Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

0 members and 2,956 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Lizards that are easy to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Thanks for all the input! I find it very useful to ask people who actually keep them rather than just looking at fact sheets on the internet. I am leaning towards a skink right now. I like their size and they seem rather chill and cool. I would not get one for quite a while, but I can keep an eye out for deals on larger enclosures, etc. now.

The crested geckos are cute too, but I somehow like the weight of the skink-- kinda like a cat or dog with scales.
    A skink is most likely my next purchase, too! I just think they're so cool and I love that they eat almost anything (and I always have plenty of dog and cat food on hand...)
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-20-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    People are going to snicker, but I had a few little green anoles as a kid, and would love to get a tank of them again. Yeah, I know; they are feeder lizards.
    Not sure if they require more than mealworms, but those at least, are easy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    People are going to snicker, but I had a few little green anoles as a kid, and would love to get a tank of them again. Yeah, I know; they are feeder lizards.
    I agree, they are super cool. Active during the day and chase after insects, fun to watch. so what if they are common or feeders!?
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I’ve never kept them, but have always loved anoles. The are native to NC where my best friend lives. I never get tired of watching them run around on his brick walls or the patio. Cool little critters.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Thanks for all the input! I find it very useful to ask people who actually keep them rather than just looking at fact sheets on the internet. I am leaning towards a skink right now. I like their size and they seem rather chill and cool. I would not get one for quite a while, but I can keep an eye out for deals on larger enclosures, etc. now.

The crested geckos are cute too, but I somehow like the weight of the skink-- kinda like a cat or dog with scales.
    I agree, BTS rock!

Frank, my northern BTS, is awesome.

A few thoughts:

1. I think 5X2' or bigger is better for a BTS. Frank is in a 6X2' and uses every inch.

2. They need UVB, but not super hot basking spots. 95-100F for a hot spot and 90+ hot side work well. They also need an 80-84F cool spot during the day, and I have that drop to 78F at night. They like the night drop, but are diurnal.

3. They are scavengers and happily accept dead food and veggies, fruits, pellets, etc. They are smart, and know what they like. Frank loves canned insects, F/T fuzzy's (cut in 2 pieces or more for him) - pinkies are loved but fatty, mixed veggies and occasional fruit (although know what to avoid for him), ferret pellets, and occasionally, wet dog food or Zoo Med Zoo Menu omnivorous canned food.

4. Food = Variety

5. Get Captive Bred!

6. Know what you have. Different subspecies need different humidity. Frank is a northern BTS, and needs less humidity (30-40%).

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?250951-Frank-The-Blue-Tongue-Skink

I also love my Rhacodactylus. However, I have a Chewie and a Leachie. Both are great, don't take up a lot room, need much heat, and both eat powdered food. Ferry is much more social, but he needs insect supplementation. Leachies are big and can be very good being handled, but are usually cage defensive. There are ways to handle this, much like hook training a food driven snake.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?259007-Ferry-Rhacodactylus-Chahoua-(Chewie)

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nnaise-Leachie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    I have a BTS (meruke), cresteds, gargs, and a leachie. All can live without live food. None of my rhacs will accept live and I've tried several different types of live feeders with them My leachie has easily grown to 400g without any live food and all of my gargs and cresteds are fat and happy without it. I do keep them in a heated reptile room that stays at 75f or warmer with lights for their plants which also bump their terrarium temps a bit.

My BTS is fed once a week and I give him an ice-cube-sized chunk of quality wet dog food and another ice-cube-chunk of prepared veggies and fruits. I prepare the dog food and veggies once every few months and freeze in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags until needed. Food is thawed and supplements added. I house my BTS in a 4'x2' pvc cage and don't have UVB installed, so he gets a cal+D3 supplement along with his multivitamin each feeding. I have had no issues doing it this way (no MBD, etc.). I agree that larger caging sizes would be beneficial. I don't have room for a 6'x2' cage in my reptile room, but would upgrade him given the chance. He also accepts treats like live or dead dubia roaches, blue berries f/t pinkies, boiled and raw eggs, etc.

If you are wanting something smaller, pink tongue skinks are similar in care to BTS except that they are smaller, climb more, and according to a breeder I spoke with, can be tamer than some BTS. I'm actually looking into getting a pair for my empty 3'x3'x18" planted terrarium.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just wanted to add this regarding UVB and BTS since as you see in the earlier posts, you will find a lot of conflicting statements about it. I personally used no UVB for the first 6 months then UVB after for my skink. He had been seen by a vet and confirmed clear of MBD.

My advice to you or anyone else interested about BTS is: It does not hurt to have UVB but use a low powered one like a T8 Reptisun 10.0 instead of a T5 plus Calcium +D3 supplements. I have yet to see an overdose of D3 vs the consequences of MBD in BTS which does exist and not as uncommon as one would think. The owners who had them must have neglected them by not feeding the proper diet/lack of supplements/lack of UVB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12