Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,382

1 members and 1,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: need parenting advice related to pet care

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Our cats are pretty easy to care for-- they self-feed and we have a large water fountain for them, too. Add the pet door and you don't even need to worry about a litter box.

Maybe some day you can invent some kind of frozen lizard food!
    cant get a dog or cat unfortunately, i move too much! right now moving to florida in a couple months for 3 years is the longest time i will have lived somewhere in about 12 years and moving cross state/cross country with a furry friend is a giant pain where snakes and isopods are pretty easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    unfortunately for me a schedule still doesn’t do it for me, ive had points where im filled with immense guilt due to improper care but i still physically cant do anything, its a horrible feeling.

funny part is, i hate crickets and refuse to get any reptile that needs crickets. its not the noise or anything but rather the smell and how annoying they are if they get loose. in fact a panther chameleon is my dream, but i refuse to ever get one just cause of the crickets. ive learned that mentally i cant handle stuff that requires daily attention, which is why i stick with snakes because with a hognose only have to feed every few days and then once a week once they get older. i just have to control myself and only get snakes from here on out, no matter how much i want another animal

Much as I loved the bearded dragon I rescued/saved many years ago, I didn't enjoy having to get him crickets either... Beardies are wonderful pets, but they need
    attention & special feeding daily...my snakes are checked on daily, but it's not the same thing...I'm spoiled by keeping snakes. I've had geckos etc. in the past too-
    just happier with dogs & snakes, that's enough for me. We all have to 'know ourselves'.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Much as I loved the bearded dragon I rescued/saved many years ago, I didn't enjoy having to get him crickets either... Beardies are wonderful pets, but they need
    attention & special feeding daily...my snakes are checked on daily, but it's not the same thing...I'm spoiled by keeping snakes. I've had geckos etc. in the past too-
    just happier with dogs & snakes, that's enough for me. We all have to 'know ourselves'.
    i have/have had a beardie sorta. hes kinda became my parents unintentionally when i moved out of state for a few months and couldnt bring him with and now theyre attached and wont let me take him back. ive found superworms and BSFL worms are much easier to deal with and feed than crickets.

my snake(s) are/are gonna be next to my bed and i check on him multiple times a day, same with my isopods (idk why i check on them they dont even do anything LOL)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2019),FollowTheSun (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

i have/have had a beardie sorta. hes kinda became my parents unintentionally when i moved out of state for a few months and couldnt bring him with and now theyre attached and wont let me take him back. ive found superworms and BSFL worms are much easier to deal with and feed than crickets.

my snake(s) are/are gonna be next to my bed and i check on him multiple times a day, same with my isopods (idk why i check on them they dont even do anything LOL)

I agree about superworms! She gets those sometimes, but when I asked her why she doesn't just feed Harold those all the time, she said it's good for Chameleons to have variety, and that the crickets seem to be able to be gut loaded more easily and sprinkled with calcium more easily.

And that's a cool story about the bearded dragon! I have a feeling that's going to be with her Python. Lucy is a very mean snake but she and I have an understanding and I am able to hold her. I think it's because I let her hide in my bathrobe. LOL!
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-15-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I agree about superworms! She gets those sometimes, but when I asked her why she doesn't just feed Harold those all the time, she said it's good for Chameleons to have variety, and that the crickets seem to be able to be gut loaded more easily and sprinkled with calcium more easily.
    variety is true. for beardies the best diet is roaches but thats a big nonono for me! but soon im gonna get into keeping morio worms/beetles and millipedes (but thats for other reasons)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

variety is true. for beardies the best diet is roaches but thats a big nonono for me! but soon im gonna get into keeping morio worms/beetles and millipedes (but thats for other reasons)

I fed that beardie LOTs of variety, but no roaches...I didn't know about them at the time & they weren't available locally. He really didn't get many crickets either, in fact
    that's the whole reason I ended up rescuing him! His previous owners fed him nothing but crickets (& large ones too, they're worse as the back legs are very difficult to
    digest) & he was so constipated & starving that he almost died. They planned to just dump him outside if I didn't take him... I got him thru it & he was so adorable too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12