Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

1 members and 2,837 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Nicaraguan Boa questions.....

I was cruising Craigslist and I found a lady with a 9 month old Nicaraguan Boa for sale. She seems like she knows the basics about snakes but a few things she said threw red flags....

1. She said she is selling him because her ball python hates him and won’t tolerate him. I have no idea why they are together for any reason and it seems like a silly reason to rehome him.

2. He won’t constrict his food. She is feeding him pinkies and she said he just strikes and swallows it down. He looks big enough to take larger prey so that might be the problem and he physically can’t constrict anything that small.

3. She said he isn’t like most snakes and he has a hard time hanging on to her with anything other than his tail. She said she has to support his weight with her hands.

4. I have a PVC enclosure with a RHP but she says he hates a basking light and prefers his heat pad. She said she has in on a thermostat but I’m sure he isn’t thrilled with a bright hot light in his face so I wasn’t to concerned about that.

5. If he isn’t handled daily she said he gets snippy. He doesn’t bite but he opens his mouth and protests being handled. She went on to say to say he has more personality than all her other pets put together and is generally a very sweet snake.

He is about 2 hours away and my experience is limited to ball pythons. Does any of this sound like normal boa behavior or should I move on? He comes with a 10 gallon tank, heat mat, cage furnishings and the snake for $250 dollars. I’m interested in a 5 footsnake with personality, good feeding response, and a laid back attitude.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (03-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Nicaraguan Boa questions.....

I don't own a Nic but they are on my short list of locality boas to look out for at Tinley because I think they're beautiful. Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in.

I will say that if he's actually being fed pinkies that's definitely not large enough prey. Poor thing is probably starving. Could explain some of the defensive behavior. Do you have any photos? If you do end up getting him you're likely to save his life. Sounds like this lady doesn't have a clue.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019),Phillydubs (03-10-2019),SVT Wylde (03-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    If you are interested in the species and you think that’s a fair price then go see it and decide.

A quick MM search showed me 2 for sale at $200 so factor shipping you are at the price now.

If you are alarmed by the questions you pose then maybe find a solid breeder and buy one direct. You can get great deals from cl but also bad stuff so be careful.

Is she def housing them together? Where is the ten gallon coming from?

Some of the other stuff seem common especially for an uneducated or lax keeper. Sounds like it’s being fed wrong prey. Not handled a lot or well and these are things that can be fixed easily with some effort and patience.

It all comes down to you as a consumer and if you think it’s worth spending money on. You can get a pretty nice boa for $250 so take a look at the market and what catches your eye before you run and take on someone else’s problem or gold.

No mayer what. Excerise prioer qt especially when bringing in a random animal in.
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019),dakski (03-10-2019),JRLongton (03-11-2019),SVT Wylde (03-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I don't own a Nic but they are on my short list of locality boas to look out for at Tinley because I think they're beautiful. Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in.

I will say that if he's actually being fed pinkies that's definitely not large enough prey. Poor thing is probably starving. Could explain some of the defensive behavior. Do you have any photos? If you do end up getting him you're likely to save his life. Sounds like this lady doesn't have a clue.

Well said/\/\/\/\

there is also that. The “life saving” point. Tugs my heart too if that’s the case.

However, I’d negotiate that price down especially in person pick up
    w cash and if she wants it gone then may be in your wallets favor
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019),dakski (03-10-2019),SVT Wylde (03-10-2019)

Thanks
    From what I understand, she had the Nic in a 55 gallon tank but her ball python was bigger and needed the room. I think she tried to house them together. There are a few pics on Craigslist and he looks a little underweight but not to bad. I’ll try to post some pics on here tomorrow evening if I can figure it out.

My BP is a rescue named Abraham and the Nic’s name is Lincoln so it just kinda draws me to him. I think he’d be a good snake with some work and if I couldn’t handle him maybe I can find him a home later with someone who can. She said he has never been super defensive just cranky.

I just got got another text from her and she said he eats a pinky every 2 weeks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Well I've got a mainland hypo Nicaraguan and a corn island Nicaraguan, both of these very rarely hold on and my Peruvian longtail boas too for some reason.yet some hold on for dear life,lol
    I love my nics. Mine are proper chilled out and there great to handle, never hissed or struck at me but as any one with a boa will tell have such an amazing food drive and would probably eat ever day if I let them,my mainland nics colours are just so good and only get better with age.i live the high speckling on her , As you said they not too big either , in my ooythete a very underated boa.both my females are 4years old and under 5ft.
    I think what's been said about the food is correct the babies I bred last year started off on small mice so this one on pinkies at six months is probably hungry.
    Good luck with your decision and I can't wait to see pics

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

SVT Wylde (03-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I am not sure but I think Ruby is a Nicaraguan Boa. I took her as a rescue and she is around 5 feet full grown. Recovering nicely from the extreme abuse she went through. She is supposedly 8 years old. Easy to handle. Is very active for a boa IMO. Other boas I have hand were more chill and relaxed (couch potato's), but she is on the move. I rescue a lot. Under most circumstances my rescues get rehomed. With her level of abuse I decided to keep her.

Things to keep in mind.

1. Active
    2. Love to climb and be up high.
    3. Seams to eat weekly so I feed smaller (medium rats instead of large) items but not to small. (might be related to her being starved for a year?)
    4. Is bold when it comes to food. (might be related to her being starved for a year?)
    5. Loves to hide as best she can from site.
    6. Hook training is necessary!
    7. Can smell a rat a mile away.
    8. Intelligent.
    9. Is a relationship not just a pet.
    10. She prefers cooler temps than a python. (for my girl, anything over 85 she hates and will avoid the spot.)

This is just one animal in my care and not truly sure of locality.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019),JRLongton (03-11-2019),richardhind1972 (03-11-2019),SVT Wylde (03-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I am not sure but I think Ruby is a Nicaraguan Boa. I took her as a rescue and she is around 5 feet full grown. Recovering nicely from the extreme abuse she went through. She is supposedly 8 years old. Easy to handle. Is very active for a boa IMO. Other boas I have hand were more chill and relaxed (couch potato's), but she is on the move. I rescue a lot. Under most circumstances my rescues get rehomed. With her level of abuse I decided to keep her.

Things to keep in mind.

1. Active
    2. Love to climb and be up high.
    3. Seams to eat weekly so I feed smaller (medium rats instead of large) items but not to small. (might be related to her being starved for a year?)
    4. Is bold when it comes to food. (might be related to her being starved for a year?)
    5. Loves to hide as best she can from site.
    6. Hook training is necessary!
    7. Can smell a rat a mile away.
    8. Intelligent.
    9. Is a relationship not just a pet.
    10. She prefers cooler temps than a python. (for my girl, anything over 85 she hates and will avoid the spot.)

This is just one animal in my care and not truly sure of locality.
    I can’t remember seeing pics of ruby skyrivers.
    when my nic was younger she always was on her shelf, I could do with upgrading my shelves as most of mine don’t fit them
    Anymore

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    I can’t remember seeing pics of ruby skyrivers.
    when my nic was younger she always was on her shelf, I could do with upgrading my shelves as most of mine don’t fit them
    Anymore

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...r-health/page5

Here is her rescue thread.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-11-2019),richardhind1972 (03-11-2019),SVT Wylde (03-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    So sorry skyrivers ,I had seen this thread and even commented on it numerous times. Doh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast