Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,537

1 members and 2,536 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Ripped Scales?

Thanks

Ripped Scales?

My ball python was recently being treated for mild scale rot, only a few scales were infected, and since it was so mild I decided to treat him at home with daily 15-20 minute long betadine baths and antibiotic cream afterward. It only got slightly better after a few months of treatment(I believe I started early/mid January) but he also never got worse, so I kept him on home treatment. A little before he got his rot, he started his winter fast(it was his first fast ever, he's eating again and before mating season he ate every week) so I think he was overly stressed out or something that caused the rot.

Anyways, he just shed the other day and I noticed his scales that were infected just.. came off? I've attached pictures of his body where his scales used to be, but if it'd be helpful I can add pictures of his shed where the scales were(its all in one piece, I moved him to a plastic tub earlier in February and his humidity was more regulated and consistent, helping it come off all in one, obviously) as well.

So, my question is, should I take him into the vet to check out his scales or is that unnecessary? Should I cover his missing scales in antibiotic cream to make sure his skin wont get infected? Or, since they're already gone, is there nothing I can do and just leave it?

https://imgur.com/84GBsGz
    https://imgur.com/Dhaxd2S
    https://imgur.com/enlMgc6 (this one is just cute)

Thanks for any of your suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    You're not talking about extensive scale loss, then, are you? Just those little spots? And it's not increasing?

I would not personally have bathed him in Betadine, just applied some diluted Betadine to the areas in question.

What kind of antibiotic cream did you use? That's possibly what caused the loss of the scales, & they will likely stay gone, like scar tissue.

(& yes, he IS a cutie!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I am no vet but it looks to be a scar now and nothing to worry about. There is no open wound. Again...I'm not a vet.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Ripped Scales?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're not talking about extensive scale loss, then, are you? Just those little spots? And it's not increasing?

I would not personally have bathed him in Betadine, just applied some diluted Betadine to the areas in question.

What kind of antibiotic cream did you use? That's possibly what caused the loss of the scales, & they will likely stay gone, like scar tissue.

(& yes, he IS a cutie!)
    I believe I used neosporin on his infected scales. A few websites I read said bathes would work for mild rot. Of course I don't expect the scales to grow back, I was curious if there was anything I can do to make sure he's 100% content and healthy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver_the_BP For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    I am no vet but it looks to be a scar now and nothing to worry about. There is no open wound. Again...I'm not a vet.
    It's not pink or sore like raw skin, and he doesn't flinch in pain when it's touched, so I think it's all scarred over and healed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver_the_BP For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_the_BP View Post
    I believe I used neosporin on his infected scales. A few websites I read said bathes would work for mild rot. Of course I don't expect the scales to grow back, I was curious if there was anything I can do to make sure he's 100% content and healthy.
    Behavior is paramount, & specifically a good appetite indicates a "content & healthy" snake.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whatever happened this is clean no need for a vet and definitely no need to use anti-biotic ointment which will only loosen up more scales.

This could be the snake rubbing it's back on the top of the enclosure (similar to head rubbing), or which in combination with the use of oil based product (anti-biotic ointment) lead to that.

Usually scale rot is located on the ventral scales not on the top and in many cases in minor cases it is best to do nothing beside cleaning up with betadine.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-15-2019)