Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,505

1 members and 1,504 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Completely terrified. I almost stepped on a 3ft black rat snake when I was about 7, and from then on, I was worse than Indiana Jones. That's about 60% of why I got one though, face your fears and all that. Humorously, the first snake I ever actually handled was a ball python, less than a month ago, and instantly realized why they are so popular. It even clung to my wrist and tried to refuse going back into the enclosure at the pet store. I went back and bought that one, in spite of the pet shop horror stories, and it has done incredibly well.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2019),Dianne (03-25-2019),Shayne (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Re: Were you ever scared?

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Completely terrified. I almost stepped on a 3ft black rat snake when I was about 7, and from then on, I was worse than Indiana Jones. That's about 60% of why I got one though, face your fears and all that. Humorously, the first snake I ever actually handled was a ball python, less than a month ago, and instantly realized why they are so popular. It even clung to my wrist and tried to refuse going back into the enclosure at the pet store. I went back and bought that one, in spite of the pet shop horror stories, and it has done incredibly well.
    Very strange. I was reading your post and had to look and see if I had typed that earlier. Did the exact same thing at 7 yrs. old and when I realized what it was I jumped so high I cleared my bicycle that was propped up on a kickstand. Was terrified ever since. Thankfully, I have that "face your fear" gene as well.

- Terrified of snakes? Well, just buy one and stick it in your house where you sleep. Done!
    - Terrified of heights? Then just go skydiving. Done!
    - Terrified of the water? Just learn how to scuba dive. Done!

Not sure if we're strong-minded or just crazy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),Dianne (03-25-2019),fadingdaylight (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    I wouldn't use scared, very cautious. I live in Florida and there are some nasty slithers around here. I never understood why someone would have one as a pet.
    I think I was about 15 and my brother got a bearded dragon, which led to the family going to conventions to get big boxes of worms. Which is where I found my love for them. I can't remember the morph of that first ball python that stole my heart, but I still have its' picture. I held a few snakes at the conventions that followed and knew snakes were in my future.
    Mom wouldn't let me have snakes.
    So day 1 of moving out, I got me a Sand Boa. Kinda thinking it'd be a better start than a ball python. Now I also have my ball python.
    Mom is not impressed, but I'm very happy that that one little snake started my interest. Still cautious of snakes outside.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefneko View Post
    I wouldn't use scared, very cautious. I live in Florida and there are some nasty slithers around here. I never understood why someone would have one as a pet.
    I think I was about 15 and my brother got a bearded dragon, which led to the family going to conventions to get big boxes of worms. Which is where I found my love for them. I can't remember the morph of that first ball python that stole my heart, but I still have its' picture. I held a few snakes at the conventions that followed and knew snakes were in my future.
    Mom wouldn't let me have snakes.
    So day 1 of moving out, I got me a Sand Boa. Kinda thinking it'd be a better start than a ball python. Now I also have my ball python.
    Mom is not impressed, but I'm very happy that that one little snake started my interest. Still cautious of snakes outside.
    I think you can be forgiven for worrying about "nasty slithers" in Florida...it's one thing when you live in the desert (where I lived when I first got into snakes) because
    there is very little cover for snakes to hide & pop out of...but where you are, there's a lot more cover in most areas. Good job overcoming the fear!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Very strange. I was reading your post and had to look and see if I had typed that earlier. Did the exact same thing at 7 yrs. old and when I realized what it was I jumped so high I cleared my bicycle that was propped up on a kickstand. Was terrified ever since. Thankfully, I have that "face your fear" gene as well.

- Terrified of snakes? Well, just buy one and stick it in your house where you sleep. Done!
    - Terrified of heights? Then just go skydiving. Done!
    - Terrified of the water? Just learn how to scuba dive. Done!

Not sure if we're strong-minded or just crazy.
    Given that I also thought 12 years of active duty and 4 trips to the middle east were good ideas also, I'm leaning towards crazy, but maybe it's a mix of both.

Edit - On a side note, I have decided to name my BP Sushi, after another fear recently faced and turned into a passion.
    Last edited by fadingdaylight; 03-25-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    - Jason

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),Shayne (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Nope. From a pretty young age I was fascinated with the outdoors everything in it. Never really bought pets but caught snakes lizards frogs turtles. You name it I probably caught it at one time or another. At 15 got my first real job cleaning cages in a Pet Store which opened a whole new world.
    Last edited by bagnew; 03-25-2019 at 05:29 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bagnew For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    Were you once scared of snakes before you got one/them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've never been scared of snakes, just always fascinated with them. I started catching venomous snakes when I was 12 or so.

However, being I deal with spitting cobras, more so my siamensis will randomly hiss when I'm working with him, and it usually catches me off guard. He's just very vocal, he's never actually spit, or struck at me.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

LOL! This is a good thread... I have to admit I was indeed scared of snakes when I was a little girl. I thought all of them for the most part were slimey and out to eat you. Then I watched a documentary about snakes, which lead to holding one at a pet store in my early twenties. The rest is history!

I was the same way with tarantula's...maybe alittle more fearful than anything. But my Mexican Red Knee is so docile, definitely a pet rock!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),Dianne (03-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Given that I also thought 12 years of active duty and 4 trips to the middle east were good ideas also, I'm leaning towards crazy, but maybe it's a mix of both.

Edit - On a side note, I have decided to name my BP Sushi, after another fear recently faced and turned into a passion.
    Nice!! Someone who actually understands me. lol Yea, I'm going with a healthy dose of both.

Also....Thank you for your service!!!

-- What was your fear of sushi, just getting sick?
    Last edited by Shayne; 03-26-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Nice!! Someone who actually understands me. lol Yea, I'm going with a healthy dose of both.

Also....Thank you for your service!!!

-- What was your fear of sushi, just getting sick?
    Not real sure, I just had myself convinced somehow that I hated it. A few months back I decided to give it a shot, and it turns out that I love it. How I'm trying all different kinds. Don't think I'll be able to get away with doing that with snakes though, but man there are a few...
    - Jason

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Shayne (03-27-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast