Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,762

0 members and 1,762 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Reptile Prime + Water

So I have been recording all my readings in my homemade enclosures for about 2 weeks now and I have a question or two. I have 2 weeks to go before the expo and purchase of 2 BP's. I am currently using about 1" - 1.5" thick layer of Reptile Prime in each cage over an area of approx 36" X 24". I am in the middle of winter in CT so there is no humidity in my house. I think we were at like 22% when I checked 2 weeks ago. I find myself adding 1 - 1.5 cups (yes I've been using a measuring cup) of water every day or 2 to the substrate and then mixing the wet stuff around to spread it out. This generally bring the humidity up to around 70% within a few hours then over the next day or 2 it falls to around 50%. I know that this is in the except able range. I do have a large water bowl directly under the RHP in each cage. Also ambient temps are holding steady at 86F +/- 2F reading from an accurite thermometer, with the hottest spot on the hot side being 91F and the coldest spot being 78F as checked with temp gun. At the moment I do not have any hides or clutter in the cages. Trying to get basic readings and settings down so I know how to react to changes.

So my questions are:
    1. Any suggestions to do things differently? no adding a humidifier to the room is not an option.
    2. Is it ok to have swings in humidity like that as long as it stays in that range or do I need to figure something else out to make it hold better?
    3. Should I just Relax it's good as it is?
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks

Re: Reptile Prime + Water

Are you using a tank with a screen lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks

Here is my build thread. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nclosure-build
    They are sealed ply wood and acrylic
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Humidity swings in that range are fine. If you think about a natural environment, it's not normal for humidity to remain constant.

I also use Reptile Prime, and while I don't know exactly how much water I add at a time, I know it's a lot more than 1.5 cups. I just dump a bunch in and it never feels truly wet. Humid may spike high for a couple of days, but then I tend to get a nice 60% for a while. With my PVC I rarely have to add water. With my glass tanks I mist every couple of days and dump water every week if needed. Winter is harder to maintain than summer.

So long story short, I think your parameters are fine.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

gunkle (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I also use Reptile Prime, and while I don't know exactly how much water I add at a time, I know it's a lot more than 1.5 cups. I just dump a bunch in and it never feels truly wet. Humid may spike high for a couple of days, but then I tend to get a nice 60% for a while. With my PVC I rarely have to add water. With my glass tanks I mist every couple of days and dump water every week if needed. Winter is harder to maintain than summer.

So long story short, I think your parameters are fine.
    So letting it spike higher then 70 for a day or two once a week would be ok? I've been making sure to only spike as high as 70 which is requiring much more frequent watering. I figured having it swing a bit wouldn't be too big of a deal but I don't want to chance any RI's either.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    So letting it spike higher then 70 for a day or two once a week would be ok? I've been making sure to only spike as high as 70 which is requiring much more frequent watering. I figured having it swing a bit wouldn't be too big of a deal but I don't want to chance any RI's either.
    I usually get somewhere around 80% for that first couple of days, but then it starts leveling off. My AP tends to hang onto humidity better than my BoaMaster, so I adjust my very precise dumping water method accordingly, lol. I haven't had any issues with RI whatsoever. My RHPs keep a nice gradient of 80-90 degrees.

The only time I've ever been nervous about a substrate is Reptichip because humidity would be 90%+ for days on end and it felt wet to the touch. When I was using it I figured out fast not to put it in my PVC cages, only glass tanks, because of that.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

gunkle (04-05-2019)

Thanks

I realize this is an old thread but am noticing people say they add water to their Reptile Prime Substrate?? I wasn't aware that I was supposed to do that. I usually keep a large bowl with wet spaghum moss in their cage but it tends to be pain in the butt.

Should I be moistening the reptile prime instead??

Thanks
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I wouldn't say it's required, depends on how it's going. If humidity/shed issues - add water, if all is fine, don't worry about it.
    For my corns and king on reptile prime, I don't add any water. For my ATBs, some have moss filled hides as well. When I change out their water I dump the old water into the cage/reptile prime (unless they soiled in the water) to give that boost. I'm in a fairly dry area and also mist the higher humidity species, like ATBs, in addition and have a humidifier in the house for the winter time.
    For the Horde!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

L.West (10-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but am noticing people say they add water to their Reptile Prime Substrate?? I wasn't aware that I was supposed to do that. I usually keep a large bowl with wet spaghum moss in their cage but it tends to be pain in the butt.

Should I be moistening the reptile prime instead??

Thanks
    So I have since changed my method. Now I've learned that if I dump a small amount of water randomly on the reptile prime every few days during water bowl change I'm easily maintaining 55%+. I also only provided humid hides once each during shed and they did use it but It's so easy to bump up the humidity for a week to 70 that I don't bother anymore. Every shed so far has been a nice full one piece rolled up sock.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats