Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

1 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Were you ever scared?

I was scared/extra cautious of them for as long as can remember it’s only in the past few years I’ve gotten more of an understanding of them.

The first time I held a snake was when I was a kid, I was in a store ‘Pets at Home’ it was a baby milk or corn snake and the employee there kept on giving me ‘hints’ on handling them I was too focused on what was being said an dropped it. It was ok.
    What I learned is that they weren’t slimy which was unexpected for me as people always say that they are on tv plus every time I’d see them on tv it wouldn’t be anything positive about them just horror stuff.

I watched a ton of videos about them & read a fair amount about them. An decided to get a BP for my 20th birthday (last year). I’m glad I got one & would happily have another, but I’m gonna wait a few years first.
    He’s not my first reptile I’ve got a beardie who’s 8 years old nearly 9. And did have a Pygmy chameleon which passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MuicyJelon; 03-16-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks

Re: Were you ever scared?

I see most every you are in the US. We don’t really come across snakes when we’re out an about. I go fishing every now and then an once I found a little blue tub which had a load of baby frogs in it. They weren’t able jump out of it as there was a lid on it. I didn’t think it’d be fair to just leave them there so I set them free.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),Dianne (03-16-2019),rottn (03-17-2019),Sonny1318 (03-16-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    I was scared/extra cautious of them for as long as can remember it’s only in the past few years I’ve gotten more of an understanding of them.

The first time I held a snake was when I was a kid, I was in a store ‘Pets at Home’ it was a baby milk or corn snake and the employee there kept on giving me ‘hints’ on handling them I was too focused on what was being said an dropped it. It was ok.
    What I learned is that they weren’t slimy which was unexpected for me as people always say that they are on tv plus every time I’d see them on tv it wouldn’t be anything positive about them just horror stuff.

I watched a ton of videos about them & read a fair amount about them. An decided to get a BP for my 20th birthday (last year). I’m glad I got one & would happily have another, but I’m gonna wait a few years first.
    He’s not my first reptile I’ve got a beardie who’s 8 years old nearly 9. And did have a Pygmy chameleon which passed away.

Also used to have 3 terrapins Curly, Larry & Moe.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),Dianne (03-17-2019)

Thanks
    I’ve said this before but for the sake of who ever wants to hear it again.

my entire life I’ve been terrified of snakes!! Like really terrified of them. I then had a little daughter and it was then I realized that fear is taught to us, and with that so is compassion and understanding.

I’m really into animals and when taking my daughter to different stores and expos I realized she started wanting to hold some snakes. So I told myself, what can a baby snake really do to hurt you? And what will I do by showing my kid that snakes are bad. So I manned up and acted like it didn’t bother me. After she held her first snake she fell in love and so did I.

I have gotten over a lot of things that have been bothering me since that day about 6 years ago. I just remember how terrified I was about snakes and how happy I am because I tried it. I’ve always been adventurous and like to sky dive and rock climb mountains and repealed off 2-400’ cliffs, white water kayak, etc. but this really changed my life.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),CloudtheBoa (03-27-2019),EL-Ziggy (03-25-2019),Luvyna (03-17-2019),richardhind1972 (03-17-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (03-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I’ve said this before but for the sake of who ever wants to hear it again.

my entire life I’ve been terrified of snakes!! Like really terrified of them. I then had a little daughter and it was then I realized that fear is taught to us, and with that so is compassion and understanding.

I’m really into animals and when taking my daughter to different stores and expos I realized she started wanting to hold some snakes. So I told myself, what can a baby snake really do to hurt you? And what will I do by showing my kid that snakes are bad. So I manned up and acted like it didn’t bother me. After she held her first snake she fell in love and so did I.

I have gotten over a lot of things that have been bothering me since that day about 6 years ago. I just remember how terrified I was about snakes and how happy I am because I tried it. I’ve always been adventurous and like to sky dive and rock climb mountains and repealed off 2-400’ cliffs, white water kayak, etc. but this really changed my life.
    This is a really cool story, good for you for getting over your fear of snakes to make your daughter happy! It's a great point about how fear is learned and how a little knowledge and experience can go a long way in remedying that.

It's awesome that you sky dive, rock climb real cliffs, and whitewater kayak by the way :o I'm way too terrified to try any of those things!
    Last edited by Luvyna; 03-17-2019 at 02:03 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),CloudtheBoa (03-27-2019),Danger noodles (03-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    This is a really cool story, good for you for getting over your fear of snakes to make your daughter happy! It's a great point about how fear is learned and how a little knowledge and experience can go a long way in remedying that.

It's awesome that you sky dive, rock climb real cliffs, and whitewater kayak by the way :o I'm way too terrified to try any of those things!
    I was very fortunate to have the parents that made good money and could afford to let me join a high adventure crew in the Boy Scouts. This was a invite only group as it was only for the 1% of people that could afford the trips and gear, plus we trained a lot. I also have my name engraved on the granite wall in Houston for being an Eagle Scout.

i had parents that didn’t let their fears hold me back and I wanted to grant that to my daughter as well. Just didn’t know it would teach me as much as her! I thank god for all that has happened to me! The good and the bad, for that’s how u learn.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (03-17-2019),richardhind1972 (03-17-2019)

Thanks
    I used to catch garters (and release after a minute or two) ever since I was in middle school so I've been fascinated by snakes for a while but never imagined I would have one as a pet. The first few times that I handled my ball python I was afraid that she would bite me. Over time I got more comfortable and the fear quickly went away. Now it's been over two years and she has never bitten anyone.

I'm more afraid of my dwarf hamster than I am of most snakes!
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),MissterDog (03-17-2019),MuicyJelon (03-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have never held fear in my heart for any reptile on their turf. I am a blessed man in my parents supported my budding passion for snakes and lizards by taking me to every possible DNR program on the native reptiles to my home area. My mom always tells this story:

When I was 7 years old or so, my Grandmother (who is deathly afraid of ANY snake) opted to move into a newly build housing division in the town we lived in. This division was created by removing a large wooded space on the SE corner of town (inside the city limits). My mom took the kids over to help unpack and since I was more than useless for the task at hand, I was sent outside to play in the back yard (fenced in). While out there, I found a new friend. I have very little recollection of the exact events due to age, but I do remember that this was the largest most beautiful specimen that I had ever encounted of the "Black Rat Snake" and wanted to share. I walked in the kitchen with a full grown snake (Probably female based on the size my mother describes) and say: "Look Gamee at what I found!!".

My mother tells me that my Grandmother could have beaten out any Basketball professions for a straight vertical jump. She went from the kitchen floor to ontop of the kitchen counters in one jump, haha. The next thing I remember the Snake was done being "friendly" and proceeded to inform me he'd like loose, by turning around and chomping onto my hand. Mom freaked, I was in awe of this snake "trying to eat me" and Gamee was about to faint, haha.

It was at that point that my parents doubled up my Education of Reptiles native to my area to keep me from picking up the wrong friend.

I have encounted Venomous in the wild. Both Copperhead and Water Moccasins. By respecting them and their space/territory, I've never had anyone with me, or my self, have a poor altercation with one of these creatures.

I am with Diane though; Spiders, Scorpions, and Centi/Millipedes set of my "NOPE THE NOPE NOPE" so hard. Probably why I am debating one as a desk pet. lol

Paul

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Were you ever scared?

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    Were you once scared of snakes before you got one/them?

I think I was ‘apprehensive’ for sure .. I grew up in the 60’s and nobody had snakes as pets in my ‘circle’ .. I like/ liked to be different and back then I had a Tortoise , a few Piranhas and a pet Pike

The only snakes I was aware of were ‘killer’ snakes like Cobras and Rattlesnakes seen on the telly plus big brown Boas and Burms at the local zoos - they were massive and you’d see them asleep in the corner on a big concrete pit- heaven knows what the temps and humidity levels were

I was always intrigued and had a collection of rubber / plastic snakes

I’ve been scratched by cats , bitten by hamsters , dogs , rabbits , tiny Shetland ponies and a few others I’m sure .. so I’ve always had a heathy ‘respect’ for all critters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-17-2019 at 09:46 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),MuicyJelon (03-18-2019)

Thanks
    I was never "scared" of snakes. Always fascinated by them, and always had a very healthy respect for them (still do, and always will). Never thought I'd actually own one. This has been a very interesting experience - especially finding out how much fear and hate there is for snakes. I never realized, until I owned one, how much of that is out there. Especially coming from friends and family! My own daughter is terrified of snakes, and goes white if I mention bringing Alice out. Her kids love Alice. I don't understand where her fear comes from. It's kinda sad. My other daughter is fine with snakes - she's like me. Healthy respect, but admires Alice and will handle her.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rottn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2019),MuicyJelon (03-18-2019)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast