Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

1 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Behavior change

Thanks

Behavior change

Hello, I'm relatively new to BP keeping, as I got my first snake (a female normal, named Andromeda) four months ago. Her cool side sits at 81-82° and her warm side sits at 91-92°. Her humidity sits at 60-65% on average (sometimes it reaches higher, but rarely lower). One hide on the cool side, one on the warm side, a big water bowl, plenty of clutter and a branch to climb. She eats fantasticly well, sheds in one piece, and seems healthy physically.

For some context, I've noticed that after a feeding, she will hang out in her warm hide until she poops. However, this time when I fed her, she's spent the day in her warm hide, and then is super active at night, slithering around and wanting out. I've scoured her cage just in case I missed something. I cleaned her cage completely a couple days ago. The only difference I've noted is it's beginning to get warmer out (we had a nice warm 70° day for the first time since I got her). Am I just concerned over nothing? Is this normal? I want to be sure that nothing is wrong, I care for her so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    It's possible that her prey was a bit on the small side & she's looking for more...that's typical of snakes & most of us too & doesn't mean she really needs more.
    It's better for a snake to eat a little less rather than a little too much anyway.

It may also mean she's just getting bolder as she's grown some & feels more settled in...and it may mean nothing at all. Don't worry about it...I really don't think
    anything is "wrong". Snakes aren't robots, they sometimes want a little adventure too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-18-2019),Lord Sorril (03-21-2019)

Thanks

Re: Behavior change

Alright. I gave her an adult mouse (she weighted 188g last week). Maybe she's just a glutton XD. I realize they are not all the same. She has such a personality. It was just weird to me that she changed her routine out of the blue. Maybe she just is really comfortable now.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Have you made sure her cage temps. are within safe & proper range also? You mentioned the outside temps. have warmed up...keep in mind that a snake that
    is too hot will also want out of their cage: I assume her cage heat is controlled by thermostat? otherwise if the room is now warmer, her cage may be too hot.
    (I'm just making sure- every now & then someone isn't using a t-stat-)

It mostly sounds to me like she is starting to stay in what we call "feed mode"...still looking for more food, even when full. A bit like us "needing" another cupcake...

Snakes may stay pumped up for more food for a few hours to a day or so after they've eaten...do NOT give in & give more food, even IF the meal was too small.
    Adding more food to their digestive tract after some prey is partly digested will usually result in a regurgitation of both items...you really don't want to 'go there'.
    It's bad for the snake, & super-gross for you to clean up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-18-2019),fadingdaylight (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    Funny, mine pulled this one this morning after eating last night. Knocking over fake plants and everything, it was really amusing actually.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks

Re: Behavior change

I'm using a thermostat and I also use a thermostat controlled space heater, so the room temps stay rather consistent. Trust me, I won't be giving her any extra XD she's already getting chubby. I use a temp gun and check my temps regularly so, there hasn't been any change to her husbandry.