Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,947

0 members and 2,947 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Texas House Bill 3559: Stop Rattlesnake Gassing

i got this USARK action alert the other day about Texas House Bill 3559 to outlaw the gassing of rattlesnakes for collection for those dumb and popular rattlesnake roundups. you could read the blog here: https://usark.org/2019-blog/stop-rat...45263671875000 and i will also post it below.

we also have a discussion here on the forum about the roundups: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...on-Starts-Now!

this bill will not prohibit the roundups, but it is a step in the right direction. if you are a TX voter and reptile/animal/environmental lover, please consider supporting this legislation. USARK has some good suggestions and talking points and info on contacting your legislator.

on the flipside, the roundup lobby has been in Austin on a promo: https://thestarphoenix.com/pmn/news-...7-b2d03ac4927d
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2019),Sonny1318 (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    from USARK here: https://usark.org/2019-blog/stop-rat...45263671875000 why u should supprt HB 359, how to contact your legislator and some talking points/draft letter.

ACTION ALERT: Stop rattlesnake gassing in TexasBy USARK on March 11, 2019

A bill to support! Texas House Bill 3559 would ban the destructive practice of "gassing." Gassing is the dumping or spraying of toxic chemicals into wildlife borrows and dens to force out wildlife. Often, gassing is used to collect rattlesnakes for roundup events where the snakes are then kicked, killed, and even have their mouths sewn shut for selfies. The reasoning to end gassing and these traditional roundups is tremendous.

HB3559 also prohibits people from knowingly possessing animals which have been collected utilizing gassing.

HB3559 was introduced by Representative Farrar. It has not been referred to a committee yet. For now, you can send Rep. Farrar and your state Representatives messages with your support but PLEASE check back so you can contact committee members once the bill is assigned.

Bill text: www.capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/HB03559I.pdf#navpanes=0

Sample Messaging
    -- You can find your Representatives and contact info here (just enter your zip code): www.texastribune.org/directory/#txhouse
    -- Rep. Farrar contact info and email: jessica.farrar@house.texas.gov and www.house.texas.gov/members/member-page/email/?district=148&session=86

Sample subject lines:
    -- Support for HB3559
    -- YES to HB3559
    -- Texas needs HB3559
    -- HB3559 is good for Texas

Dear Texas Legislator,

Please support House Bill 3559! As a conservationist who understands the important roles which rattlesnakes serve in our environment, the practice of "gassing" must be stopped in Texas. Not only is this good for rattlesnakes, but it benefits dozens of other animals including Texas tortoises, burrowing owls, endangered species, agricultural animals, and even humans. Gassing pollutes our fragile ecosystem and contaminates groundwater, among having many other harmful effects, even risk of fires and explosions.

Science, data, and common sense overwhelmingly support this bill. The practice of "gassing," which is the use of noxious or toxic substances such as gasoline, kerosene, and harmful chemicals to disturb and collect wildlife, is damaging to both the target animal and all other animals using the dens or even just nearby. These virulent substances are damaging to the surrounding environment, potentially making it unusable for wildlife for years.

Concern that this ban would negatively impact rattlesnake roundups and the economy is unfounded. Nearly all rattlesnake roundups across the country have converted to educational festivals where rattlesnakes are not killed, and they certainly do not gas the local environment to collect animals. Rather than instilling an irrational fear of these glorious animals, people learn about them and gain respect.

The new festivals, which celebrate rattlesnakes rather than abominate them, are just as successful as they were previously, and some of them more successful. Any traditional roundups remaining in Texas need to follow that trend and stop their cruel ways. This bill is a step in that direction. It will not only help to improve rattlesnake roundups, but also the unwarranted gassing for any other wildlife collection purposes.

Please support HB 3559! It is good for Texas. It is good for our wildlife and environment. And it is good for Texans and our future. This practice of gassing should not be taught to our children and they should learn to respect and understand snakes, not fear them. Thank you and have a good day.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME (include city and state if in Texas)
    also anyone have any info on these new types of festivals that USARK mentions above? they sound really neat!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2019),Sonny1318 (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Baby-steps, at least... I do remember that last year I saw an article about such a life-affirming festival held in Georgia to replace the old massacres, and that
    it was well-attended. People are curious & when they can see rattlesnakes up close with a balanced presentation, they can & DO learn to co-exist with them.

And when I kept & rescued rattlesnakes in the California desert, it's what I always tried to do with those that weren't releasable...I gave educational lectures
    where locals could learn about rattlesnakes & see them up close. Positive stuff to appreciate how nature has evolved, not negative "kill everything" mentality.
    I'm really glad to see others continuing this trend to open & change minds...it's long long over-due.