So I am very new to owning snakes. I have wanted one since I was old enough to be told not to bring them inside. That being said, on February 6th 2019, I got one from PetSmart. I know i know, petsmart. But honestly i am very happy that I bought it from there. I got his feeding schedule and they had been feeding him Fuzzies (which are too small) every Wednesday. They said he ate great without any issues. He looked skinny, his scales fold a little and his belly is a little sucked in (not to bad) as well as dehydrated. His Humidity was only 20% and he was on Aspen at the pet store. I got him home and put him right into his enclosure. He is very friendly and seems to be very happy. On Saturday, I fed him a F/T Mouse. Which he took effortlessly (I would say he was happy for a full meal). On Sunday I noticed he was trying to poop (prolapsed) but couldnt so I gave him a hot bath. After 3 baths and some help he finally passed a HARD, DRY pellet about the size of a Marble. He was still prolapsed. I kept it moist and clean, knowing I wouldnt be able to get to the Vet. I gave him more baths (he likes it) and he passed a large bowel movement. (Still prolapsed). After he pooped I put him on wet paper towels and cover his Butt in sugar paste. And then reset his rectum. Yes before anyone says something. I am a very competent person and followed steps laid out by the Vet. Everything was good and I was able to convince the Vet to let me sneak in early before work to get Him checked out. Well Turns out HE is a SHE and everything I did worked perfectly (according to the Vet).

Now, after all that, here is my Question:

Did my husbandry cause this?

Humidity 60-65%
Cool Side Ground Temp: 76°F (Still working to raise)
Hot Spot Ground Temp: 91°F
Ambient Air: 75°F (Trying to Raise)

40 Gallon Tank (36x18x18)
2 8x12 UTH / Thermostat both on Warm Side
Heat Lamp 60W

I know I shouldn't handle him and should let him do his own thing for a couple weeks getting acclimated, but I thought he needed some corrective action. So I took it. And I felt it was in the best interest of my Pet.

Along with my other question, I was wondering what people do to lower humidity. Less water. Duh. But with new substrate my Humidity jumps to 85%. To get it down to the 60% range my substrate has to be almost COMPLETELY dry. Maybe some reptichip?

Thank You,

-Joshua

I would love to post pictures. But I'm Tech-Challenged. So yea.