Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

0 members and 2,997 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

isopods/bioactive

hey yall so i wanted to make a post about this since lately ive been obsessed with it. but 1) isopods are so dang cute. okay now that thats over with i wanna hear your opinions on bioactive and reasonings as to why you have or havent done it! i did it because i have a western hognose (soon to be a southern hognose aswell) and ive talked to a few people who saw crazy changes in their hogs personality and activity so i went for it and i do have to say that hes way more active and eating better than ever.

anyways, a huge part (arguably the most important part) of bio is the CUC (clean up crew) for different climates the CUC varies but generally will always consist of isopods and springtails, where people go from there is up to them such as darkling beetles, compost worms, millipedes, spiders (house spiders usually) different kinds of roaches, etc. but you end up becoming more fascinated with watching the CUC more than anything else. so just today i went out and started 5 different cultures:

P. laevis (Dairy Cow)

Armadillidium maculatum (Zebras)

Porcellionides pruinosus (Powder Orange)

i also have Trichorhina tomentosa (Dwarf Whites) but theyre extremely elusive.

im so excited to get into different species of isopods and millipedes once i move. i cant wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: isopods/bioactive

None of my Pythons are bioactive YET but my Cresties and Pixie frog are all bioactive AND I LOVE IT! Although my pothos in my cresties won’t take so I’m looking at different options but my Pixie is loving it. I have a huge spring tail culture that’s in a 66 qt sertilite and my dwarf whites in a 8 qt and everyone’s exploding. I use my discoids to help aerate the soil because they dig like crazy. Night crawlers have failed me too many times so I just say to hell with them from joshsfrogs.com id love to have them in my Pixies enclosure but they never survive the trip to Florida. Here’s some pictures of my oldest crestie Draconis’s enclosure that I built and then my baby Cinder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

scarThePiedBall (03-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    None of my Pythons are bioactive YET but my Cresties and Pixie frog are all bioactive AND I LOVE IT! Although my pothos in my cresties won’t take so I’m looking at different options but my Pixie is loving it. I have a huge spring tail culture that’s in a 66 qt sertilite and my dwarf whites in a 8 qt and everyone’s exploding. I use my discoids to help aerate the soil because they dig like crazy. Night crawlers have failed me too many times so I just say to hell with them from joshsfrogs.com id love to have them in my Pixies enclosure but they never survive the trip to Florida. Here’s some pictures of my oldest crestie Draconis’s enclosure that I built and then my baby Cinder.

so exciting!! providing my cultures get going fast im going to try and make my bearded dragon and maybe my tortoise bioactive. right now i just have my western hognose and when i move to florida in may im going to be working on getting a southern hognose aswell and immediatly making her bio aswell, i just gotta figure out what size enclosure i wanna get.

once i get moved im going to work on darkling beetles and bumblebee millipedes, i cant do roaches unfortunately

Thanks

Understandable lol I have 33 pets right now and 13 of them love theirs roaches lol so why not just have them part or their enclosure lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Understandable lol I have 33 pets right now and 13 of them love theirs roaches lol so why not just have them part or their enclosure lol

ill only have 2 in florida when my other two stay in tennessee. (2 hogs will be in florida with me) if you want to count my isos as pets ill have 10-15

Registered User scarThePiedBall's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've done all the research and would like to do our tank bioactive...absolutely love them! But trying to convince my daughter we should do that to her tank, isn't going over so well. Makes me start to wonder who the parent is, haha.
    0.0.1 Paradox Pied BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scarThePiedBall View Post
    I've done all the research and would like to do our tank bioactive...absolutely love them! But trying to convince my daughter we should do that to her tank, isn't going over so well. Makes me start to wonder who the parent is, haha.
    whats her hesitations? might be able to help lol

Thanks
    It's just what she wants, lol. I think she's slightly taken back by the whole cuc side of things. We've watched all kinds of videos about the setups (my attempt at convincing her, lol) Oh well, maybe for the next snake that will be mine.
    0.0.1 Paradox Pied BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scarThePiedBall View Post
    It's just what she wants, lol. I think she's slightly taken back by the whole cuc side of things. We've watched all kinds of videos about the setups (my attempt at convincing her, lol) Oh well, maybe for the next snake that will be mine.
    seeing pictures of well planted well set up tanks is what got me. has she never played with roly polys? thats how i talk people into it. isopods and springs are the most harmless insects ever lol and then maybe you can graduate up to super worms and darkling beetles

Thanks
    Oh yeah, we have them in the yard....I think she wants to keep them there, haha. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at setup pics....gotta love mini ecosystems. I have kept Coral tanks for over 15 years, so I naturally gravitated to the bio tanks. Scar is technically "her snake" so whenever I end up with one, I'm for sure going bioactive!
    0.0.1 Paradox Pied BP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast