Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

1 members and 2,786 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Glass Tank- Humidity/Substrate tips?

Hello again!

I feel I ask too many questions on here, but am still trying to find the perfect set up for my BP!

I have decided to switch my 2 year old BP to a glass tank after experiencing several difficulties with the plastic tub (the bottom warped and separated from the UTH even though it is regulated by a Zilla thermostat with the probe between the UTH and bottom of tub and me checking regularly with a Temp Gun). I might just be unlucky, but the plastic tub just doesn't seem to be working out and I'd rather have something sturdier and longer-lasting.

With that said, I was offered a great deal on a basically brand-new Exo Terra 36x18x18 tank (was only used for like a month before the owner switched to a rack system with more BPs).

Firstly, any tips on sterilizing a used tank? I read running it under hot water with Dawn dish soap(??) and using herp-safe tank cleaner, but has anyone ever had experience with this? I was also thinking to spray it down with MiteSpray just in case?

Next, any tips on keeping the humidity up? I am thinking to use something to cover the screen top- what material do you recommend? Plastic, cardboard, foil tape? Should I also try covering the sides of the tank with something to hold in humidity and heat? I have Foil Tape, which I was wondering would work to just completely cover the screen with a gap for her CHE?

And lastly, I want to switch substrate. I am currently using the Forrest Floor substrate (100% cypress), which I like the chunky texture off, but I've noticed it becomes extremely dry after like a week with the CHE and UTH. I was thinking a combination of like Eco Earth and Cypress? But I'm worried with the dusty Coco fiber to be accidentally inhaled or something? What's your favorite?

Recommendations would be great! Thanks all!

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks
    I use a mix of white vinegar and water to clean all my herp tanks. It'll take care of hard water stains and sanitize the enclosure; make sure you rinse it all off though!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Hannahvh (03-13-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Glass Tank- Humidity/Substrate tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahvh View Post
    Hello again!

I feel I ask too many questions on here, but am still trying to find the perfect set up for my BP!

I have decided to switch my 2 year old BP to a glass tank after experiencing several difficulties with the plastic tub (the bottom warped and separated from the UTH even though it is regulated by a Zilla thermostat with the probe between the UTH and bottom of tub and me checking regularly with a Temp Gun). I might just be unlucky, but the plastic tub just doesn't seem to be working out and I'd rather have something sturdier and longer-lasting.

With that said, I was offered a great deal on a basically brand-new Exo Terra 36x18x18 tank (was only used for like a month before the owner switched to a rack system with more BPs).

Firstly, any tips on sterilizing a used tank? I read running it under hot water with Dawn dish soap(??) and using herp-safe tank cleaner, but has anyone ever had experience with this? I was also thinking to spray it down with MiteSpray just in case?

Next, any tips on keeping the humidity up? I am thinking to use something to cover the screen top- what material do you recommend? Plastic, cardboard, foil tape? Should I also try covering the sides of the tank with something to hold in humidity and heat? I have Foil Tape, which I was wondering would work to just completely cover the screen with a gap for her CHE?

And lastly, I want to switch substrate. I am currently using the Forrest Floor substrate (100% cypress), which I like the chunky texture off, but I've noticed it becomes extremely dry after like a week with the CHE and UTH. I was thinking a combination of like Eco Earth and Cypress? But I'm worried with the dusty Coco fiber to be accidentally inhaled or something? What's your favorite?

Recommendations would be great! Thanks all!
    I'm on my way out to work, but I'll be back on after to help you out. I've been using glass for many years, so I've kinda got it down. That being said, there will be variance due to variables like region you live, temps in your house, etc...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Hannahvh (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm on my way out to work, but I'll be back on after to help you out. I've been using glass for many years, so I've kinda got it down. That being said, there will be variance due to variables like region you live, temps in your house, etc...
    You're awesome! To give you a head start- I live in ""The Valley" right outside Los Angeles, CA. VERY hot summers (Will be like 100-115F over summer days), pretty chilly winters (has been averaging like 50F this winter), and our average annual humidity is between 65-70. My house in the winter has probably been about 70F and in the summer, will probably be around 75 as we will run the AC sometimes, but it will be very hot outside. I think my particular room happens to be pretty dry- I often have to use a humidifier.
    Last edited by Hannahvh; 03-13-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

You're awesome! To give you a head start- I live in ""The Valley" right outside Los Angeles, CA. VERY hot summers (Will be like 100-115F over summer days), pretty chilly winters (has been averaging like 50F this winter), and our average annual humidity is between 65-70. My house in the winter has probably been about 70F and in the summer, will probably be around 75 as we will run the AC sometimes, but it will be very hot outside. I think my particular room happens to be pretty dry- I often have to use a humidifier.
    Happy to help! I definitely like to prove some of the "glass bashers" wrong. I've been keeping snakes in glass tanks since around 2000 when I got my first.
    It just takes a little more work to tweak things, but once things are dialed in it'sno more difficult than PVC enclosures or tubs.

"Pretty chilly winters" that's cute, hahaha. We have had 50 degree weather all week here in MA and people are all excited and walking around in shorts and short sleeves. Its usually in the teens around here this time of year.

Anyway, sounds like your climate and home temps will make things pretty easy for you.

One of the things I do that helps a ton: I wrap my glass enclosures in 1/2" foam board insulation. It costs like $15 for a 4'x8' sheet.
    I then cut pieces to fit the back and sides. I cut the back piece one inch longer than the enclosure with so the sides butt up against it and make a flush corner. Then I tape those in place on the outside of the enclosure (never any tape inside an enclosure!!!).
    Then I cut a piece for the top (if you have a hinged lid you'll need two pieces). Then I trace the lamp in the spot on the foam where it will be positioned. Then cut out the hole, plus about a 1/4-1/2" to allow for airflow and so the lamp isn't in direct contact with the foam (although the foam is fire retardant).
    This takes just a few minutes and helps immensely with heat and humidity control. The insulated tank allows heat to be retained, there for using less energy and zapping less humidity. Plus, saves on your electric bill.

You can choose to pretty it up by painting it or whatever, but that's obviously up to you.

Also, I use a blend of eco earth and Repti bark as substrate. It holds humidity well, spot cleans easily and looks naturalistic.

Lastly, I use two large water bowls year round to help with humidity. You may not need to where you live, but it goes a LING way here.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-13-2019),gunkle (03-13-2019),Hannahvh (03-14-2019)

Registered User ShawarmaPoutine's Avatar
    Thanks

I put sphagnum moss around my water bowl and spray it with water whenever humidity drops.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShawarmaPoutine For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-13-2019),Hannahvh (03-14-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    I put sphagnum moss around my water bowl and spray it with water whenever humidity drops.
    I use sphangnum moss in their hides during a shed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Hannahvh (03-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Happy to help! I definitely like to prove some of the "glass bashers" wrong. I've been keeping snakes in glass tanks since around 2000 when I got my first.
    It just takes a little more work to tweak things, but once things are dialed in it'sno more difficult than PVC enclosures or tubs.
    Absolutely! I know tubs can be easier, but I am all for building/adjusting to make things perfect- like a science experiment! So, I am actually looking forward to making this work! Plus, this new tank is AMAZING!! I picked it up last night and it is in virtually perfect condition and is so much more spacious than her tub, I know she'll be so happy once I fill it up with a bunch of stuff to hide under!

LOL I didn't realize you were from Mass! I bet you're having a good laugh. Us over here in Cali were literally screaming and crying this winter when we left our houses in the mornings and it was a WHOPPING 40F!! LOL

Okay perfect, I was considering insulating, but wasn't sure really what material was best or how to do it! I do have some clarity questions, though!
    1. Just to make sure, the foam board is on the OUTSIDE of the tank or inside? And just regular old foam board from the Hardware store will do? Not toxic or anything? OR have you ever tried/read about using cork board? I've seen a couple people using it, but not sure if it is an aesthetic thing or a functional thing.
    2. For substrate, I know using a thicker layer supposedly helps more with humidity as well, right? BUT, will my UTH be able to heat through a thick layer of substrate? Obviously I would have to set the thermostat higher, but will that shatter the glass? Very nervous about that. If I have to set the UTH thermostat to like 106 to achieve the 90 spot, will anything bad happen?
    3. Is it okay to place the heat lamp (inside a Zoo-Med dome) on top of the screen? If you look up the EXO-Terra PT2613 screen, you'll see that it has 4 metal bars across the top, which I could rest the lamp on top of so it isn't in direct contact with the screen part. I'll have to probably cut out 4 foam pieces to fit into the sections of the screen, but more fun for me!

That's exactly the combo of substrate I was considering using, so I'm glad you've found success with it! When you have left over substrate, how (or IF) do you store it? For example, if I order like a 72 QT of reptibark and I don't use the whole bag at once, how best can I store it so it doesn't dry up or mold?

Seriously, thanks a million for your detailed explanation and ideas!!

Thanks

OH also, what do you use to cut the foam board?

Banned
    Thanks

Okay perfect, I was considering insulating, but wasn't sure really what material was best or how to do it! I do have some clarity questions, though!
    1. Just to make sure, the foam board is on the OUTSIDE of the tank or inside? And just regular old foam board from the Hardware store will do? Not toxic or anything? OR have you ever tried/read about using cork board? I've seen a couple people using it, but not sure if it is an aesthetic thing or a functional thing.
    2. For substrate, I know using a thicker layer supposedly helps more with humidity as well, right? BUT, will my UTH be able to heat through a thick layer of substrate? Obviously I would have to set the thermostat higher, but will that shatter the glass? Very nervous about that. If I have to set the UTH thermostat to like 106 to achieve the 90 spot, will anything bad happen?
    3. Is it okay to place the heat lamp (inside a Zoo-Med dome) on top of the screen? If you look up the EXO-Terra PT2613 screen, you'll see that it has 4 metal bars across the top, which I could rest the lamp on top of so it isn't in direct contact with the screen part. I'll have to probably cut out 4 foam pieces to fit into the sections of the screen, but more fun for me!

That's exactly the combo of substrate I was considering using, so I'm glad you've found success with it! When you have left over substrate, how (or IF) do you store it? For example, if I order like a 72 QT of reptibark and I don't use the whole bag at once, how best can I store it so it doesn't dry up or mold?

Seriously, thanks a million for your detailed explanation and ideas!!
    Sorry, just getting home from work...

I'm glad to hear you like your new tank!!

1) yes, the foam board goes outside. I buy it from Home Depot. It's in the insulation section. The one I use is the 1/2", but you could obviously go thicker if you wanted to. I think that would be overkill in Cali though. The thicker it is the higher the R-Rating. Higher R-Rating = more insulating power. I just cut the pieces to fit using a razor knife (utility knife).

I don't know anything about using cork, so can't weigh in there.

2) you want to measure the actual surface temp of the glass, not the substrate. Your snake can and will burrow and push substrate around and lay directly on the glass.
    When I set new enclosures up or do a full deep clean I only put about 1/4-1/2" of substrate over the hot spot. They just move it around anyway.
    As far as the deeper substrate holding humidity better, yeah it will. But I doubt you'll need to worry about it in Cali once you insulate the tank. If the substrate itself is damp when you put it in it'll prob raise your humidity too high. I would probably start with about 1-1 1/2" of substrate and see how that works out.

3) yes, you can put your lamp on top like that. Mine are all set up that way, have been for many years.
    I think I know the screen lid you're talking about, and if I'm thinking of the right one, yeah you may need 4 pieces of foam.

I store my leftover substrate in 5 gallon buckets with lids, works perfect.

Very happy to help! Don't be afraid to ask any more questions you may have. I'm always happy to help.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-14-2019),Hannahvh (03-15-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast