Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,012

5 members and 3,007 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Quarantining new young boa

I know I need to quarantine but just curious about the details. I have 2 corn snakes that are about 1 1/2 years old and I've had them for a year. I just got a 9 mos bci at a reptile show this past weekend.
    My questions are:
    -How long do I have to quarantine, and what does that entail… Having the boa in a completely different room I'm assuming.
    -I obviously don't have a big collection but what are the things I should be looking for if there was an issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Best is kept in another room, & even better is at the other end of the house...but it's up to you.

Tend your original pets first, & always the new snake last...then change clothes & shower before going near the others again.

Never re-offer food between these snakes, & use different feeding tongs etc.

Look carefully for any mites & treat for them IF you see any...you don't want to spread them to your other snakes (they carry diseases & they can be life-threatening
    due to blood loss, because despite being tiny, they reproduce exponentially & can massively overwhelm a snake). Watch for snakes soaking in water bowl (typical
    response to mites) & look closely around the snake's eyes, chin, cloaca...also in the water bowl (some may come off).

Best to keep a new snake on white paper towels for substrate for a while: mites & other* things show up better that way. *Other things to watch for are abnormal
    stool (bloody, excessive mucus, odd color), symptoms of RI (bubbles or mucus around mouth, mouth-breathing, crackling/whistling sounds etc), inability to grip or
    maintain balance...etc. (really anything that looks wrong)

There is no "law" that says you "have to quarantine"...but it's a really good idea, and longer is better. The choice (and the risk) is all yours, & what others do ranges
    from none, to 3-6 months, and even a year+ (depending on how invested you are in your collection). People who are the most adamant about quarantine are often
    those who've either had bad luck in the past, or knew someone who sustained losses by not doing so...& especially those who have a lot invested in their animals (&
    I don't mean just financially invested). It's up to you. It's better to do it & find out it was a waste of effort than to have all your animals get sick & need vet care, or
    worse.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-13-2019),cletus (03-13-2019),dakski (03-13-2019),JRLongton (03-13-2019),richardhind1972 (03-13-2019),Saml8 (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Re: Quarantining new young boa

Thanks for all the info!! The new snake is on a different level of the house then the others so hopefully it's far enough away.