid getting it into their collection? I know it can have a rather long incubation period in boas, so exactly how long should I quarantine a boa if I get one? 3 months? 6 months? A year? I miss having a boa, but am starting to wonder if it's worth the risk considering how common this disease seems to have come.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    IBD is extremely uncommon and usually misdiagnosed; it's only within the last few years that a test has been developed to definitively diagnose it in live critters. Many snakes will have neuro issues and/or death throes as they pass away. Also there are plenty of other viral diseases that can clobber collections.

Older critters that have passed through a lot of different collections are more likely to be carriers, as they've had more opportunities to be exposed. So, to minimize risk I would purchase a neonate boa directly from a reputable breeder who produced the animal, who does not vend at expos, and who does not purchase snakes from other collections to resell.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-19-2019),Alter-Echo (03-19-2019),Bogertophis (03-19-2019),Saml8 (04-10-2019)

Thanks

Re: Boa IBD questions

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    IBD is extremely uncommon and usually misdiagnosed; it's only within the last few years that a test has been developed to definitively diagnose it in live critters. Many snakes will have neuro issues and/or death throes as they pass away. Also there are plenty of other viral diseases that can clobber collections.

Older critters that have passed through a lot of different collections are more likely to be carriers, as they've had more opportunities to be exposed. So, to minimize risk I would purchase a neonate boa directly from a reputable breeder who produced the animal, who does not vend at expos, and who does not purchase snakes from other collections to resell.
    Ah, I see, I actually am asking because I plan on going to an expo where several boa breeders regularly attend. So if I were to get one at this expo, I should probably go with a very young snake I'd imagine and one that was produced by the breeder in question?

Also, what would you recommend as a reasonable quarantine time for such a snake?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Also, what would you recommend as a reasonable quarantine time for such a snake?
    I would do at least 90 days but six months is not unheard of.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-19-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is rare a lot of people often jump the gun and see IBD everywhere when something is off.

If I was to get a Boa I would do 90 days + Blood test to clear any possibly and have the peace of mind.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It is rare a lot of people often jump the gun and see IBD everywhere when something is off.

If I was to get a Boa I would do 90 days + Blood test to clear any possibly and have the peace of mind.
    Can you tell us what test specifically to ask a vet to do for the blood test? Or is "IBD blood test" sufficient for a vet to know what you want done (assuming this is a vet that works with snakes, anyway)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Can you tell us what test specifically to ask a vet to do for the blood test? Or is "IBD blood test" sufficient for a vet to know what you want done (assuming this is a vet that works with snakes, anyway)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RNA test for IBD test only requires a blood sample to be sent to a lab, I would first check if the vet can get in touch with Dr. Elliott Jacobson of the University of Florida to see about procedure and see if the sample has to be sent to the Lab at the university of Florida or if any Lab such as Vetdna can perform the test. You can also contact Vetdna if you have question regarding the test they perform http://www.vetdna.com/feedback (I use them for Crypto test)
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-20-2019),pretends2bnormal (03-19-2019)

Thanks
    Ok, so just an update to this, I did end up getting an amazing.... nearly fushia colored (!!!) Guyana bcc at the reptile show yesterday. Temperament is great and the price was too good to pass up. The only downside is that it is a "farmed" individual, and while it has been treated for external parasites, it hasn't ever been treated for internal parasites, so I may get a fecal done just in case. She is said to be a good eater and looks healthy and alert, so I decided to take a chance given I've never seen one this color before.

Needless to say, I will be quarantining her for at least 6 months.

Will post a thread for her when I can get a good pic.
    Last edited by Alter-Echo; 04-07-2019 at 10:13 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2019)

Thanks
    Nice pick-up. I would definitely get a farmed critter checked for internal parasites now and again just before it comes out of QT.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-07-2019),Bogertophis (04-07-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Very nice,it's hard to show that pink/lilac off a Guyana, I got one 5months ago there stunning.
    Can't wait to see pics

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-07-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast