Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

2 members and 2,803 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: next hog?

Thanks

next hog?

so in a few months i want to get another snake, i want another hognose. my debate right now is between a western hognose morph, an eastern hognose, a southern hognose, or a tricolor. im so indecisive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: next hog?

What about a giant hognose? They're awesome but hard to find CB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    What about a giant hognose? They're awesome but hard to find CB
    southerns are hard enough to find CB. only one good breeder in the US as far as i know. theres another project thats starting in florida thats going to be producing some in a few years aswell.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Just make sure that you can feed whatever you get. (they don't all take mice as well as the Westerns, as far as I know)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (03-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just make sure that you can feed whatever you get. (they don't all take mice as well as the Westerns, as far as I know)
    they dont. southerns will though and the one breeder is known to start them really well on f/t mice. sometimes they randomly go on strike and it’s recommended to keep a toad in the freezer to scent with, or you can use sardine/tuna juices but toads work better. easterns im not too sure about same with tricolors but thats cause i havent done too much research on them as this is still a few months out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    they dont. southerns will though and the one breeder is known to start them really well on f/t mice. sometimes they randomly go on strike and it’s recommended to keep a toad in the freezer to scent with, or you can use sardine/tuna juices but toads work better. easterns im not too sure about same with tricolors but thats cause i havent done too much research on them as this is still a few months out

Just wanted to make sure you do your homework first; I've only kept Western hoggies, oh & a black/yellow giant Madagascar hognose, she was amazing & really huge,
    very happy on f/t rodents. Never intended to get one of these, but the local pet store got it, not realizing the venom issue & they didn't feel comfortable selling it as a
    pet to just anyone...they knew I kept hots, so she pretty much had my name on, lol. I can't speak for bites, as she never bit me, and I didn't have her "forever": when
    I moved out of state, I found her another home.

Thanks

Just wanted to make sure you do your homework first; I've only kept Western hoggies, oh & a black/yellow giant Madagascar hognose, she was amazing & really huge,
    very happy on f/t rodents. Never intended to get one of these, but the local pet store got it, not realizing the venom issue & they didn't feel comfortable selling it as a
    pet to just anyone...they knew I kept hots, so she pretty much had my name on, lol. I can't speak for bites, as she never bit me, and I didn't have her "forever": when
    I moved out of state, I found her another home.
    ive been talking to pretty much the only southern breeder in the states and getting all my care info from him as there really isnt much about care for them anywhere! but from what i gather southerns are pretty much the exact same care as westerns except open space doesnt bother them as much and the require higher humidity

Thanks

ive been talking to pretty much the only southern breeder in the states and getting all my care info from him as there really isnt much about care for them anywhere! but from what i gather southerns are pretty much the exact same care as westerns except open space doesnt bother them as much and the require higher humidity

One more thing you should do: make sure that one breeder really has a good reliable 'track record'. Some ppl can talk a really good game & when you want something
    bad enough, it's easy to convince yourself that they're being straight with you; make sure of his reputation from others. Ask around.

Thanks

One more thing you should do: make sure that one breeder really has a good reliable 'track record'. Some ppl can talk a really good game & when you want something
    bad enough, it's easy to convince yourself that they're being straight with you; make sure of his reputation from others. Ask around.
    said breeder has been recommended to me by about 10 different people from different sources, all of which have talked him up highly and have purchased from him. also hes been breeding southerns, easterns, and a few other hognose species since the early 2000s if i remember correctly!

Thanks

said breeder has been recommended to me by about 10 different people from different sources, all of which have talked him up highly and have purchased from him. also hes been breeding southerns, easterns, and a few other hognose species since the early 2000s if i remember correctly!

Exactly what you want in someone you'll buy from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast