Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,647

1 members and 2,646 guests
Lixx,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Were you ever scared?

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    I used to catch garters (and release after a minute or two) ever since I was in middle school so I've been fascinated by snakes for a while but never imagined I would have one as a pet. The first few times that I handled my ball python I was afraid that she would bite me. Over time I got more comfortable and the fear quickly went away. Now it's been over two years and she has never bitten anyone.

I'm more afraid of my dwarf hamster than I am of most snakes!
    Got bit for the first time when feeding him last week which was my fault. The rat wasn’t warm enough an he went right past the rat an got my hand. Was quite scared of getting bit by him but now I know what it feels like.

When I was a kid had about 7 dwarf hamster Roborovski’s. One lived way past the expected lifespan. 5 years, nearly 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019)

Thanks
    Nope... only thing that scares me are other humans... I'm more afraid of a sneaky backstabbing human than I am of snakes, spiders, sharks, or even something like an angry bear. ( yeah, that wasn't fun.)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),MuicyJelon (03-18-2019)

Thanks

I've loved snakes since i was a little kid. My dad has always been terrified of snakes, --hold on my gecko is gunna fall off the table-- but i never let his fear stop me from catching gardner snakes, frogs, and salamanders in Iowa in the summer. I got my first ball python (a normal from petsmart) after turning 18, her name was Spook. not long after adopting her she passed away at 2 or 3 months old due to being born with a hole in her digestive tract. i miss her every day <3. I adopted my second bp while i still had Spook, --"cASS NO"-- from someone on craigslist. he was 4 1/2 years old and 4 feet long, and after taking him to the vet, i discovered he had a horrible respiratory infection. now he still has some breathing problems, but he's gotten a lot better. he's my icky drooly boy but i love him.
    just a few weeks ago i almost lost my thumb to a 12 foot Burmese python named Hannibal, but that was my fault. I volunteer at a reptile rescue and i mixed up him with the other fat python named Alice, theyre both huge albinos in the same room. Even after having an enormous python try to eat my hand, and almost throwing up because of the anxiety, i was more worried about him than myself. i felt bad because i knew i scared him, and thats why he struck at me. i still love snakes and that wont stop me from rescuing as many as i can.
    Last edited by autumncrocus; 03-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autumncrocus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),MuicyJelon (03-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    I used to catch garters (and release after a minute or two) ever since I was in middle school so I've been fascinated by snakes for a while but never imagined I would have one as a pet. The first few times that I handled my ball python I was afraid that she would bite me. Over time I got more comfortable and the fear quickly went away. Now it's been over two years and she has never bitten anyone.

I'm more afraid of my dwarf hamster than I am of most snakes!
    Good reason to be more afraid of a hamster...their bites can be more significant than snake bites (except for hots or giants). I grew up with parakeets too...same thing.

Helps to remember that our snakes are thinking much the same thing..."is it gonna bite me?"

I never got into snakes until well into adulthood...for one thing, I'd had pet rodents of all kinds, along with other animals. I just hadn't met any snakes*, & then I had to
    make peace with their diet. I'm very glad I did. (*at least none besides those in a program given to my elementary school class, & about which I can only remember the
    huge snake that was handled on stage; I suspect the program at least helped keep my mind open, against all the fiction about snakes.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

On the topic of hamsters ..

This my latest critter .... a decent sized Syrian male .. Pied Albino

My eyes were drawn to his colour / pattern and size then I noticed he had pink eyes and I bought him there and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),Dianne (03-17-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Good reason to be more afraid of a hamster...their bites can be more significant than snake bites (except for hots or giants). I grew up with parakeets too...same thing..

I am WAY more afraid of a bite from a full grown Momma rat that doesn't want me touching the food she made for me as opposed to a Snake too. Any snake other than a Hot. And I've been bitten by a large Retic before, haha.

Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019)

Thanks
    Nope, I've never been afraid of snakes. Might have been different if there was venomous around here but since everything is harmless, I grew up handling them every chance I got. I played with all the orb weaver and jumping spiders too, now I own tarantulas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019)

Thanks

Never

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I can't remember that I ever was. I was taught from a young age, growing up in the desert, to watch your step. I once came across a very fat healthy rattler on a hiking trail that was in the process of eating a small rabbit. Even then I was fascinated and observed it from a safe distance.

In junior high I volunteered to help my teacher care for his animal collection and that included two boas, a ball python, and a kingsnake.

I guess whatever instinct was supposed to be there wasn't there! LOL! But it's funny, I show photos of my pets to people at work and some start to shudder even at the mention of snake, and won't look.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2019)

Thanks

I bought my BP in part, to get over my fear of snakes. All the different morphs drew me in. Now, I've got 2, and definitely wanting more.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast