Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 407

15 members and 392 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 63,758
Threads: 237,669
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, CallyMerritt
    Thanks

Reptile Prime + Water

So I have been recording all my readings in my homemade enclosures for about 2 weeks now and I have a question or two. I have 2 weeks to go before the expo and purchase of 2 BP's. I am currently using about 1" - 1.5" thick layer of Reptile Prime in each cage over an area of approx 36" X 24". I am in the middle of winter in CT so there is no humidity in my house. I think we were at like 22% when I checked 2 weeks ago. I find myself adding 1 - 1.5 cups (yes I've been using a measuring cup) of water every day or 2 to the substrate and then mixing the wet stuff around to spread it out. This generally bring the humidity up to around 70% within a few hours then over the next day or 2 it falls to around 50%. I know that this is in the except able range. I do have a large water bowl directly under the RHP in each cage. Also ambient temps are holding steady at 86F +/- 2F reading from an accurite thermometer, with the hottest spot on the hot side being 91F and the coldest spot being 78F as checked with temp gun. At the moment I do not have any hides or clutter in the cages. Trying to get basic readings and settings down so I know how to react to changes.

So my questions are:
    1. Any suggestions to do things differently? no adding a humidifier to the room is not an option.
    2. Is it ok to have swings in humidity like that as long as it stays in that range or do I need to figure something else out to make it hold better?
    3. Should I just Relax it's good as it is?
    1 Bearded Dragon
    3 Guinea Pigs
    1 Dog
    2 Cats

Coming Soon:
    2 Ball Pythons March 31st
    1-2 Crested Geckos March 31st

Thanks

Re: Reptile Prime + Water

Are you using a tank with a screen lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 '04 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 '?? California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 '18 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")

Thanks

Here is my build thread. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nclosure-build
    They are sealed ply wood and acrylic
    1 Bearded Dragon
    3 Guinea Pigs
    1 Dog
    2 Cats

Coming Soon:

Thanks

Humidity swings in that range are fine. If you think about a natural environment, it's not normal for humidity to remain constant.

I also use Reptile Prime, and while I don't know exactly how much water I add at a time, I know it's a lot more than 1.5 cups. I just dump a bunch in and it never feels truly wet. Humid may spike high for a couple of days, but then I tend to get a nice 60% for a while. With my PVC I rarely have to add water. With my glass tanks I mist every couple of days and dump water every week if needed. Winter is harder to maintain than summer.

So long story short, I think your parameters are fine.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Pied & Lavender/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    CARPET PYTHONS: 0.1 Morelia bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

gunkle (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I also use Reptile Prime, and while I don't know exactly how much water I add at a time, I know it's a lot more than 1.5 cups. I just dump a bunch in and it never feels truly wet. Humid may spike high for a couple of days, but then I tend to get a nice 60% for a while. With my PVC I rarely have to add water. With my glass tanks I mist every couple of days and dump water every week if needed. Winter is harder to maintain than summer.

So long story short, I think your parameters are fine.
    So letting it spike higher then 70 for a day or two once a week would be ok? I've been making sure to only spike as high as 70 which is requiring much more frequent watering. I figured having it swing a bit wouldn't be too big of a deal but I don't want to chance any RI's either.
    1 Bearded Dragon
    3 Guinea Pigs
    1 Dog
    2 Cats

Coming Soon:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    So letting it spike higher then 70 for a day or two once a week would be ok? I've been making sure to only spike as high as 70 which is requiring much more frequent watering. I figured having it swing a bit wouldn't be too big of a deal but I don't want to chance any RI's either.
    I usually get somewhere around 80% for that first couple of days, but then it starts leveling off. My AP tends to hang onto humidity better than my BoaMaster, so I adjust my very precise dumping water method accordingly, lol. I haven't had any issues with RI whatsoever. My RHPs keep a nice gradient of 80-90 degrees.

The only time I've ever been nervous about a substrate is Reptichip because humidity would be 90%+ for days on end and it felt wet to the touch. When I was using it I figured out fast not to put it in my PVC cages, only glass tanks, because of that.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Pied & Lavender/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    CARPET PYTHONS: 0.1 Morelia bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie